Is stress really helpful?

30 Jun
Sameeksha Pavaskar

As they say stress helps you to perform better.When you are under immense stress there are chances that you might take the wrong decisions.It is generally said that when you are experiencing good stress there are higher chances that you will perform better.When you are appearing for exams,stress should actually help you in performing better but why is it the case that people tend to engage in unethical activities like cheating or copying?Then how can you distinguish between the good stress and a bad one?Can a person experience both the types that is the good one and the bad one at the same time? 

Responses 6

• Rinkle Jain
    Rinkle Jain   Jul 01, 2017 07:42 PM

Hey there,

Positive stress or Eustress has a lot of benefits. It helps a person perform better as it provides us with intrunsic motivation. We also have distress or negative stress. This stress is negative in nature and results in physical and psychological fatigue. It is very important for us as a person to discriminate between positive and negative stress. For eg, a situation may arise different kinds of stress among different people. A Public speaking event can arise distress in someone who has stage phobia while it can arise eustress in someone who doesn't have stage phobia. The best way to discriminate between Eustress and Distress is the emotion that arises with the stress. If you are in a stressful situation but you feel optimistic about the result and feel confident that you will be able to manage it and you feel intrunsic motivation, then it is Eustress that you are feeling. But if a situation makes you feel hopeless and pessimistc, then you are experincing distress. Distress is not healthy for your physical and psychological health hence best to reduce it. And no, it is not possible to experince both the tye of stress for a same situation. You can feel both the stresses for 2-3 collective situation but one individual situation cannot trigger both distress and eustress. 

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Jul 01, 2017 01:17 PM

Hi!!!

Stress can actually be good under right circumstances.stress are good stress and bad stress.

Good Stress:

Good stress is also referred as Eustress,which can propek you to work forward and achieve something.Even though you are assigned with something good you feel stressed about it.situations that contributes to eustress like a deadline,a speech and a test.A deadlline for example,will make you to focus on the tasks assigned for you and can complete it with specific intervals and breaks can complete it.

Bad Stress:

However,if you are always scrambling of the deadline then you feel exhausted and become weaker and ongoing causes will make you to the bad stress.Situations that contributes to the  bad stress are relationship trouble/misunderstandings,losing your friend/collegues,ongoing high demands on work.

We can handle bad stress which makes us to feel frustrated.can begin a daily yoga and meditations practices,accept what you have to accept and change what you can,ad can help others which all the above can make us to feel fresh and overwhelming.

Hope,it helps you!! 

Take care   :)

• SAKSHI BAJAJ
    SAKSHI BAJAJ   Jun 30, 2017 11:08 PM

Hi,

So, basically stress is of two types: 

Good stress is also known by the term eustress, and is a type of mild stress that people experience on a regular basis. It has been proven that a certain amount of stress is actually helpful in fostering one's performace. Stress when handled carefully and managed can improve one's work ethic. It is important for us to take a minimum amount of stress so that we can function productively. However, there are certain stages of stress as has been described by psychologists. Stress in excessive amounts can lead the body into exhaustion and that is the negative kind. Stress is good as long as it keeps you up to mark and active. But when you stress too much, it takes a toll on your nervous system and wears you out.

I don't think people engage in unethical activities because they are stressed. It is a proof that they didn't prepare well and are not even afraid to cheat off of others. This shows that there is no stress at all. Not even the good and healthy kind. There are people who have severe exam anxiety and i have seen them suffer because of that. That is a result of too much stress which is harmful for the body in the long run. So i don't think that a person can have good stress and bad stress simultanoeusly. 

• Shriya Naidu
    Shriya Naidu   Jun 30, 2017 10:51 PM

Hi,

The good stress that you’re referring to is Eustress. It does help you perform better. When you take an exam situation, Eustress will come into play when the nearing date of the exam stresses the person out enough to make them sit and study (increasing performance). Eustress also works well during the exam wherein the right amount of stress will help you remember the answers of the questions.

Bad stress on the other hand, more commonly known as distress is when one starts getting extreme anxiety or panics in a situation. In that sort of a situation the decision making of the person is badly hampered and they end up in a bad situation because of bad performance. Consider the exam situation. Distress would be caused in a person when they get so stressed out about the upcoming exams that they aren’t able to concentrate or are not able to develop a mood to study so they end up unprepared for the exam. In this case, to pass the person is forced to use ill means of passing. Therefore the stress caused the person to perform badly before and during the exam.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the question!

• Rashmi Kalra
    Rashmi Kalra   Jun 30, 2017 09:22 PM

Good Stress or Eustress is said to help us perform better but as they say, Every mind works differently; I think that's where the whole thing can be summed up.

For example, I had medical science I'm class 12 and I was awful in physics. There was something about it that I could just not understand. No matter how hard I tried or if I studied regularly, I would not score a good grade.

The teacher would call me out while explaining things in the class and even if I had had gone through that topic already, I still wouldn't know the answer.

So this one time, I had messed up my grades really bad and this was my moment of 'Stress'

It could definitely be have converted to Eustress but I went into a state of Distress instead. I would think about methods to cheat than to study to just pass the exam. Since no matter how much I tried, I just couldn't score good so I went on to a different path.

Eventually though, with help of my mother I started concentrating on physics than the ways to cheat.

I guess that's how Eustress and Distress work. Your mind finds the easy way out while you're under pressure; some people feel threatened by the situation so much that they try to overcome it (Good Stress) and some people are afraid of flunking, so they would find ways to cheat or maybe avoid a particular stressful situation.

Next, I think both kinds of stress cannot appear together in a person at the same time at least. 

You can feel the distress first but then buck up and reach that point of realisation where completion of a task becomes more important than cribbing about it or trying the unfair means, that's when it becomes Eustress.

The reverse can happen too but in my opinion, I don't think both can appear at the same time.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jun 30, 2017 09:04 PM

Hey,

Well yes, the stress known as 'Eustress' is said to improve one's performance and generally feels exciting. To answer your question, I came up with the following points:

1.By definition, if we see , eu stressor or a positive stressor is the one that improves one's performance or is perceived within one's coping abilities. Now if a person has to indulge into practices like cheating during exams, we can infer that may be 'exam' as a stressor was never positive for the person in question. the person having perceived exam as a negative stressor and thus outside one's coping abilities can resort to cheating or copying. after all , whether we perceive a particular stressor as positive or negative depends on our perception and is unique to every individual.

2. Well , another thing that I thought about was that, it's never the case that a eu stressor or a good stressor leads to 'good' or ethical activities or a negative stressor(distressor) leads to bad or 'unethical activities'. the only thing that differenciates a good stressor from bad one is that a good stressor motivates performance while a bad one decresaes it, without any focus on the 'act'per se. May be exam is a eu stressor and it motivated one's performance causing one to act( cheat or copy), though the act in itself was wrong.

And yes,a person may experience both good and bad stressa the same time.

I hope I have made myself clear.

Book an appointment