How to Overcome Laziness

06 Jul
Minaish Dhabhar

Hi everyone,
Of late I've found that I'm getting a little lazy. 
I'm currently on holiday and I know that it's okay to want to relax during vacations but even the little work that I have, like going to a nearby store, I feel like avoiding. 
I know a lot of people face this and it's completely normal, but what are some tips and tricks that psychologists and counsellors use and reccomend to their clients to make them a little more active?
I think this would be useful for a lot of people to know. 
Thank you.

Responses 5

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Sep 17, 2017 09:32 PM

Hey there! I hope you're doing well and I appreciate that you have reached this question which is actually very prevalent in today's times and I believe every second person on at least every third person suffers from this so called laziness which is a problem in every second thing we do because there are so many things we are talented in and we are able to do but we just don't want to do it because you feel lazy.  yes it is absolutely normal to changes during holidays figured that is the only time when we can legitimately chill. 

So you are a few things that should help you in getting over the laziness. The most important thing is that you should actually chill for a while and then focus on the things that you have in hand then maybe you can make a list of all the things you have to do and set a Priority but before that it is very important for you to chill so that your laziness goes away. Maybe you can start being with people who are less lazy then you so that you get the vibe along and that should be able to help.

• Rimi Sharma
    Rimi Sharma   Jul 24, 2017 10:13 PM

Thanks for the post!

Holidays a that time when we don't have to worry about pending work for the next day. So, we all become laid back and lazy. You are lazy because you feel there is nothing worthwhile to do. Humans are lazy by nature. It is the motivation, the aims in life, the dreams, that motivate us to move. Had we all had food on our tables, clothes to keep us warm and a shelter above us to keep us safe, then none of us would even move an inch, trust me.

What you lack now is motivation. If you find something that you love doing, you will find that you don’t feel lazy anymore. If you don’t like walking to the store, then try cycling. You may find that you actually like it, so going to the store will give you a reason to ride your bike.

If you want to be active, then start exercising everyday. Even if you spare 15 minutes for that, you will notice drastic changes in your behavior. Having a purpose in life motivates us to move towards it.

During the vacations, I always have a few books with me, or some art and craft supply. I know that I will be lazy and might even die (not literally, though) or boredom, I try to do things which I love doing. I always look forward to telling my friends about the books I’ve read, so that motivates me to finish the books on time, too!

However, don't be too hard on yourself in order to be active! We all deserve a day or two of complete laziness! ;)

• Anjali Khurana
    Anjali Khurana   Jul 23, 2017 08:43 PM

laziness is a phenomenon everyone struggles with, especially in this day and age, where our dependency on technology is continuously increasing and is proving to be quite detrimental for us. we can experience feelings of laziness for the smallest of tasks to the largest - whether it is to go to a nearby store, sit down to study, or even the simple task of replying to a message. it is high time we take corrective measures to bring about a change in our attitudes, or else we might end up living like the humans in wall-e. 

a goal oriented approach is highly useful in order to escape bouts of laziness. plan out your schedules, especially when you are on vacation, as otherwise you might miss out on wonderful tourist spots and fun activities. even in your day to day life, take out time for activities where you do something constructive and make use of your time like dancing, interacting with someone face to face, helping out with the tasks at home etc. exercising is also a must, as it will help you be more active and help you avoid lethargy and sluggishness. you can also enlist the help of family and friends, who can motivate and help you beat laziness. 

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Jul 10, 2017 05:50 PM

Hey, hope you are doing well :)

I agree it is very normal for us to get lazy during vacations. However, it can become problematic when it becomes a habit especially if your vacation is long. There is no one way to avoid overcoming lazyness. You have to start with little things like getting up to attend to the door, going out to the parks with friends anf family. I have found not having a routine and sleeping whenever you like to be a major reason for a lethargic body. Even though you want to sleep as much on your vacation, you should try to wake up early and do exercise or walk. One can even enjoy some fun classes in the summer like swimming or Zumba so you can enjoy your vacation and get exercise done at the same time to stay active. Hope you continue to have a great summer!

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 06, 2017 09:29 PM

Hey,

So okay , as you have rightly pointed out a lot of us (including me) get way too lazy during the vacations.However , I soon realised that isn't really benefitting me at all. So i tried out ( and am still trying ) a few things which have actually helped me a lot i the past few days.

1. Firstly. Don't keep your cellphone around you all the time. Once you have your cellphone in your hands,your next  response is almost reflexive- look for a sofa or a bed to lie down. And once you are there, trust me, you cannot get anywhere else. If you need to charge your cellphone, do it at a charging point away from your bed. Trust me, this really helps.

2. Don't eat sugary foods.They make you feel drowsy.Eat a lot of roughage and salad. they do energise you. Drink lots of water. And please note here.Donot keep the water bottle by your bedside. It's good if you get up each time and walk up to the refrigerator, to shrug off your laziness.

3.Take a proper sleep and if possible try to get up early. It properly sets off the body clock. Taking naps in the afternoon is a good idea.

4.Exercise and go for evening walks.

These are the things I tried to follow while sitting back at home for the past one month, completely unemployed. And to an extent it worked for me.

Book an appointment