What are the real ways to make your child perfect?

01 Jul
Sameeksha Pavaskar

Nowadays, we find that the parents tend to send their kids to 10,000 different classes.When asked they say that they want to make their kids perfect.Is just sending to classes the only way to make the children perfect?What are the other ways in which the child can be groomed in better ways?Many times the parents don't have the time to spend with their children and so they tend to compensate that by engaging children in different activities?What are the different ways in which the child can be given attention and what the better ways in order to make the child a good human being?

Responses 4

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Jul 03, 2017 12:14 AM

I remember when I was younger my mother used to send me for Kathak classes, singing classes, piano classes, Bollywood dance classes, tennis classes and math classes. In the beginning I used to hate going to those classes but soon I developed a very keen interest in dancing and singing. I was not great at tennis so I eventually stopped attending those classes and my mother put me in math class because in 8th grade I was not performing well in that subject. The math classes also didn’t last long because I eventually improved in math.

Those classes that I attended in my childhood have shaped me to be who I am today. Similarly, my mother tried to put my sister in Bharatnatyam classes and my brother in drum classes but both of them never really liked it so they stopped eventually.

My point here is that I believe as kids it is very important to start exploring different areas in which we could develop and grow. Some areas might not be meant for us whereas some areas click instantly and soon become a part of our identity. The aim for these classes should not be competition or “to be perfect,” but the aim should be for learning and development.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 02, 2017 08:50 PM

Well the first thing parents must understand is that 'perfection' in itself is a very big myth that they harbour. By perfection if they mean that their kids must excel in each and every field ,well then , they must understand that they are putting excessive pressure on their kids and nothing else.

The first way to bring up a child well is parental  affection and care. While parents may be engaged in their work, sparing out sometime for their kids might work wonders for them.

Further the definite potential of the child must be recognised and given a boost in the same direction.

Comparison must be stopped.

Family environment must be healthy free of conflict among family members. After all the first step to making a child a good human being is to keep family environment pleasant.

• Melissa D'souza
    Melissa D'souza   Jul 02, 2017 10:55 AM

The first question that came to my mind is,how do parents define 'perfect'?

One needs to realise that humans are different and humans include children, hence being imperfect is a part and parcel of our life. Encouraging kids to excel at stuff they are wish to be good at is helping them be perfect in that. 

How is it today that we attribute perfection to number of classes one attends? Lets foucs in esteemed individuals like Steve Jobs, Sachin Tendulkar, Asha Bhosle.Arent they looked up as perfect? How did they become perfect.They developed their skills on activities they wished to excel at.

In a similar ways,children should be encouraged to do their best in what interests them.Sure, excelling at academics isn't everyone's cup of tea but along with engineers and doctors we also need musicians, artisits, swimmers.

While we live in a society which emphasises academic excellence,we should strive to form a balance in the multiple activities one would like their kids to engage in but should not forget that children shouldnt be  forced to do multiple activities as it would lead to unwanted stress and illness.

• Rashmi Kalra
    Rashmi Kalra   Jul 01, 2017 11:37 PM

There was this chapter in an English class I took back in middle school about the author who at the age of ten, didn't know what he wanted to do. He tried so many professions, being an ice cream guy and teacher and what not, later discovered that he didn't like any of professions he had tried.

So when he got panicked about what he would do in his life since he didn't like any of the jobs he took, his mother or grandmother, I don't really remember but they told him that the only job you need is to become a good human being. That should be the greatest job you'll do to yourself and the people around you.

I think being kind, being good to others is what makes a child perfect. 

No one wants their child to become a successful but a man with mal heart, right?

All the skills do help to groom a child better, but making them learn the importance of being kind and being empathatic is what makes them the perfect child.

Second, I think no other activity can compensate the time parents dont/cannot spend with their children. As much as the child enjoys those activities, spending time with their parents tops them all. Just because the parents have work and their own lives, doesn't mean they have to neglect the child now.

Might sound really philosophical but I think the real job isn't giving birth to a child, the job starts when you have to nourish the child and make her/him a better person.

It's all about the balance, I guess. Your job's Important, spending time with your spouse is important but making time for your child on weekends and doing activities they like, together strengthens the relationship between parents and children even though the parents are loaded with work.

Book an appointment