Can depressed person fit for marriage?

20 Mar
Name Confidential

hi sir.This is reg my friend who is in depression for a while.(Doctor told us she is suffering with "Adjustive disorder with depression features)We consulted a doctor and she is under medication..She is perfectly allright now.

My query is whether she is considered for marriage especially arrange marriage.If so should we tell propsed groom /family about condition on medication and depression.?What if we do not tell them and get her married then in future would it be a problem..We are extremely worried and concerned on this situation..Can pls answer this query ??

Responses 5

• Dr. KV Anand
    Dr. KV Anand   Mar 20, 2017 10:32 AM

Dear user. I can understand.  Adjustment disorder with depression features is more of a life style disorder rather than psychological depressive disorder.  In fact this is just an adjustment problem.  I don't see reason for even medication. 

Progressive counselling and adjustment therapy must have cleared the problem.  You have not mentioned your friends age. Do let me know.  

The problem will be cleared within two months with the methods I suggested.  Relapse is never a possibility.  So you can decide whether to tell or not (regarding marriage issue).

Take care 

• Vishweshwar mattam
    Vishweshwar mattam   Mar 21, 2017 02:27 AM

Hi Sir..Thanks much for reply..Yes after consulting Doc this what he told(Adjustment  behavior(?)however due to adjustment problmes she was extremely angry n she even Hospitalised twice..Her age is 28 now...What you suggest sir,Is she can marry ?As a professional doc what you suggest in this matter..Even through marriage is Personal want to bring this question because her parents just Confused and do not have any awareness on this..Pls confirm..

• Dr. KV Anand
    Dr. KV Anand   Mar 21, 2017 10:28 AM

Dear user. Regarding marriage, there is no problems at all.  After some time, with proper therapy and medication, the problem will be cured. Marriage is OK.

The question is whether to divulge the treatment history to spouse or not. Here you should take well-thought-of decision.  Most of Indian family are conservative.  My advise would be to divulge. Take care 

• Vishweshwar mattam
    Vishweshwar mattam   Mar 21, 2017 11:50 AM

Hi Sir..Sure noted,Thanks much for your advise..

• Parnika Jhunjhunwala
    Parnika Jhunjhunwala   Jun 14, 2017 12:43 AM

Hello

Firstly, marriage is based on absolute trust and honesty. Or any relationship to that matter. Honesty is a quality required in every relationship. Especially if it is an arranged marriage, then I think you should be upfront about any problems that your friend is facing or recovering from currently.

If she has fully recovered and it's now in the past, if her problem doesn't bother her anymore or never will in the future, then maybe you can abstain from telling this. 

It becomes all the more necessary in an arranged marriage to sort things out right I'm the beginning. As you rightly mentioned, it might become a problem sometime later which will only add more mental stress and tension to your friend. So it'll be better if you talk things out very clearly and precisely. Let there be no confusion or queries at all. 

I hope this helps! 

Book an appointment