How to stay focused on my aim lasting for a long time?

Responses 14

• Felicia crystal Rajan
    Felicia crystal Rajan   May 27, 2017 11:49 AM

Hi there, 

This isn't the problem only with you.  It happens to everyone we often start with something and as time passes we tend to lose interest in it. The only way I think you can keep yourself focused would be by setting small aims and reward yourself once you finish. As a reward you can do something which you've wanted for a long time or something you love and one more thing you should always take up things which interest you don't do things because everyone is doing the same. Take up a job because you want to do it. Don't do anything in pressure of something or someone. I hope this would help you.

Thank you.
    Felicia  

• Arushi Adhikari
    Arushi Adhikari   May 27, 2017 05:59 PM

Motivation is the key through which we can achieve our goals and dreams. Being motivated and full of enthusiasm is not always possible as there are so many distractions due to which usually we get distracted and fails in achieving our admired goals. For being focused and motivated what you can do is, if you are aiming to achieve something then before going into that field or work you should think twice that you are interested in doing it or not. Interest is one of the things for being motivated towards one goal. If we have interest in that field or work then we'll always be ready to do it and will work hard to achieve it. Without interest you can never achieve your goal even if you try manier times. So it is important that before going into that field you should be knowing everything about it and you should have interest and passion about that work. Second for being motivated always what you can do is try to be confident and trust on yourself that you can achieve it. Try to be positive as much as you can and try to be focused, for achieving something you need to be focused in life, as there are so many distractions nowadays for eg. Mobile phones, laptops, games etc. That we usually get distracted easily. We need to be focused towards our goals and for doing this you need to control those distractions for sometime. Doing this will definitely help you in achieving your goals.

• Nandini Ajay Kumar
    Nandini Ajay Kumar   May 27, 2017 07:32 PM

Persistence is the key. Persistence is the fact of continuing in an opinion or course of action in spite of difficulty and opposition. 

It is very common among individuals that the start something and quit it in between as they loose motivation and are no more interested in accomplishing that. This can be due to various reason - loose interest as they proceed, never had any interest in the first place, no external motivation, not rewarding or satisfying, no internal motivation, lazy, lack of confidence in oneself, high pressure or stress, etc.

There is a quote that says - "Whenever you feel like quitting, always remember why you began in the first place." When we say this to ourselves in a situation when we have lost all motivation, it raises many questions in our mind and when we introspect we get an answer as to why that is happening. And, once we know what is causing the problem we can look for solutions and work towards it to stay focused.  

We need to understand that success and failure are a part of life and any other work that we do. Acceptance and Patience help us stay focused on our goal. There is always a very genuine reason as to why we started something. If we feel that the reason we started still exists, even though we might lose our motivation for some time, but we will get back on track after a while. As they say rightly - "Take a break if necessary, but don't stop!"  

• Rachna Lakhanpal
    Rachna Lakhanpal   May 28, 2017 01:03 AM

Do you know about the book called "The Secret" which was a hit in the last decade? 

The main teaching of the book is that if you give out positivity to the world, it comes back to you in a manifold. 

Don't worry, I promise I'm going somewhere with this. Trust me!

The dictionary meaning of motivation is the desire to do something. 

There are actually two main sources of motivation. 

• Internal Motivation
      This is the 'drive' you feel from within to do something or to achieve a goal. 
      The best example I can think of is that of Ramesh Ghopal a mere disabled bangle-seller who cleared the IAS exam. He didn't face any external pressures from his family to achieve this goal---it was the drive within him.

• External Motivation
      This is the external pressures that you feel from your friends, family, relatives, etc. to do good. 

Anyhow, the more motivation you get from within, the more motivated you'd be because that's something you want.

But, there's a problem we face.

When we talk about long-term goals, we all tend to slack off and feel demotivated. Ever seen a college kid or a school kid 'motivated' to study without the pressure of exams? 

Well, chances are that you'd see them do anything but study! 

So, what can you do in such a situation? When the 'reward' you'll get is in the long term? 

That's where 'The Secret' comes in. 

Ever heard the saying, "Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have?" 

Well, I've got a similar concept for you. Whatever your goal may be, try to visualize it as if you've already achieved it. Think about what you'll be doing when you've lost weight/completed your degree/ gotten the promotion. 

Just visualize it, fill yourself with happy thoughts

What this'll help you do is remind you of your goal at all times. 'Fill' yourself with the positive feelings that you'll experience when you reach your goal and that'll make you focus harder on working for it right now

SaveSaveSaveSave

• Aparna Kanmani
    Aparna Kanmani   May 28, 2017 12:10 PM

Any task you do needs some amount of motivation and interest. Losing motivation easily is a common issues faced by many. There are few things you can do to keep yourself going.

