Shameful OCD: worried that my sister thinks I was looking at her boobs

30 May
victor de

kid staring at boobs

I am a 19 years old boy from UK. I have been suffering from OCD from more than 5 years now.
One day I and my sister planned to go for shopping together. After I got ready, I knocked on her door. She opened the door, she had changed her dress. I started looking at her chest for a minute; probably I was making sure that she has finished dressing up, if that makes sense. I was a bit absent minded as well. Anyway, I guess I was looking at the area directly above her boobs because I was worried she wouldn't be dressed or something and my vision went to her cleavage.

man looking at breasts
This happened few days ago. Not sure if she even noticed this, or if she did notice, might have not thought anything weird about it. But now I feel like talking to her, telling her that I wasn't looking at her boobs. Of course that's awkward, but she knows I have OCD and would understand...what do I do?

Image source: Smosh and Naukri Nama

Responses 3

• Upasana Sridhar
    Upasana Sridhar   Jun 05, 2017 09:29 AM

Hi,

It is always better to clarify than wonder what she is thinking of you. If you feel awkward about approaching her directly, text her. Awkwardness is reduced by a large extent when you aren’t face-to-face with the person. But this also has a disadvantage. You will never know what she is really thinking. When you are face-to-face with a person, you listen to the person as well pick up on body language cues, consciously or subconsciously. You can then compare the cues and the words and this gives you a better idea of what the person is actually feeling.

A better idea would be to begin the topic of your OCD and its funny consequences. Once that topic is brought up, you can say something like, “Once I was checking if a girl had finished dressing up, and she thought I was looking at her boobs! In fact, it happens with almost every girl.” This way, even if she was thinking that you were looking at her cleavage, she will be relieved and will just laugh it off. From her body language, if you still feel that she has a doubt, go ahead and clarify directly.

I hope this helps you. All the best!

• Sayantani Dey
    Sayantani Dey   May 31, 2017 07:37 PM
    1. Hi.I can understand how you are feeling about this incident.But beleive me.If you are feeling guilty about that situation, it might be because you did it unconditionally! Just be sure it will not happen again.Stay happy and healthy.
  • Rhythm Makkar
    Rhythm Makkar   May 31, 2017 06:48 AM

Hello. I hope you're doing well. 

I understand that your intention was not to look at her inappropriately. Maybe she noticed, maybe she did not. If this happened a few days ago, I do not think that it is a good idea to bring it up with your sister. Yes, it would be awkward, but more than that, it would also be unnecessary. It's better to leave it at that and try not to repeat the same thing again. Although, if she shows some signs of being upset, there is no harm in clarifying your intentions. Just make sure you do not make her feel uncomfortable because that could ruin things. I'm sure she will understand your problem. 

I hope my response helps you. Have a nice day!

Book an appointment