Work stress is affecting relations

24 Sep
Name Confidential

Hello all. I am 35 years old and have been working in one organization for the last four years. I am fed up with the work and the environment but don't see any option to get away from it. This leads to frustration  and its affecting my personal relationships. I do medidate but still i cannot maintaim my composure. Please help.

Responses 7

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Oct 01, 2017 10:57 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing good. I can understand your situation. You can do the following things to relieve your stress or can lower it down.

1 Firstly try to be as much positive as you can. Think good thoughts and start your day on a positive note.

2 Utilise the free time by doing the activities you enjoy and that makes you happy.

3 Spend your weekends with your family and with your loved ones.

4 Listen to soothing music whenever you get time.

5 Do physical exercise as this wll help you stay fit as well as keep you happy.

6 Have a good diet and stay hydrated.

7 Don't take your work tension home and spend your evening with family members happily.

Always remeber that everyone is struggling, just make the struggle worth having.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Oct 01, 2017 12:06 PM

Hey there! I hope you are doing well. Work stress is absolutely normal and is affecting so many people today. But the best thing is to realize that it is not impossible to deal with and that it can be oercome by little efforts. It can negatively affect your body. It can cause muscle pain, headache, low libido, fatigue, sleep problems, and digestive problems. It also causes restlessness, anxiety, irritability, and depression. Stress can adversely alter your behavior — it can lead to angry outbursts, overeating, alcohol and drug abuse, social withdrawal, and weight changes. When you walk out of your office every day, make sure to leave your stress at the door. Leaving the office at the end of the day when you still have a lot of work to do can be tough. Once you step out of your office, you must make a conscious decision to release your nagging work-related thoughts and focus on your family. Close your eyes and gently acknowledge these thoughts and say something like “I am starting to think about work. If you fail and still take work stress home with you, try some breathing and relaxation exercise to stop negative thoughts. I hope this helps!

• Akshita Tyagi
    Akshita Tyagi   Sep 29, 2017 11:01 PM

Hey there.... 

You seemed quite stressed out and worried about your life. As you have stated that it isn't possible for you to get out from that organization, here are a few things that you can do to help yourself- 

1. Leave your stressful issues at work... I know it isn't that easy but you have to pull it up. Look continuous exposure to too much stree would take a toll on your personal life as well as your own health. So it is important to do this. Leaving stress of work at the workplace would actually give you an opportunity to enjoy the rest of time you have left with you.

2. Limit the stress talk... This to keep your mind diverted from work issues at the office. This would enable you to relax and maybe, come up with innovative ideas to deal with the same issues. 

3. Try to engage in activities that calms you down. Now this can be anything from, playing with your pet dog to writing poems. That would again enrich your brain with different ideas. 

4. Lastly, try to spend time with your loved ones. Plan weekends with them and enjoy as much as you can and during this period, be electronically disconnected. Use your cell phones only when truly necessary. 

Hope this would help...

All the best

• Sanjana Dewaji
    Sanjana Dewaji   Sep 28, 2017 11:46 PM

Hello! You seem to be very dissatisfied with the situation that you are in and I hope I could give you a better placed answer, but there isn't much that I am able to work with through your question. I understand that the place you might be at right now is not conducive to your preferences, but why the sudden change of heart and how long have you been feeling this? Well, I am going to work with the idea that you cannot move from where you are.

It is very normal for us to carry on the frustration that we feel at work into other aspects of our life. If we’ve had a good day, we’re pleasant with everyone. But if it is a bad day, things just don’t go right in general. One way that I have found to be most useful is to teach oneself to separate different aspects of our life from each other. For example: work, home, friends and so on. We have several parts that make up our life and sometimes keeping them separate helps in allocating the emotions. So when you go home, you could try to leave behind the problems at work and enter your personal space with a different frame of mind.

This would allow you to leave behind what is bothering you and enjoy what is happening at that moment. I would suggest you continue with the meditation as well.

I hope things get better at work.

• Sadaf Ambreen Saiyad
    Sadaf Ambreen Saiyad   Sep 28, 2017 08:06 PM

Hey there. 

You have not provided much details but with what you have said, I could conclude that you are not satisfied with your job which is making you frustrated and it having  a negative impact on your personal life and relationships. 

My guesses are that you have a lot of work load, or long working hours, unpleasant colleagues or boss, less pay than what you should be getting. It could be any of these reasons or something else and it is affecting you professionally and personally. 

You could search for better jobs that us better suited for you than your current one, and leave your current job. Better work environment and colleagues will help you lessen the frustration. 

If leaving your current job is not an option for you, you could look for ways to cope with the environment. For instance, if you have a beef with someone at work, you could talk it out with them and resolve everything. Or if it's related to work load or extra working hours, you could approach your boss regarding it and instead of losing your cool, you could explain to him rationally what problems you are facing. 

You could also visit a psychologist to get help as to how you can improve your work efficiency and resolve the personal issues that have arisen due to negative job atmosphere. 

Hope this helps. Thanks. 

• Alisha Asif
    Alisha Asif   Sep 28, 2017 12:04 PM

Hey there! 

I see your problem of adjustment in your work environment. 

When a person  faces problem in one of his areas, it eventually effects other areas like home, family, relatives etc as well. 

What you can do is to eliminate those things which causes you distress. Try searching for a new and a better job which gives a good work environment. If in case you cannot quit your job because of some reasons, try communicating with your seniors to help build a healthy and a friendly work environment so that it can be beneficial for both of you. 

Other than that, if one area gives you stress, find happiness in other areas of your life. If work is a stress for you, try doing things you love in your home. Meet people you like often. Try having a day off with your friends. Roam around, meet people, find new friends. This would help you to relieve your burden and will also make you like your work environment maybe a little bit more. 

Try listening to calm and soothing music which will ease your mind. 

Find a thing which makes you happy or relieved, maybe a song or a book or a quote or a story, anything which lightens your mood, and whenever you face anger issues, turn towards it and fell relieved. 

Find peace in yourself rather than from outside sources because the relief your internal self would give you is incomparable to any kind of relief you get from outside. 

Hope this is of some help 

Take care :) 

• Mansvee Singh
    Mansvee Singh   Sep 25, 2017 03:12 AM

Your work situation is unhealthy for you on the basis of what you have told me. You say that your work life is starting to negatively impact your life outside of work and from that I can safely infer that spending time on the job itself is also in all likelihood unpleasant. You have tried to fix your situation by the means of meditation and it has not helped since you are still frustrated. At this point you have two options before you .i.e. you can leave your current job in order to find employment that is better suited to you as person or you can find better ways to cope with your current job.

Since you have not provided me with a lot of detail, I do not have a clear idea of what your job entails and what makes it difficult. This is why I cannot suggest very specific things that might prove helpful.

However I do have a couple of ideas. You can either get professional help from a therapist experienced in industrial/organizational psychology. Said therapist will help you make positive changes in your life that will help you achieve a better work life balance.

Another idea is to be your own therapist and critically examine why your job has become difficult and research ways to make it easier. You can read books on Industrial/Organizational Psychology written for lay people to help you in the endeavor.  

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck and hope you figure something out soon.