I fear Darkness.

17 Sep
ajit kumar

I am often afraid of the dark, the unknown, I am a grown up man now, I am 25, This seems to be foolish, I feel I am behvaing immaturely, But whenever, there is a power cut, I start screaming like hell, and often neighbours have been anxious with my behaviour, they come running to my place thinking there has been some serious problem. Also I am scared to enter a room which is not properly illuminated, my office corridors are often dim in the morning and not, much daylight comes in, I am too scared to go through it, I complain, but for me alone, the company won't provide a special benefit. What should I do?

Responses 4

• Anirban Ghatak
    Anirban Ghatak   Sep 21, 2016 09:08 PM

My brother was scared of darkness, because he was and still is, very much afraid of ghosts :)

• ratnesh tiwari
    ratnesh tiwari   Sep 21, 2016 08:56 PM

I think you are phobic, and the fact that you are raising a question on the forum of a mental health clinic, it is better, you can consult a professional here to get yourself out of this situation.

• romy prasad
    romy prasad   Sep 21, 2016 08:54 PM

My sister had the same problem till the age of 14 years. Now she is moderately fine, but still sometimes, she shouts when she finds a dark room waking up from sleep.

for the same fear, she could not stay in a hostel away from home. She had to take admission in high school in our local area, just because she cannot stay alone in the dark, and there could be a possibility that hostels will turn off the lights at some time. sounds foolish, but happens this way.

• Oyindrila Basu
    Oyindrila Basu   Sep 21, 2016 08:45 PM

We all were afraid of dark when we were children, that was normal, but some of us do retain the childish tendencies after growing up; and then it is called a phobia, a psychic disorder. It is really difficult when people around you do not understand your fears. I am afraid of any moving creature of a considerable size, like cats, dogs, rats etc. But too small or too big animals don't scare me; meaning I am not afraid of cockroaches or spiders or elephants or deers. Now I am unable to explain anyone why I feel uncomfortable in someone's home who has pets; they get annoyed with me, but I instinctively react when I see them around me.