• Break your goals into smaller tasks. It is much easier to do it in small steps than look at it as a huge mountain pile. 
    • Reward yourself each time you accomplish a short goal. Give yourself a treat or take a break and enjoy the milestone you crossed. 
    • Determination is key. How ever difficult or boring the task is, make sure you go on until you finish the task. 
    • Consider the benefits of doing the task. Remind yourself why you began the task and you are doing it because you want to and not because you are forced to. 
    • Stick to a time schedule for completing each task. Too much time taken on a single task will make you sluggish and bored.
    • Don't rely too much on external motivation such as friend's validation, boss's praise, salary raise etc. It will make more dependent on them. Focus on satisfaction of the work you have done and how well you have improved from your last attempt. Your own validation is much more valuable. 

Break your laziness, find some new colours, for no one can drive your life better than you do. Stay well...stay motivated :)

• Aanchal Setia
    Aanchal Setia   May 28, 2017 02:09 PM

Hello!

How are you feeling right now? What thoughts surround your mind when you are working? You need to first figure out the reason behind your lack of motivation. Often people procrastinate because they have some bottled up emotions that they are not able to cope with. This results in the lack of concentration and thinking about various issues surrounding one's life. Few people end up procrastinating when their work is very challenging and demanding and that intimidates them. Other times, the work is not as much fascinating and interesting so one would like to avoid doing it. Think about these questions and identify the reason. Once you are aware of the problem, you will be able to figure things out too. For example, one needs to confront their feelings in case of bottled up emotions to clear up their heads. In other cases creating a dream board helps. The dream board consists of writing about and pasting of all the things you wish to achieve in your life on an A4 sheet and stick it near your work table or your bedroom. Every morning when one sees those things, it subconsciously channels the person to achieve those things. If one lacks concentration then try to concentrate for 25 minutes and then take a break. Research shows average humans can concentrate fully for 25 minutes without distractions.
    Please eel free to write back about your reason behind your lack of motivation and, then perhaps we can work to inspire you together.

• Alveera Sheikh
    Alveera Sheikh   May 29, 2017 12:18 AM

Procrastination is one of the major issues in today’s world. One of the main problems noted is that procrastinators mainly need the push to start working. Once they start working – they tend to continue working if they have self-awareness on the fact that once they stop, they will fall back to their procrastination. Some pointers I feel  that helps with reducing procrastination:

• Keep your mobile away from you. It may bother you for a while, you will feel that itch - but once you absorb yourself in the work in front you, it will fade off. It takes at least a few weeks to form a habit, so practice at this technique will take you a long way.
    • Once my mentor told me ‘if you fail to plan, you plan to fail’. Planning is a very crucial part of being disciplined. Most procrastinators have a problem in conducting their plans – so the best option would be to go cold turkey, start where you are no matter what time it is.
    • Start off with an interesting topic. Most times we are unable to initiate a task for the main reason that we do not have the interest to do so. Starting off with an interesting task will give you the motivation to move on to whatever kind of task is next because at that point you are in your work mode –and you automatically begin the next task regardless of what it is.
    • Reinforcement through rewards. Keep rewarding yourself for all the tasks you complete. This will help you to keep the hard work going and will develop the motivation in you to be persistent.

I hope these tips help you in reducing your procrastination and increasing your productiveness! Cheers!

• Sunanda Saha
    Sunanda Saha   May 29, 2017 04:33 PM

I was enlightened by someone once, he said that the only way to keep yourself motivated is to hate everything in your life to such an extent that the only thing you care about is your work. This will never let your concentration shift centre. To tell you the truth that's a really effective way to keep the motivation going cause he is doing quite well in life and has achieved quite a lot.

But is it possible for everyone out there to follow this path? If your answer is no then congrats you are a sane human being. If it's a yes then congrats to you as well; you make the majority of people these days. I got another way out, but that's difficult a path to walk on. I call it "The path less travelled"; the name will become apparent very soon. This idea is based on the Sanskrit term mudita, which means appreciative joy. You should feel positive about the fact that people are progressing around you and get motivated to do the same by observing them. Seems difficult? Really difficult?

Most people are so malignant these days that they will find the first option way easier. It's comfortable for us to envy our colleagues than to gain inspiration from them; isn't it so? But it isn't the fault of any one of us in particular. That's just what society turns us into. Is now my assigned name is a bit clearer? Motivation this way comes very slow but trust me like all good things it takes time but results are phenomenal. The first step towards it is to understand the fact that your envy will not take down someone else's achievement; what it really takes down is your spirit. Think about the times you got B on a paper on which you could have managed a straight A but you didn't because you were busy sulking at the fact that someone else did well at another paper. If its positivity that drives you, you will realise that even tough roads seem like a cakewalk.

