07 May
Name Confidential
My wife has been suffering from severe depression for the last 4 years.This depression was brought on by her mother's death , followed by brother's sudden death , sale of family house & now compounded by the imminent departure of our son for his studies abroad.She was referred to a psychiatrist who prescribed anti depressants about 8 months back . She stopped taking them without completing the prescribed course.I have been trying to convince her to continue her treatment but she is just not ready to listen.Over the last few months she has totally lost it & has tried many times to injure herself physically . Our marriage is in the doldrums .Her brothers & sisters live abroad & no one is ready to interfere , bcoz they cannot stand each other .They have a family history of similar depression , OCD's , etc.They expect me to take care of her till death do us apart ! I am left with very limited choice with 2 teenaged kids in the house ! Pls advice .

Responses 2

  • Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Jun 20, 2017 05:34 PM


       I think you can make your wife to continue the courses. If she avoids it try it in a different way like some online experts like ewellness expert.They are available in any ways like through video/audio calls and chats.You can prefer your own doctors and psycartists.Being self-Injuring is too danger.If you allow her alone for any reason then it may leave you into a plight situation.Try to conuslt with some therapies and treatments asap.

      Make your wife to first releive from the depression.Try to spend your time in pleasant environment.Make her to listen some musics else to do her favourite hobbies.Make a walk of 10-15 mins daily.And as its now your only responsibility to take care of her,my best opinion is to consult some psyacartist for counseling and treatments.

    Take care!!!

  • Dr. KV Anand
    Dr. KV Anand   May 07, 2016 09:52 PM

    Dear, I am sorry for your pathetic condition. Clinical depression or depressive disorder is a neurochemical disorder. Clinical depression is usually treated with a combination of psychiatric medicines, psychotherapy, life style changes, meditation and exercise. I hope your wife is undergoing psychiatric treatment, otherwise, please approach a psychiatrist.  I will not say that it is difficult to cure, for sure, it takes time. Once you make the necessary amendments in your life with the help of the above said therapies and life style changes, learn how to manage the depressive episodes without medicines and learn to relax, the medicines can be weaned off over a period of one year. The best option for you is to undergo counseling and depression related therapy. Take care.

Book an appointment