Have you ever lied?

05 Jul
Radhika Goel

I have tried to remain a truthful person all my life. I do not lie to my mom and my family or my teachers. However, as I have come to college I have had to lie about small small things like why I did not do a particular reading or what time i slept or what i was doing (even if not anything embarassing) or to my mom about how far I am or to my friends when I am running late. These lies are meaningless but I have still acquired a habit of lying. I want to know if you guys think these lies may harm me and is there a person here who has never told a single lie?

Responses 5

• Rimi Sharma
    Rimi Sharma   Jul 24, 2017 09:12 PM

Of course everyone lies! Well, almost.

But why does it matter if others do it? Does it justify that lying is a good thing? Nope.

Coming back to answering your question, I must say that the things you are calling meaningless are not meaningless if you look at it through another perspective. You lie to your parents about your whereabouts because you know they will get worried about you. Your parents are protective about you, and concerned about your well-being, which is why you decided to lie them about your safety.

However, if lying is really a habit for you, I don't think it is healthy. It means that you lie about everything and anything. Notice this in yourself whether you are lying about insignificant matters or not. If you think that lying to your parents has spread to you compulsively lying to everyone about everything, then you should seek help.

I lie too, to my parents about my whereabouts, or hide things from them- things which are bothering me. But lying about things which I could have been truthful about is not a good sign.

All in all, as long as no one gets hurt by your lies, and neither you nor anyone else is suffering because of your lies, I think it is safe to say lying is not a bad thing.

Hope this was helpful! Have a good day! :)

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Jul 08, 2017 05:38 PM

Of course I have lied. I have lied multiple times and I have lied to my parents as well about many things. It is kind of burdening because I feel very guilty after lying to my parents. I always try to find ways to compensate it. I try compensating by either spending more time with them, cooking for them, or just by doing some extra household chores. I look for opportunities to make them happy in any way that I can.

Truth is that lying affects us more than the person we lie to because it fills us up with guilt. We end up having to live with that burden for a long time until the truth is revealed after which again it’s us who have to bear the consequences of hurting our loved ones. They could either choose to forgive us or punish us in a way that they feel is justified. So overall, liars have to bear the consequences of lying. We get what we deserve in the end. So, if your lies are becoming a very heavy burden, you might want to take a break or drop some of the load.

• Manaswini Venkateswaran
    Manaswini Venkateswaran   Jul 07, 2017 04:09 PM

No, there isn't a single person on this planet who hasn't told a lie. I myself lie a lot, about things that may seem trivial or silly to others. I mainly lie to protect the feelings of others and to prevent them from getting suspicious or worrying. I'm not personally embarrassed about the truth but I feel like others would not be able to handle the truth. 

Other times, I lie to avoid having to answer questions. It's more to do with laziness and a general disinclination to answering a thousand questions. Since I have a conservative mother, the questions are endless, so I just tell her what she wants to hear. 

As long as your lies don't harm anyone, I don't think it's a problem. However, if you really think these lies are unnecessary and don't do anything for anyone else, you should make a conscious effort to stop. If people would react the same way to the truth as they do to your lie then I don't think fibbing achieves anything. 

Lying to your mom or friends about how far you are or when you're reaching is something most people do. It's just to reassure people temporarily. Don't make a habit out of it though. 

• Priya Ratti
    Priya Ratti   Jul 06, 2017 05:25 PM

Hey,

Well, I don't think there is any person in this world who has never told a lie. We all have instincts that drive us to do what's the best for ourselves, and I believe lying is a part of that mechanism. While some lies are just harmless, and do not matter in the long run, others are mostly the ones that make us pay a heavy amount later on. 

I believe in your case, the lies that you tell now are harmless. But if you get into the habit of lying to get away with things, you could actually end up in a lot of trouble. Usually when a person lies, they have to tell more than one lies to get away with it. That is something which could prove to be very detrimental to one's mental state. For one you'll be comsumed be the guilt of having lied, because our conscience always pricks us for our wrongdoings; and secondly, you will have to bear the brunt of whatever you lied for, eventually. So why go through all that trouble? Speaking the truth is always the better alternative, no matter how much you may fear the consequence, it is always better than lying.

So, yes, in the long run if you inculcate this habit of lying to get away with things, it could get a lot worse. I suggest you be honest with people; and I'm saying so because this will be better for you, yourself and your psychlogical state.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Jul 06, 2017 01:49 PM

Hello!
    Your innocent question has raised many of my moral concerns but I reckon that it's is okay to lie at times. A little lie which does not harm anyone is not a big deal as long as you don't make it a habit.
    Besides even if you feel uncomfortable lying about small things, you can always confront the person you were lying to in the future. I am sure they will understand and appreciate your honesty.
    It is better that you try to be honest as much as possible because this is one of the many quality which marks your goodness. Not many people can live an honest life.
    Lying can also create tension and stress in a person's life which leads to a shady and mysterious personality.
    Sometimes we fail to realise how the lies we consider 'little' are not little for others. It might be a small lie for you if you tell your mother that you not very far away from home but for your mother this is a very big lie because she wants to ensure your safety.
    Like I said, it's okay to lie as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.