My friend is in anxiety and depression.

19 Oct
Anirban Ghatak

Last day, one of my colegues met me at the mall nearby. He was once my very close friend before he changed company. He has been rising in his career since long, he has tripled his salary scale in 3 years, by chasing different companies. This way he would do what he wanted to, but got paid more every time he changed company. Now he is suffering from anxiety; he is quite unsure of his present state, he is always like waiting at the edge of the cliff to give the next jump, but he is not sure when to take the leap, when the whistle will blow. In the present company, he is working for 5 months now, and he already feels it is time to change; he doesn't know why, but he needs to take an action, but he doesn't know what! He is in anxiety, he is having panic attacks and manic disorders regarding his salary, his market value as a corporate person and the right time to be successful. I can understand, he is thinking too much, about an undefined dilemma. I cannot really explain, but his inner turmoils are taking him into depression; he used to laugh so much, enjoyed movies, but when I offered him to go with me to watch a movie, he refused, he seems so low. Does this happen to many others over here, who are from the corporate? I am worried whether each of us have a doomed fate in this rat race!

Responses 1

• Oyindrila Basu
    Oyindrila Basu   Oct 19, 2016 07:38 PM

corporate anxiety and depression is getting recorded each day on the higher side. Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) found in their 2006 survey that most people at their workplace report of obvious stress and anxiety which interfere with their work.

• 72 percent of people who have daily stress and anxiety say it interferes with their lives at least moderately.
    • 40 percent experience persistent stress or excessive anxiety in their daily lives.
    • 30 percent with daily stress have taken prescription medication to manage stress, nervousness, emotional problems or lack of sleep.
    • 28 percent have had an anxiety or panic attack.
    • Only 9 percent have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. For 50 percent of the population their anxiety disturbs their performance at work. Anxiety disorders cost the U.S. more than $42 billion a year, almost one-third of the country's $148 billion total mental health bill, according to "The Economic Burden of Anxiety Disorders," a study commissioned by ADAA (The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 60(7), July 1999) and hence these days counselling at corporate houses and work places are being made a mandatory service, so that the companies can save on productivity and money.

Book an appointment