PCOD/ PCOS (Polycystic ovarian disease/syndrome). What is it and how to cope with it?

06 Jul
SAKSHI BAJAJ

Girls as young as 11 years can be affected with PCOD/PCOS. It has become so common that 1 out of 10 women suffer from PCOD. It is one of the most common lifestyle diseases that there is today. A lot of us are still unaware of it's symptoms and how it changes one's body and life? It also causes a lot of mental and physical trauma and the lack of care and support can be devastating. How can we help someone who has this condition? More importantly, how to deal with the psychological side of this disease?

Responses 2

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Jul 10, 2017 05:28 PM

Hey, hope you are doing well.

Some statistics given to me by doctors suggest that one in five girls suffer from PCOS/PCOD today. Since the leading cause of this disorder is our lifestyle, the number is quite astonishing and led me to evaluate many things in my life after diagnosis. This number suggests that the way we live is so harmful that majority of the young girls are facing harmone problems. This disease closely related to obesity. This obesity attacthed to our lifestyle is because we have become inherintly lazy. We avoid small things like walking to open thr door or close the lights at night and spend our time indulging in unhealthy eating habits accompanied by complete diregard for our health. This diorder is furthur associated with symptoms like increase in facial hair, excessive hairfall, acne; all things teenagers asscoiate with negative appearances. One of the psychological effects can thus be body shaming and girls developing low self esteem with a negative outlook towards themselves. In severe cases it could lead to eating disorders accompanied with high amounts of stress.

People who have this disorder must be made to realise that they can get it under control with a little hardwork and medicines. They should be encouraged to not think negatively about the disorder and to make active changes in their life to prevent it from getting worse. If one notices excessive stress while dealing with consequences of the disorder one should be encouraged to talk to a psychologist to help them cope.

• Reshma Venugopal
    Reshma Venugopal   Jul 08, 2017 01:22 PM

Hello there. 

A very good question that must be out in the open more. 

PCOD/PCOS is a disease that is very common, as you rightly pointed out. It is also something that is something I have tackled with. When I was diagnosed, I was about to write my 12th board exams. Psychologically, and this is in the initial stages, I felt terrible. Because I thought why is it happening to me, and why did it have to happen now. Obviously, anyone who hears about a disease for the first time gets scared, because you don't know how it happened and you tend to start blaming everything on yourself. My doctor even said that with my body structure, it was not common for me to have this issue because it is usually an effect for obese girls. But whatever, it happened. Thankfully for me, it was diagnosed quickly for me, and my doctor gave me the right medication. 

So I guess I was alright in the physical front until I started taking things negatively. I guess it was because of the immense stress I had from moving into a new place, personal problems and on top of it all, exam stress. So my number one enemy was stress, and that triggered my PCOD in the first place. When i started taking my medicines, I was inconsistent because I kept saying "nobody in my age has to have so many medicines, and it is so unfair to me"

So I think the first thing anyone who has been diagnosed, should simply leave out all the negative thoughts behind and not stress about it. I know it is hard, and I've been there, but once you stop playing the victim, you will learn that it is something you need to accept and move on. The moment I started doing that, I had my medicines on time and I could see a remarkable change. Sometimes the symptoms came back, but I continued with my regular medicines. 

Lastly, I would recommend everyone to live a healthier lifestyle. One of the leading causes of PCOD is stress and an unhealthy lifestyle. So please, the stress on working out and keeping fit will have great effects on your entire body. 

So good luck, and don't worry, it's just a phase that will eventually pass by. 

Book an appointment