Educating the older generation

03 Jul
Reshma Venugopal

It's no surprise that the older generation i.e. our parents and grandparents are often against everything the younger generation do. The frustrating part of all of these arguments is that they are all about "what one should not do". While, the younger generation doesn't find anything wrong with the way they live their lives. Therefore my question is, how can we reduce these everyday conflicts? Do you think we should just let them be the way they are, or expect them to change to our younger generations' ways?

Responses 4

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Jul 04, 2017 05:15 PM

Hello there! 

This generation gap is quite the problem that needs to be resolved in every family. The difference in opinions, values and beliefs lead to bitter arguments instead of healthy discussions which degrade relationship between the two generations. 

It is a person's tendency to revolt against anything that they do not believe in without listening! I suggest that before jumping to any conclusion, you listen to what your parents and grandparents have to say. They are clearly more experienced than you are at certain aspects of life, as the younger generation we can learn a lot from instead of overlooking their feedback. 

Talk to your parents or grandparents when they say 'no'. Let them understand your points and concerns while giving them the chance to explain their concerns and points as well instead of banging your room door and shutting yourself in a corner. 

If they are concerned about your safety and security, give them the resolution to these problems by helping them know how you are safe. 

Ask them to trust you and think of you as an independent individual who is capable of making his/her own decisions. Tell them it's important for you to make your own life choices and learn from it. Just be polite and respectful. 

Hope this helps. 

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 03, 2017 07:35 PM

Hey

I think adopting the middle path in most of the cases will help resolve the inter - generation conflicts i.e. neither giving in to their views nor expecting them to 'change' their views completely.

Well, the first way to avoid such conflicts is to listen- listen to their views and then putting our views forth without losing our temper. It is often seen that whenever such conflict of views arises, the younger generation loses their temper and each such conflict end as they being dubbed as disrespectful of the elders . This shouldn't happen. Keeping an open mind and an attentive ear is the first prerequisite for this. Then try and understand their point of view as well.

Make a space between yourself and your parents( or grandparents) that fosters conversation not conflicts.

• Melissa D'souza
    Melissa D'souza   Jul 03, 2017 02:17 PM

Hi

Generation gaps are further complexed by changes in our lifestyle,technology,ambitions etc. Our elders grew up in times that witnessed WW2 or closer home the Independence struggle or economic reforms ike globalisation.All these events have had signinficant impact on thier upbringing as well as ours. 

Generation Y or Generation Z today or as we like to call ourselves 'the millenials';We can say we grew up at a time where barriers between countries or cultures are significantly broken down by technology or influence of media. As a result we are quite different than our elders in many ways.

Clashes between generations may be-

•  future education(our elders didnt necessary have this benefit),
    • how we spend,
    • use of technology,
    • Independence
    • values

Solution to these always lies in confronting the issues at hand.I understand that they may not always accept your ways of living but, they arent at a age to grasp new information readily. They have stereotypes and prejudices which may be deeply rooted and would obviously take time to unlearn them.

We can make them understand that they lived their life with regards to thier times.Times have changed since then and it isnt necessary to comply to the current generation life style but they can atleast try.

Also,we need to realise that generation difference exist and appreciate their concern for our lifestyle.

Its a common meme these days where today generation promises to not let their kids grow up with Iphones and make-up. It's a cycle in a sense. The best way thus is to appreciate both generations and try to break down the generation gap by talking out the differences.

• Sayantani Dey
    Sayantani Dey   Jul 03, 2017 01:15 PM

Hi, hope you are doing well. And now when we are in India, it is not surprising that our parents and grandparents will claim that they have far better knowledge than us, inspite of the fact that we might be much more educated and socially updated than them. We can't win in arguement with them because they will not let us win with their unrealistic believes and facts. So, it will not be easy to convense them and support our realistic thoughts and teach something new, but it is not impossible also.

There have some kind of parents and grandparents, who are open to new things and have great interest to learn and be updated with the new generation. So, it is quite easy to teach them, and to achieve their support.

But there are also some parents and grand paarents, who are not updated and not ready to be. They love to be backdated, with their believes. But, we can try to change their mind in different way. Like, when they are not ready to accept some realistic facts, because it can harm their ego, then we need to present those facts indirectly, in a way, they can't deny that anyway.

As an example, if they argue with the fact that, girls shouldn't wear small clothes because it could be dangerous for them and they can be raped, just simply don't argue with them, and somehow present evidences that proves girls who are fully dressed also can be rape victims.

I hope my answer is helpful. Stay happy and healthy! 

Book an appointment