Passive Aggressive behaviour

03 Sep
Rasi M Sethia

Hello everyone, I was studying and came across the word passive-aggressive. To understand it properly I googled it and while reading an article it struck my mind that my friend's behaviour more or less matches but i am not totally sure whether i am correct or not. Do all the characteristics mentioned in the article has to match or 5-6 characteristics would also serve the purpose? Can a person be passive aggressive towards one person only or few people only and not towards everyone ? Can a passive- aggressive person be into charity ? I am attaching the article I read. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/communication-success/201508/10-signs-passive-aggressive-relationship

Responses 1

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Sep 07, 2017 09:57 AM

Hi there, 

I'd like to explain what passive agressive means, to you. Passive aggressive behaviour is basically indirect hostile behaviour aimed at a certain person. When  I say indirect, I mean the person doesn't directly say he or she is angry or insult the other individual in a straight-forward manner, to their face. Instead, they might resort to sarcastic comments, procrastination, stubbornness. 

I read a great definition online, which I'm pasting here : Passive aggressiveness is indirectly expressing negative feelings instead of openly addressing them. There's a disconnect between what a passive-aggressive person says and what he or she does. For a passive-aggressive person, true feelings are shared through actions, not words.

So now that you've understood passive aggressiveness, you may realise that all of us are passively aggressive at times. It is not a category of people but a behaviour - a defence mechanism, even - that comes out from time to time. Some people are more passively aggressive, which is what your friend may be, but this certainly doesn't mean that they have to fit in to all 10 points in the article to be considered passive aggressive, it just means they resport to this  sort of aggression more than others. 

Either way, passive aggressiveness can get very frustrating and if you feel like your friend is being a little too passive-aggressive, have a chat with her and let her know.