Effects of living away from home

Responses 7

• Rimi Sharma
    Rimi Sharma   Jul 24, 2017 08:37 PM

When I was living in hostel, I had to stay away from home for about a year. I used to miss my parents a lot and not being able to see them often made me cranky. I realized it soon enough that I was homesick. I started going home more often and I was happier. But it may not be the solution for everyone.

I was lucky to have been able to live with my parents again after that. But, if anything that experience has made the bonds with my friends much stronger. Many people, whom I referred to as friends back then, left because of the distance. But those who stayed, are still my closest friends.

When it comes to family, long-term effects can be that the person withdraws himself or herself from getting attached to their family. Often, children whose parents work away from home, distance themselves from that parent because of the less time they get to spend together. Or the bond never gets made between them.

The thing is, as with any relation, if you are not able to give it enough time and nurturing, it soon dies. When you move away, you have another life there. You start making new friends. So, naturally, with work and your new life taking so much of your time, you will have less time for friends and family who are away from you. Thus, the distance keeps growing. In the meantime, being with a new crowd, you acquire some changes too, in order to adapt to the new environment. So, that affects your relations as well. Sometimes positively, sometimes negatively.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Jul 07, 2017 02:00 PM

Hello! 

I read an interesting study regarding this topic. According to which the impact of students living away from hometown was based on gender. Females did better when they lived away from home while males hardly an impact. The reasons for females doing better away from home is that they might have less responsibilities when they are just answerable to their own self. When a female stays at home, certain feminine household chores are expected of her which are not expected from males. As a result, females staying in their home might give them less time to focus on their studies. 

This was just a study for students but for adults, the case might be different. Considering how both males and females have been accustomed to living their life on their terms by earning for themselves. They might hardly have the time to think about their hometown. Besides as technology has gained momentum, it is easier for people to stay in touch even when they are miles apart. Voice calls, video calls, text messages have been proved to be a boon in the communication realm. 

One drawback of living away would be decreased development of interpersonal skills amongst close family members which can have a negative impact on relationship. But then again, this could be taken care of if the individual can make time for family in holidays and weekends. 

• SAKSHI BAJAJ
    SAKSHI BAJAJ   Jul 06, 2017 06:23 PM

Hi Shruti, 

Your question is quite relevant considering how more and more people are moving away from home for better education and employment opportunities. I feel it is a part of evolution and no matter how painful it is to be away from family, if your future depends on it, one should go for it. In many cases distance makes the heart grow fonder. I have observed  that when people are living together, in a close environmental setting, the number of clashes and quarrels is more than when they are apart. We all need our space and you get plenty of that when you are on your own. Also, there is more love and warmth when there is considerable distance. Yes, it's true that when you're away from your family you miss out on a lot of things, sometimes the homesickness is too much to bear, but i guess it's all a part of one's personality development. In my opinion, all of us should spend time away from home to realise our strenghths and work on our weaknesses. In other cases it might happen that the bond weakens due to lack of communication. It is quite subjective, actually. It all comes down to how strong the relationships were before that person moved away. There can be conflicts when it comes to friends since you can't meet that often and it might lead to misunderstandings. It depends on how well both the people handle that distance and overcome it. The most important thing here is, if the bond is strong enough, the distance doesn't really matter. :)

• Nihalika Verma
    Nihalika Verma   Jul 06, 2017 03:10 PM

Hi Shruti,

Yes living away does affect the relationships, and that too drastically. And we need to keep the fire burning and alive. Any relation requires time as investment. The more you invest, the more you get in return. The investment in any relations may be physical (face to face), telephonic or video based. When we are around and near then we can spend time physically with our relatives. 

But, when we go away, we need to find out time, to keep in touch with our relations. This is very important. Though, this will not be same as being around, but it will at least help us to feel available. Take out time and be in touch. :)

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jul 06, 2017 11:34 AM

Hey there!

Hope you are doing well.

I can totally relate to the query and answer at personal level.I have been living away from home since the past three years.The relationship we share with friends and family is unique and cannot be really generalized.However,distances do not always draw two people apart but exceptions are always there.Initially,it feels that your world has fallen apart,specially for those who have minor adjustment problems or fear social interactions. It becomes extremely stressful to adjust to a new lifestyle however, if you are lucky enough to meet nice people,this becomes the most remarkable experience of our lives. Coming back to relations back in hometown,things do change, I will not lie here. You tend to loosen bonds with people who do not care much and strengthen with people that care about you. Your family tends to pamper you more,so do your relatives.Perhaps they are worried about you living all alone in a distant place. Family relations usually strengthen.When you have nosy relations with someone that gets better because you are physically absent making the relations better thereby. When it comes to friends,they do usually move out as well.So things become equal for them.It becomes more a give and take relation.If you care,they give care for you back otherwise the friendship weakens. To sum up, it is all about how you perceive and adjust to your new place and how much value you give to people back at home that affects the bond. Everybody says they will keep in touch but very few do.These few only get lucky enough to maintain the bond.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 05, 2017 09:13 PM

Hey,

Well what I have experienced by staying away from my family for one year is that if anything, our relations with them get stronger. 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder'- this atleast seemed to work in my case. May be because of distance I have come to realise the importance of my family much more than before. However, I must say that this happens only with your immediate family members.

As far as your other family members and friends in the town are concerned, may the distance increases. Once you are at some other place, you discover a new self, a new set of friends and a new set of habits. May be we are not able to take out much time for our old friends. we are not able to go out with them or attend their birthdays etc.Since these were the things on which our relationship was based before, once these things become less frequent, our relationship with them tends to get affected.

However, with proper use of social media and by making frequent contacts with our friends, our relation can be sustained at good levels.

In fact , frankly speaking, may be distance and relationships actually have a zero correlation with one another.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Jul 05, 2017 08:00 PM

Hi!!

Hope you are doing well.the First thing that gets affected being apart from hometown is the communication with our family members.Though there is an emerging thecnology are available like social media,networks we feel lonely sometimes.We can't share everything through social media.Sometimes,we need a companion,friend,advisor to hear out all our problems and give the solution.The next thing is the bond between you and your family members.Due to the valid reason you may stay away from your family members like for your studies or job.

So, that you can't meet your family members whenever you like,which brings the gap between you and your family members.Like,if you have some relatives marriage in week ends you can manage it but in weekdays,then it will make you to the plight situation.You should manage the travel time and leave proposals in collages or work places.So,sometimes you may fail to attend so,it will break the good relationship.If your relatives try to understands you then it will not be a big issue to be think.But we can't assure they can always understands you.

Hope,it helps you  :)