Realising this is half the battle won. Now the only thing left to do is to keep in mind why you started on a particular task in the first place. The problem that most of us face is when we start, we are pumped up but as we progress, the zeal starts to fade. This happens because we forget our cause with time whereas it should be just the way opposite. As time passes our will power should strengthen. Whenever you feel like your motivation is going down, stop, and think why you need this, why you want this and what will you achieve after completing this. Motivation is a luxury few people can afford; if you are lucky enough to find it try and hold onto it.

• Rhythm Makkar
    Rhythm Makkar   May 30, 2017 09:04 PM

Hello. I hope you're doing well. 

This is a common problem faced by many. However, it is not a small problem as lack of motivation is a huge barrier for achievement of goals. There are many ways which can help you solve your problem. The first thing you should start doing is making small targets. These targets should be easily achievable. Once you succeed in some parts, you will get a boost of confidence and energy to keep on doing your job. You should give yourself rewards for accomplishing small targets so you don't lose interest. You should be positive nd never lose hope. You should keep telling yourself you can do it and that every job is possible. Failure should not make you give up. Instead, it should teach you get back up and work harder than before. Next, make sure that you really have interest in the goals you are aiming at. If you are enthusiastic about what you have to do, it will be easier for you to achieve your goals. The environment in which you work should also be very positive. People around you should support you and be warm. This way, you will be happy and you will be motivated to complete your work. Another important point is to focus on what you have to do ad how to go about it. You should make a plan and try to follow it. Make plans that you believe you will be able to follow. Keep crossing off steps from your plan (checklists ) once they're done as that also gives motivation. You can also seek someone's help or company for some time. Being able to share your problems with someone you trust, can also sometimes make things easier for you. 

I hope my response helps you. Have a nice day. 

• Manaswini Venkateswaran
    Manaswini Venkateswaran   May 31, 2017 11:16 PM

Procrastination is a problem habit many of us have. There is actually a biological cause behind it. For instance, you may know that you should complete your projects before the deadline in order to reduce your workload and stress, but you will still be tempted to check your phone or watch a few episodes of your favourite TV shows. 

This is because two parts of your brain are in a sort of conflict with each other - the prefrontal cortex (which engages in rational thinking and considers the long-term benefits of completing tasks) and the limbic system (which is connected to the pleasure centres of the brain and is only concerned with things that give you immediate satisfaction (things like eating, playing video games, watching television, etc.) 

The limbic system is what takes over when you feel the urge to procrastinate because the prefrontal cortex gets tired out quite easily. Now that you know the biological cause, here are some strategies to combat the urge to put off work: 

1) Having a to-do list somewhere you can see it so that you are constantly reminded of the tasks that you have to complete.

2) Breaking down each task into smaller tasks (if possible) so that the workload feels lighter and you can go about it in a systematic manner. For example, if you have to give a presentation, you might break down the task as follows - arranging the content that you have to present, preparing a powerpoint presentation and rehearsing what you will say along with the powerpoint presentation. 

3) Cutting off all distractions - the presence of distractions can trigger the limbic system and make you want to avoid work and give into the urge to engage in time-wasting activities. Some ways in which you can cut off distractions are turning off your phone, sitting in a room without a TV or computer, using earplugs to cancel out disturbing noises, etc. 

4) Taking (short!) breaks in-between tasks to reward yourself for being productive and keeping yourself motivated to work towards the next reward. Be sure that you get back to your work on time and that these breaks do not consume precious time. 

Along with the above, you could try some breathing exercises to improve concentration (such as Pranayama). Taking part in a sport and working out regularly has also been known to improve focus. Personally, yoga has helped in keeping me on track with my goals a lot as it uses up my excess energy so that I am not hyperactive and can calm myself down enough to think clearly. 

Hopefully, these tips will help you focus. 
    Cheers!

• Upasana Sridhar
    Upasana Sridhar   Jun 03, 2017 10:47 AM

Hi,

I am sure many of us here can relate to your problem. We seem to easily lose motivation and feel like giving up when we face a slight setback. Different people have different ways of staying motivated. What works for one person may not work for another. The following things help me stay on track. You can try these and see if they work for you.

I try to start my day on a positive note, rather than pressing the snooze button on my alarm, getting ready in a hurry, getting stuck in traffic, and end up giving excuses for being late. I make it a point to listen to motivational TED talks every now and then. I try to surround myself with passionate, focused people. I read books and find inspiration to work hard. I listen to upbeat music when I feel low. I have motivational quotes like the one below, stuck on my walls. Lastly, I make to-do lists regularly. Nothing beats the satisfaction of checking all the items on my list.

Image source:

http://www.planetofsuccess.com/blog/2015/the-75-most-motivational-quotes-ever-spoken/

Apart from these, I always try to set S.M.A.R.T goals i.e., goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-based. I have some long-term goals (eg: becoming fit) and some short-term goals that will help me achieve the long-term one. (eg: not eating junk food for a week)

I hope this helps you and you have a healthy, happy, and amazing life!

