How to maintain a balance between cultural preferences?

06 Jul
SAKSHI BAJAJ

We all know that there are stark differences between western culture and indian culture in terms of food, clothing, lifestyle, career choices. Personally, i am inclined towards their way of living as it is much more relaxed and everyone has the freedom to do what they want. Indian values seem archaic and sexist to me. It's true that every culture has it's own faults and loopholes but is wanting to lead my life the way i want, following any culture i want, wrong? Why don't we have this freedom to choose?

Responses 6

• Rimi Sharma
    Rimi Sharma   Jul 24, 2017 11:14 PM

There is nothing wrong in wanting to follow a culture you like. You (clearly) don’t like the Indian culture and that is because you have seen both sides of the coin- the good and the bad. But, before deciding on following a single culture, do you think you know all that there is to know about following the western culture?
    It is very different to our culture, true. But is it better? No one can say. There are good and bad parts of everything, as rightly stated by you. Instead of adopting a culture completely, why not take parts of both and create something where you are happy? It is only an idea, though. You can take a little from all the good things and make yourself a happier person. :)

The problem which lies in following a culture in India is if it isn’t what others are doing, they won’t accept it. It isn’t wrong on your part, you have complete freedom to do what you want to do, and be who you want to be. But, do you really think India can be as open-minded as the westerns? I don’t think so.

It is how all humans are. They do not readily accept change or anything new. What you may face following the western ideals in India may follow you home when you practice Indian ideals abroad.

Considering the fact that we are young, we still have plenty of time to decide what we truly want. So, all the best! :)
    I hope this helped! 

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jul 08, 2017 04:18 PM

Hello there!

I totally second you on your opinion.

Western and Indian cultures have a lot of things to vary on. It is rightly said that we are 100 years behind them,true,in terms of thought,perception or  values. India has a super strong value system and a super amazing skill of interfering. Freedom in terms of clothing or career choice are something we can only dream of. How often we experience our clothing affected by the place we visit,our career by our gender.

Please know that it is not at all wrong to think of trying something new or seeking freedom in terms of clothing or career choice. I think our parents do not find us mature enough to make life decisions . They consider that we do not have the sense to live life on our own principles.They are correct mostly,you know. But it is also about how you are expressing yourself. Let us try to think of the scenario from their point of view as well,try finding out the right in what we think is wrong.You never know when we get a solution. We should also consider our approach towards things,what we are is because of our parents so there is no harm is consulting them and smartly putting forth our plan of action in front of them without being retailating.The society has a big role to play here.Our parents want to back us up a lot of times but they cannot because of social conformity.

Hope this helps. 

• Manaswini Venkateswaran
    Manaswini Venkateswaran   Jul 08, 2017 03:43 PM

No, it's not wrong at all to want to adopt a different lifestyle from everyone else. Personally, I feel the same way. I like having the freedom to do the things I want without having to justify myself to anyone. Culture, according to me, should be freeing rather than restrictive. Free-will is something we should all have as humans, there shouldn't be differences in the levels of something as basic as autonomy based on culture. 

That being said, it is important to preserve some of the things that make you unique. Don't lose touch with your roots. I'm not saying be conservative or anything but maybe you could take the things that you like about your culture and try to be in touch with just those aspects. I'm sure you don't hate everything about it. 

For example, you could try making your favourite local foods or going to restaurants that serve authentic food from your native place once in a while, or you can attend a few functions that pertain to your community (for e.g. dandiya for Gujaratis). Only if you want to, of course. 

Not adhering to norms that restrict you doesn't make you uncultured or bad. You're free to live the way you want. 

• Reshma Venugopal
    Reshma Venugopal   Jul 08, 2017 01:38 PM

Hey there!

I can't begin to tell you how this question has been wandering my mind for so long. I think the fault lies in the media we get our information from. As Indians, we are taught about our values and culture from a very young age. But it is something that we have learned through our secondary socialization that everything we learned is not the best way forward. We live in a very confused era, where we are exposed to so much of the other culture but are also told that the same culture isn't appropriate. So we as millennials are often caught up living in a mix of ideas and hypocrisy. 

Living your life the way you want is not wrong at all. And I agree that the western culture shows us a picture that marks all the points in the list that we wished we had. But I think the only possible thing to do is to accept where we are, and when the time is right, that is to be old enough to make our own decisions we can go ahead and live the way we want to. But as long as we stay with our parents, I think we owe it to them to at least respect what has been taught to us till the time we are free and independent enough to do what we want. 

hope this helps. 

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Jul 08, 2017 04:29 AM

It’s not wrong at all. I believe you have the freedom to be whoever you want to be. If you want to be independent and live a more relaxed lifestyle then you are free to do so. You don’t have to always behave according to the norms set by the society especially if you don’t believe in them.

I know it can be scary to deviate from the societal rules but if your happiness lies in independence and freedom, then so be it. There is no denial that it can be difficult to live in a society where people don’t approve off you but if you have the support of the people who matter to you most, then nothing should stop you from being who you want to be. It is true that every culture has its own good and bad qualities but you don’t have to follow a single culture.

Every culture can teach you different things that you may believe in and adopting a mix of these things in your lifestyle is not wrong! In fact, it makes you more open-minded as a person!

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 06, 2017 09:40 PM

Hey,

As you have pointed out, every culture has its own faults and loopholes and so does every culture has its own merits. If you are inclined towards a particular culture may because you feel that it's more open and provides more freedom, well then you are free to adopt the values you feel attracted to. However, you must understand that culture have sustained beacuse they intermingle with one another and not completely replace one another.So adopting aspects of other cultures is good, however changing one's cultural preferences completeryly isn't. May be that's what establishes our identity as the individual of a particular culture.

You have very well researched the loopholes of the Indian culture. Try looking for it's merits as well . I am sure it isn't that bad!

GOOD LUCK!