What should be right career choice?

03 Jul
Sameeksha Pavaskar

My friend just cleared her HSC exams.She didn't study well and hence she scored less.Now she wants to pursue BMM but she can't get it due to the low percentage.She is getting into a good college for BA  but she is very desperate to do BBM.She is ready to do it from a not so reputed college.She can get convinced by anyone to get into some unethical activity just to please others.How to I convince her that going to a good college is important?What should she choose  BBM in any college or BA in some good college?What should be the right advice?

Responses 3

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 04, 2017 09:21 PM

Hey,

May be what I think about this problem, is somewhat completely opposite to what you think. rather than convincing my friend to opt for any subject in a 'reputed' college, I would have encouraged her to opt for a course in which she may be genuinely interested, from a college which may not be so reputed or a 'mediocre' college, to say simply.

There's no guarantee that even after Opting for BA in a good college , she would be able to do well in life, because that is something that she never wanted in life. On the other hand, if she opts BBM from any college may be she is able to do better in life , because that is what she wants to do.

See, if the reason for you encouraging her to go to  good college is  because the kind of environment one finds here, may be this requires a bit of rethinking. We are all college going students. No matter what kind of a college one studies in, students of all kinds studya long with us.So considering her nature, she will be as prone to get influenced, be in a reputed or a mediocre college. So more than asking her to change her subject altogether, something that needs to be trained is her , basic nature.

may be if you are able to understand what am trying to say, you will be able to explain it to your friend as well.

And really appreciate your concern for your friend.

GOOD LUCK!!

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Jul 04, 2017 12:09 PM

Hey, this is a dillemma many face after school.

You need to ask your friend some questions and listen to her without any preconceptions in your mind.

1) Is she passionate and interested in studying BBM?

2) Does she see a future for herself after studying BBM?

If her answer to these two questions convinces of her interest and keeness and good intentions in studying BBM, I recommend you advice her to go to a less reputed college. It is important for us to be happy in life and one cannot do that without seeking happiness in our everyday life which includes what we are studying.

Similarly, the kind of people we spend out time with affect our happiness. If we are constantly trying to please others we will develop a lot of insecurities which can affect our mental health. Thus, it is important for us to love and appreciate ourselves for who we are. 

I suggest you reccomend the less repured college but also make her realise her importance and help her build her self esteemed and make her strong willed so she does not get influenced easily.

Hope this helps :)

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Jul 03, 2017 09:25 PM

Hi Sameeksha,

As you probably know, this is actually something that's really commonly faced in our education system. 

The first thing to do, in my opinion, is have a candid conversation with your friend about why she wants to do BBM. Just hear her out, with no inputs, judgements or opinions. You'll be able to recognise if it's genuine passion and interest with which she wants to study the course. If it is, I actually advise you to encourage her to go ahead with it. I know you're worried about the quality of the institution, but if she's doing something with passion and hard work (which she'll only do if she's doing something she likes) her skills and experience will soon outdo the institution name on the certificate, by far. 

Meanwhile, look into the BA option and see if it's something she may actually enjoy. I have friends who've changed their course preference last minute due to their marks, and are now loving their courses. Look at her abilities, interests, likes and dislikes and talk about career options that would suit that. If she finds that she may enjoy BA after all and that BBM is not her ultimate passion, encourage her to opt for that. On the other hand, if she still wants to opt for BBM, don't dismiss the option. She will be in the profession for the major part of her life after this, so rather than encouraging her to make a choice based on the place of study for the next three years, just help her build a life she's going to end up enjoying daily for the next forty years. 

Good luck to both of you. And don't worry, life has a funny way of making things work out on their own. (:

Book an appointment