• Satinder kaur
    Satinder kaur   Jun 03, 2017 03:26 PM

Hey..there can be two things either you have got the fear of losing or you don't have any interest in what you are doing. For the first case let's just assume that if you excel in your work, how would you feel getting to the higher position? Pretty good..huh? Just keep that image in mind and do the work with your dedication. You can read as many as motivational books you want. Can try for the quotes also. But nothing of this will last longer if you don't have the interest within you to do the work. Fear can be tricky sometimes. It can play with your moods. If you are fearing of the failures than you will retract back from completing your work. But it will always strike in your mind that you have to do something. It will make you angry and irritated as the time passes. Don't let that happen. You can't declare the result before the exam. Once you know you have put all of your efforts, don't worry because that couldn't make your efforts any better. With this comes the comfidence. Let's always face the fear whenever you feel one. What is the worse that can happen? Will you die? or loose all of your money? The 1st case can't happen and for the second one, you can earn more once you overcome your fear. Same thing applies for losing interest. If this thing doesn't suit you, leave. Or you are waiting for the moment when you will loose all the will and the time to go after your dreams. Just analyze want you want, then go for it. It's as simple as it can be written. Don't make it complex. What if you have to start everything from the scratch. Will it be worth? You have given so much time to the unworthy thing, can't you just give some time to what you really are. It all depends upon your decision in the end. So made it wisely and have the courage to walk on the path you have chosen for yourself. I hope this may help you. Keep smiling.

• Rimi Sharma
    Rimi Sharma   Jun 04, 2017 01:57 AM

If you want to stay motivated, you have to give up on the things that distract you. You may be thinking what harm could a few messages possibly do? The answer is a lot of harm! Especially when you’re answering your phone amidst the work you are engaged in.

Here are a few ways to make sure you remain motivated to work:

1. The expectation our close ones have from us can be stressful, yes, but they also are a driving force which motivates us. To remain motivated share your goals with those around you who care for you like your best friend and of course family members. They would keep a check on your progress, making you want to work harder to live up to their expectations.
    2. Imagination is the key here. It was found in many types of research that dreaming or imagining yourself achieving what you want to get has the same effect on the brain’s circuit as achieving something in real life. Meaning, the neurons get excited in the same way upon seeing a vision as they do when a real life situation occurs. So, the more you dream or daydream, the closer you will get to motivating yourself to achieve the feeling of success.
    3. Also, daydreaming makes our minds more creative. If you indulge more in daydreaming, through your newly found creativity you will be able to find many ways of achieving your goal. Thus, you won't have to stick to one single route, but be able to experiment.
    4. Turn to the age-old reward and punishment approach. Reward yourself with something you love, on completion of a set target, and punish yourself for missing it. You have to take adverse steps, though, otherwise, this won’t work. For example, when you cannot complete one chapter from Physics in one day, you give away 100 rupees (or more, whichever is considered a big loss) to your sibling, or to charity.
    5. If you’re getting involved in something like gym, or hobby class, then get a friend who is regular. Together you can set goals and achieve them. The likelihood of a person hitting the gym increases when either they have a friend/ partner or are even reminded by an electronic reminder. In the case of studies, you can set to finish topics or chapters and compare the progress with each other.
    6. Most important of all is making a list of reasons why sticking to the activity is beneficial. You can add the things you will get from completing the task- both, long-term and short-term. You should visit this list every time you feel less motivated.
  • Gourab Banerjee
    Gourab Banerjee   Jun 06, 2017 07:37 PM

Hey,
    A simple explanation – You don’t change anything. You walk on the path of your dreams. No matter what. Just see what lies in the end and that shall motivate you and give you the confidence.
    A detailed explanation – First of all, when you started walking on that path, did you ask anyone? You started on with it because you saw some potential in it. You saw what lies at the end of that path. Then why will you lose focus? Blaming oneself when something doesn’t go right, is a common problem every person faces once in their life at least. But what you should remember is looking at the bigger picture. Even a thirsty crow keeps on throwing pebbles into the pot so that the water comes up. Even a cheetah keeps on running after its prey until it gets on it. Now what you might see is some people telling that that deer is so weak and the cheetah is running after it to eat it. That’s one way of looking at it. But no one ever looks at what the cheetah is after. It is after its food. It is after its habit. Sometimes, what you do might not look good to others, but if it’s good to you, you should walk on it. Yes. It does harm others at times, but even in a war, there is collateral damage.
    When you start on with a new work, look at the possibilities of what it might give you. When you put money in something, it can either be an investment or an expense. It matters how you perceive it. Motivation comes from expectations. You see when you start a work, you expect something from it. That motivates you. And that motivation gives you the confidence to work ahead. Sometimes, you might see things not going your way, but that’s not just the end of it. Sometimes, you can see your back against the wall, but you got to fight back. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Book an appointment