Career choices

05 Jul
Radhika Goel

My friend has read atleast 100 law related fiction books, follows mysteries and is ectremely passionate about criminal studies. Yet, she is doing her graduation in B.com and studying to become a CA. My friends and I have tried multiple times to convince her that her passion liesin criminal prosecution, or studies like of criminals by maybe studying psychology but even though she believes it somewhere deep down she refuses to have a conversation with ehr parents about it.  Just because everyone else in her family is a CA, she won't changer her mind or her parents. Is there anything I can do about it now?

Responses 4

• Anjali Khurana
    Anjali Khurana   Jul 23, 2017 06:11 PM

your concern for your friend's future is extremely valid. it definitely sounds like she's extremely interested in crime and related fields. however, her reluctance to embrace her passion because of her parents and her family is alarming because she could potentially end up in a career that will never make her happy and give her the satisfaction she might be looking for.

you should encourage her to just try and keep criminal studies as an option for after her bachelors. try and make her identify where her interest lies more, and what she would be happier doing - accountancy or criminology.  you can also suggest she do internships relates to CA as this will enable her to understand the working conditions and make her realize and evaluate whether she really wants to be doing this or whether she would like to take up her passion and go further with it. then, you can try to convince her to speak to her parents about her interest. she should first be convinced herself and accept her zeal and enthusiasm towards the field with open arms, only then will she be able to speak to her parents and make them understand. she should also research career options and go to her parents with a determination towards wanting to carve a future for herself in the field of her interest.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Jul 08, 2017 05:51 PM

Hi!!

Hope you are doing well.I can understand about your plight situation.Better you can talk with your friends parents about her passion and interest on criminal prosecution.Else,you can help your friend to understand about her interest.she is living in a life which is dependent on her parent's.We should not live for other.Life is only once.So we should live for our desire and make all our wishes comes true.Life is to live.

So,live the life with determination for our success and be in satisfaction.work in silence let our success makes noise.The only solution is you should talk with your friend and her family for her passion and interest.If she has both family and friends support she feel comfortable and works for it.

be unique

Hope it helps you!!

Take care  :)

• Priya Ratti
    Priya Ratti   Jul 06, 2017 05:42 PM

Hey,

Well, you're not wrong. From what you say it appears that your friend is dearly passionate about criminology. While some people are too bent upon making their passions into their careers, your friend seems to be the exception.

One reason for this could be, I believe, is that she deosn't want to mix her passion with her career. It may sound odd to some people, but it is possible that she wants her love for all things crime to exist in isloation from all the pressures and forebearings that come with the pursuit of a subject for a degree. 

The second thing is, that if everyone in her family is a CA then not only from her parents, but she must be under a great pressure from herself to do what had turned into a family tradition. She must feel the need to fit in, if anything. 

You, as a friend can only do your part, and that is talk to her. It is possible for her to pursue her passion after graduation, still. Or more, you could encourage her to talk to her parents about it. Tell her that they would want whats best for her, and if pursuing her passion means something to her, then they would surely have her back.

More than anything, I hope you talk to her and let her know that as a friend you would be there for her no matter what she chooses!

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Jul 06, 2017 04:53 PM

Hello, Radhika! 

I appreciate your concern for your friend and your goodness to take care of her well being. 

Most people have difficulty confronting others. They will do anything and everything to escape that situation. Looks like your friend is doing the same, her denial indicates her fear. 

You can help your friend by asking her 'where do you see yourself in the next 10 years?' If she is pursuing CA, she would want to see herself as a CA. Now ask her 'is she happy?' For a normal person, following a career path with no passion is an extremely unhappy task. This one question would hit her and make her ponder over her decision of not speaking about her true passion to her her parents. Give her space and time to think about it. Appreciate her knowledge about criminals and its fields, she must feel motivated and encouraged enough to take the risk of going against her parents. 

Once she has made her mind, she must go to her parents and tell them about her dream. She could use talk or write a letter about the same if she fears facing them. She can tell them how she would consider pursuing CA if she fails at what she wants to do. She deserves a fair chance to live her life on her own choices afterall. I am sure her parents would agree sooner or later because they will realise what makes their child truly happy.