Happiness is people liking me, popularity is people liking me, Social networking is people liking me!

05 Jul
Nihalika Verma

Happiness is people liking me, popularity is people liking me and even social networking is people liking me? We need to depend on people to like us and make us feel warm and wanted. People who do not run in this race, are termed as anti-social and are mocked upon. Even if we get along, then less likes/votes are also laughed at. This is all the more stressful and it leads into a viscious circle.

How to maintain our individuality? What to do, when to do and why to do? Should we make our own rules of follow social norms?

Responses 4

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Jul 08, 2017 06:15 PM

You should only follow the norms in which you believe in and which mean something to you. You cannot merely go about following rules which don’t mean anything to you and don’t make any logical sense from your point of view. I know that it is important to be socially accepted by others so that our need for belongingness is satisfied; however I believe you just need a few good close people who you connect with and who care about you to satisfy your need for belongingness. The people who are close to you can make you happy and you should seek their approval instead of seeking the approval of the society.

Apart from this, things like social media and likes on posts should not be the reason for a change of behavior. These superficial things should not drive your needs. People who mock you for having less number of likes are doing so because of their own insecurity and because they judge their own self based on the number of likes they receive for their posts, which is sad. Number of likes and shares do not mean anything because people often aimlessly like and share things based on absolutely no reasoning. Therefore, you should focus on building your own individuality by doing things that you feel comfortable doing.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Jul 08, 2017 05:42 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well.Being of loving by others is like changing yourself for everyone's needs.If you try to impress others and liked by everyone then you should be changed for all and live for all.Be yourself and the true people will come along with you for your good and kind heart.And to maintain your individuality you should be yourself and be with the people who respect your character.Be true to yourself.If we try to change opurself for the people then only we lose our individuality and we will never become perfect in anything.So,be yourself let whatever happens move on.

Be unique

Hope it helps you

Take care  :)

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Jul 05, 2017 04:30 PM

Hey, I think every teenager in today's world would like a step process and definite answer to your question but the reality is there is no onr answer. While growing up we have to make certain choices that determine how much importance we give to social approval of this kind.

I know what I am about to say is easier said than done but I strongly believe this should be our ideal motive. We must make decisions that make us happy. Not because it's what our friends approve or disapprove off but because we want to do it. This could be as simple as wearing track pants to college instead of a skirt or deciding to pursue dancing as a career over engineering. So, yes, I do think we should make our own rules and let our friends accept us as we are because conceding to societal expectations can only make us happy for so long. Eventually we have to live with the choices that we make.

Hope this helps your dillema :)

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Jul 05, 2017 01:43 PM

Hi, Nihalika! 

I would suggest that you maintain your individuality while being in your comfort zone. 

A person cannot keep escaping social situations if they are stressful and difficult to follow. One needs to learn how to adjust and compromise. This will help in formation of better inter personal skills and healthy relationship. 

I totally understand that society has really messed us up with its demands for us to be popular, famous and a social butterfly. We try and try and try to fit into all the expectations that the society seeks but sometimes it's just too much. 

A change can be made by making people understand that everyone has their own preferences and choices. Few people enjoy parties and are outgoing while few people are reserved and private. People need to respect both lifestyles instead of mocking either of them. 

A change can also emerge from within. Give yourself importance and value yourself to be able to stand out of the things that make you uncomfortable or things you don't enjoy. Respect your freedom and live it, you don't need to follow the society all the time. People who love you will accept you for who you are instead of judging you on the number of likes/comments. 

Book an appointment