Responses 4

• Shena Shaikh
    Shena Shaikh   Jul 01, 2017 02:21 PM

Hi! I hope you are doing well!

Teenage years are difficult for many as this period is a transition from childhood to adolescence. The type of socialization also changes and there is a lot of variability in adolescence adjustment. Biological (sexual maturity and hormonal changes), Social (changes in socialization and expected roles) and Psychological (neurodevelopmental changes, self concept changes) forces combine to influence adolescent development.

Introversion is a personality type. Introverts are quiet, reserved, less sociable, highly ordered individuals. They usually prefer solitary activities and take their time to get close to a few select friends. Introverts do not mind being left out of social activities and breathe a sigh of relief when they aren’t required to attend them.

They wouldn’t mind their friend(s) socializing with others as they in fact, prefer to be left alone. Being introverted has little to do with feeling left out or ignored for someone else. No one likes that. However, the introvert may be less inclined to discuss it than an extrovert.

Teenage years come with their spike in hormones which make teens easily agitated and sensitive. The best thing for someone in this situation to do is to talk to their friends! Most often, those friends have no idea they are hurting the introvert as they would have refused similar interaction in the past. The introvert should also understand that these sociable friends may be extroverts and need to socialize with a lot of people. Talking it out can sort negative feelings between friends :)

Hope this helps you!

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jun 21, 2017 05:49 PM

Hello there!

Teenage is an age where one develops and interacts the most.It's a carefree age where seeking social validation becomes the most important factor.That validation is seeked through increasing social media platforms since they are the easiest way out.Introverts have also started to voive their opinions on such websites since it is a passive form of expression.According to me,a person has all kinds of friends and how they are on social media does not in any way affect their terms with introvert peers.

If the extrovert person really thought about the other person's introversion,he would not have befriended him at first.It is a sheer misconception that an introvert shall lose his extrovert friends because of their socializing tendencies.I have seen introverts,as a matter of fact,becoming more social being in the company of extroverts.Moreover,introversion and extraversion are just layers of individuals what really matters is the real self beneath such traits.Provided the friendship bond is strong and there is mutual compassion and understanding,no factor like socializing shall affect that bond.As discussed by others in the forum,those who matter do not mind your personality type and those who mind,should not matter.

To conclude,I would suggest that one should not be afraid of losing friends on such petty issues and if it is still bothering you,you might should also consider socializing,in your shell.It might help you develop and that bond with your friend you fear losing might strengthen as well.At the end,what really matters is on what terms you both are and how well your bond is.If it is still bothering you,feel free to talk to your friend about your fear and talk it out.Nothing shall affect it thereafter.

Hope this helps!

• Priya Ratti
    Priya Ratti   Jun 21, 2017 04:29 PM

Introverts are people who usually have a small set of friends that they can count on. Yes, they do not socialize as such in comparison to an average extrovert.

I believe losing friends is a fear that both introverts and extroverts would have.But, being left alone is not something that an introvert wouldn’t fear. Rather, they recharge in their time alone. They usually like to avoid social settings, and prefer to spend their time alone. In contrast, when it comes to losing friends, I think its not a cause of worry because though introverts rely on a very few people, these bonds are very strong. Introverts have a deep and meaningful relationship with the selected few they call friends. So with the level of understanding they share, fear a friends’ loss is not a concern.

There is also a responsibility upon the friend on the introvert to his/her nature and how they don’t prefer socializing that much. It’s on their part to stick by their friend if they’re one of the few that an introvert feels comfortable with.But honestly, being an introvert myself, I do not fear losing friends because I know how close we are to each other. My best friend is very social, and talks to a lot of people, but I know that no matter what happens I wouldn’t lose her to another ‘extrovert’.

• Manaswini Venkateswaran
    Manaswini Venkateswaran   Jun 21, 2017 01:53 PM

A good friend would understand the introvert's ways and would value the friendship enough to not leave for such a trivial reason. I'm an introvert myself and I have grown to be a lot more secure in my identity because I know that the true friends would understand me and accept me no matter what. 

You must have heard the saying, "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" and that's exactly the attitude all of us need to have, not just introverts.

Who likes you and who doesn't may seem like the most important thing at this point but in the long run, it doesn't count for much. Having a few friends you can count on is much better than having many who don't really care about you. 

There's nothing wrong with being extroverted but I feel like it's normal and healthy to have an "inner circle" of sorts. You should know which people to prioritize and which to not. The rest are all temporary but these are your constants.

If they leave for silly reasons such as you not socializing enough, that just means that they are not your constants. 

I hope this answers it!

Book an appointment