I'm suffering from Bipolar disorder. Should I continue my BTech?

23 Oct
Name Confidential

I’m diagnosed as bipolaric

I'm a BTech first year student and I'm suffering from the same since my 9th class and all I have lost are my marks, topper performance, IIT JEE and a number of friends. Last week, after a lot of roaming around psychiatrists, I was finally diagnosed as bipolaric and put on lithium and meds. I can't feel active and energized because of meds and feel almost doziness all the time. I could not and now I can't concentrate on mu studies and fail activities and I'm at home with a medical leave of 10 days. My college is 200kms from my home. How can I continue my degree and will I BE A GOOD ENGINEER? WHAT IF I NEED TO DROP FROM COLLEGE?

Responses 1

  • Shiva Raman Pandey
    Shiva Raman Pandey   Oct 23, 2015 04:43 PM

    It's good that you got the needed medical attention. However, since this is a mood disorder, you will need good psychotherapy to start controlling your own mood and getting life back in your hands.
    And yes, people with bipolar can work very well as long as they get psychotherapy and necessary medications as needed. You can get the required counseling and second opinion about your medications here.