How to tell bitter truth to depressed father?

28 Jan
Name Confidential

I am pursuing my MBA final year, and belong to a family who does not believe in intercast marriage. I started feeling strong emotion for a guy studying with me. We both like each other's company, we hang out together, and the main thing is he cares for me. When I told my mom about my relationship, she was very upset, because my father is a depression patient. She is very much worried about this. If I tell it to my father, he definitely will not say much, but will undergo depression, and feeling always sad (like he usually does when he has depression symptoms). Please guide me how to solve this conflict?

Responses 1

• Dr. KV Anand
    Dr. KV Anand   Jan 30, 2016 02:39 PM

Dear, you only have two options. One is to ignore your family's hardships and go with your lover. Second is to ignore your emotional problems and be with your parents. You are grown up and you are wise enough to take decisions. Prepare a list of pros and cons of both the situations and tabulate them. Go with the options which has most merits (you are a business student, mind you). You may have to loose something to gain something important. Take wise decision.

My choice will be always the second.

Take care.

Book an appointment