cheating

03 Jul
Radhika Goel

'I have never cheated in my life. I don't do that' I used to claim this throughtout my school life. I did not ask anything. However, when my partner or other friends wanted to know answers I would tell them on most occassions. At times my answer would be wrong and I would know because I was telling them and they would gesture. Naturally, I would correct mine too. This would also be cheating wouldn't it? I donn't understand how people who cheat full papers say to themselves. The marks I would get give me validation and cheated marks always filled me with guilt, even to this day.

Responses 4

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Jul 18, 2017 12:35 AM

Hey, I guess people don’t feel guilty after cheating because the benefits of cheating are too high whereas the cost of cheating is quite low. Nowadays, cheating is a socially desirable behavior and those who don’t cheat are not easily accepted. Those who don’t cheat are considered ‘nerds,’ and nerds are mostly undesirable. Rarely do people want to be friends with nerds during school years because being friends with a nerd will make them unpopular. Being unpopular at school can make life insufferable for teenagers.

Therefore, sometimes to fit in, most people indulge in cheating during exams. They believe that this will help them become more popular among their peers. Cheating is not looked down upon so it rarely leads to guilt. It really depends on the environment of a person. If an individual’s goals are to fit in and to belong to a social group, then cheating will not make them feel guilty. However, if the individual’s goals are to build their knowledge and develop their intelligence, then cheating on an exam can make them feel guilty since they weren’t able to achieve their goal. It depends on what the end goal of an individual is and the environment that they are surrounded by which determines whether cheating will lead to guilt or not.    

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Jul 03, 2017 08:58 PM

Hi!!

Hope you are doing well.We should be good and do good.If everyone goes in the bad way we should feel proud that we are going in the right path to reach our destination.If everyone gets marks/grades and get credits.Don't feel sad and frustrated feel like they are the real losers in life.It may help them in getting credits and marks,but the fact is, you will get the real knowledge than them and which helps you to improve your skills and can get more job offers in future.

You have been also mentioned in your post that,you also help your partners and friends on exams.You can help them but for the small tests yet its also a cheating but if you think practically,we should come across all the situations and hurdles.But If you begin to cheat in all the exams then the difference betwenn you and cheating whole papers is yet  to be same.If you guilt of your makrs then try to avoid those bitterness situations.You may work hard and get good grades for your hard work.

Hope,it helps you

All the best for your bright future!! :)

• Reshma Venugopal
    Reshma Venugopal   Jul 03, 2017 07:25 PM

Hello there, 

I am a little confused as to what your question is really asking. But I will try to answer best to what I have understood from your question. Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume you are asking why people cheat and don't get guilty about it. 

Well, to begin with, cheating is socially considered to be an unethical and immoral thing to do. We have been taught from a young age that cheating is not right. But I feel like people who do indulge in cheating are simply doing it out of stress. In an exam condition, cheating seems to be the only way for them to calm their nerves. While it is wrong, I think it is important to understand why it is being done in the first place. Many people cheat because there are just too many expectations on them and they are stressed out. In exams, we are all expected to score above 90% for everything even if they don't quite find the knack for the subject. Some people are just better at some things than others. And due to this, and the concept of "getting the job done", people tend to cheat. No, it is not justified to cheat ever, because some people will be working really hard and while they poured so much effort, it is simply unfair for others to just get the answer. 

But let's understand that everything has an equal reaction. And if you believe in karma then yes, eventually the same thing will come to bite them. Cheating can be influenced due to many other factors as well, and what you did by giving your partner and your friends the answers is also considered cheating. The only difference is that they did it because of stress from their homes and pressure from their parents and society while you got the same pressure from your friends. You felt the need to give the answers because you felt the social pressure. The fear of losing your social life made you give in to the act. 

So while it is alright to feel guilty about it, it is also important to understand the circumstance and perspective of the people who cheat completely. While you feel guilty about a little cheating, the same conscience is not with everyone else. Everyone acts differently based on their specific pressures in life. 

hope this helps :)

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 03, 2017 07:17 PM

Hey,

I really appreciate the way you think about this topic. When someone is continually surrounded by people who resort to unfair means to accomplish their tasks, not many have the courage to dissent and not go with the flow. You have never cheated all through your life because within you felt that it's wrong. Appreciate yourself for this.

Since we know that cheating isn't right and that you would never want to do this ever in your life, you must avoid taking any help from others, no matter in how small a way, during the exam. It will never give you peace of mind and inner satisfaction that you need.

There are others who commit such acts but show no guilt at the same time. It is nothing but self harm. But you continue following the path of hard work and self - dependence and always remember - what comes easy , goes easy.

GOOD LUCK!

Book an appointment