How to deal with an annoying friend?

04 Jul
Name Confidential

So I've had this "friend" for like two years, and while she thinks we're both the greatest of friends and all, I hate to admit that we aren't. Our teacher made us sit together and now i'm a part of this whole 'friendship'. Honestly, I find her very annoying. But she REFUSES to take a hint. what can I do?

Responses 5

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Jul 08, 2017 03:35 PM

Hi!!

Hope you are doing well.I can clearly understand your bitterness.If you feel annoyed of your friend,you can talk with her about her behaviours.Friend is like someone whom we can have strong bond with our mutual affection.If she does good things its pleasure to wish her and if she does wrong things its duty to say her to shape her perfect for the society.I can suggest you something to resolve this,

1.First try to communicate with your friend about her annoying.Better communication can create a better understanding.

2.Try to have some outings with your friends to feel refreshed of new surrounding and environment.

3.And also make sure of your problems,Talk eachother about your good ad bad behaviours to have mutualunderstanding with your friend.

Hope it helps you

Take care  :)

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Jul 08, 2017 04:10 AM

You don’t have to be superficial with her if you don’t really like her. Did you ever talk to her about the things that you find annoying? If you didn’t, then you encouraged the annoying behavior for a very long time which made her think that it’s okay. Giving “hints” hardly ever helps anyone. It’s like believing in telepathy. Effective communication is the key. You need to talk to your friend about the things that annoy you about her. If she wants to change these things for you, then maybe you can give friendship with her another shot. However, if she doesn’t want to change these things for you then you guys should move on towards your different paths.

Forced relationships will never work out and being fake with someone will only make it worse for you to handle. Being fake can be very straining and it takes a lot of effort to smile and laugh for no reason. You are making it hard for yourself. Just try talking to her about this and that should make things better. I know it’s difficult for you because you don’t want to hurt her feelings, but talking to her about it will be better in the long run. Honesty can hurt now but it’s better in the long run, whereas superficiality is a temporary solution.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 04, 2017 08:56 PM

Hey,

Well I can actually relate very well with your case. All through my school life, I have been surrounded by people who actually thought that we were best of friends, though I never wanted to be with them. I initially found it very hard to outrightly tell this to them on their faces, specially in the smaller grades. I now laugh at the way I usually employed in tackling them. I also passed 'hints' to them at first-something like running away to my home without waiting for her as soon as the day was over, or indirectly refusing to help her out with the homework, or something that could make her understand that I really don't want her to be with me. But as it turns out people really don't seem to understand or want one to be more clearer in such matters.

So rather than wasting my time and those of others, what I simply started doing, in higher grades, was to tell this off to the people directly. I never completely severed my contact with them but politely told them what I felt. And trust me , it really worked. you may feel that it may come off as rude, but the fact is there is no better way out. It is better to get rid of people whom you don't like, even at the cost of hurting them a bit, than unwillingly being with such people and hurting yourself all through.

Hope you are able to decide what's best for you!

GOOD LUCK!

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Jul 04, 2017 04:55 PM

Hello! 

Well, I have heard of one-sided love but not one-sided friendship. Yours is a unique case where your friends gives you more importance than you give to her. You cannot compare friendship, you can't compare who is better at it. Just accept the friendhship with warmth and reciprocate as much as you can. A little extra friendship never hurt anyone. 

However, if your friends tends to get a little 'annoying', I suggest that you talk directly to her about it instead of dropping hints. It might hurt her feelings at first but maybe she will try to see things from your perspective. Tell her about the things that annoy you, she might realise your perspective and reduce it. Tell her that she deserves a friend who treats her equally and with same respect because friendship can't be forced. Help her acknowledge your viewpoint and your lack of choice when the teacher had the authority to make you sit with her. 

Be polite and courteous. This is a sensitive topic and a case of misunderstanding. Don't belittle her or her friendship, infact incase she succeeds being a little less annoying, a new friendship might evolve. 

• Ravsharan Kaur
    Ravsharan Kaur   Jul 04, 2017 02:02 AM

Hi,

7 billion people in the world and no two minds are alike. This "friend" of yours has always been happy and felt warm in this friendship you two have shared, but on the other hand if she annoys you, be strong enough to reveal it to her. It is your duty as a responsible human being to make her understand that the depth of this friendship is something she's just been imagining all this while. You shouldn't just drop hints.

I'd suggest you to go and tell it to her face and keep the grounds open and unblinded to make her understand the reality she's been ignoring (consciously or unconsciously). Friendship is about a state of mutual trust and affection. You can't just fake it. The sooner you man up and face her, the more satisfactory will be the drifting apart (from her side, atleast).

Better late than never, buddy!

All the best.

Book an appointment