How do you prevent someone from falling back to a previous mental state / tilting

02 Feb
Name Confidential

I don't know if my terminology is correct, but here's an explanation of what tilting means: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tilting

So a little about the situation: I do Dota 2 coaching (Dota 2 is a very famous multiplayer video game) and usually the first coaching i ever do with a student i would clear misconceptions and get him to think properly. For example someone would come over to me and start complaining about how his other teammates are bad and he can't win games because they're holding him back (Dota is a 2 teams 5 on 5 game where you get matched with some random 4 strangers for your team). Now in most cases i can clear out these misconceptions by giving proof (for example that if he had my skill/experience that he'd win all these games). this creates trust in between us so he will become more open-minded and he can learn faster. This method is the best I've found so far and it revolves around having a nice approach to your student which will result in him learning faster/better. Now most people will be able to be converted from a way of thinking where they blame their teammates for their own mistakes to a proper one where they will blame themselves and are open to improvement and being criticized. But there are some cases where people will go back aka tilt due to a loss or other reasons that can cause stress, i think this might have to do something with defense mechanisms which are very common in these cases (aka they'll try to blame others, reject advice or try to find excuses etc.).

So my question is: how do i get a nice approach or method to prevent someone from falling back into a older state where he isn't very accessible?

Responses 1

• Dr. Ibrahim Abunada
    Dr. Ibrahim Abunada   Feb 03, 2016 12:59 PM

Dear, I think it is so nice to find ways to engage students in shared games. But more productive is to choose other activities and games that give the opportunity to the teammates to be more involved with each other.

- Help the vulnerable person to take part and succeed in certain activity to rise his self-esteem.

- Give him some missions or duties he can fulfill successfully to rise his self-esteem.

- Give him the chance to express himself and his skills within the group work without underestimating his capabilities.

- Ask him to talk with you or with professional when he feels stressed.

- Try to help him build relationships with his classmate based on respect and understanding.

- It is important to positively enforce him when he achieve any progress.

- Try to encourage him to be positive toward the others as much as possible.

- If it is possible you can use Cognitive behavioral therapy apprach CBT to help him change his distorted thoughts.  

Take care

Book an appointment