Why do we worry?

07 Jul
Ravsharan Kaur

Some people have a tendency to overthink, overanalyze and obsess over the tiniest of things. This often leads to anxiety. So, why exactly do we worry? Is it the fear of facing reality which makes us more inclined to this? We often need reassurance from others that what we’re worrying aboout won't come to fruition. While this may work briefly, the worry always returns. What can be done to end this struggle? Is it possible to end it completely from the root or does it only happen only on a superficial level? 

Responses 5

• Mukul Arora
    Mukul Arora   Jul 27, 2017 02:28 AM

Hi there!

Worrying about some task that we have to complete or some goal that we have to achieve if doine on a moderate levet it is fruitful because that is what encourage us to work harder. Thus it is true moderate anxiety is good for us . But when anxiety takes it toll , or when a person start worrying about something which is not even something to worry about,then yes calling it as anxiety disorder it i harmful. It affect our decission making ,depression & other mental health problems. 

But those who are suffering from anxiety disorder are not familiar with the line between normal anxiety and anxiety disorder. They think being worry or obsessed or overthink about something is justified since they do not wish something to go bad. If that is the case with all little things ,then the only way to end it is by seeking help. Nobody can eradicate anxiety . We are not monks. It is part of our nature and i don't think even we should do anything about it. 

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Jul 25, 2017 10:57 PM

Hello. This 'overthinking' problem is totally relatable in my case. As you were trying to justify that people over think due to fear of facing the future. I will also bring forth the fact that, it is also due to the fear of something we do not want to happen. It happened with me as I wanted to be in the same course and my parents were making furious attempts at doing just the opposite. There was this thing going on in my head- What if my course gets changed, which I did not want to do, due to some inexplicable reason. So in this case the worry only ends when one reaches the finale of the problem at hand and let me tell you, it is a big sigh of relief if things end your way and I reckon that your overthinking is futile as quite many problems have simple solutions.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jul 08, 2017 03:50 PM

Hey there!

Worrying,overthinking,obsessions over things that do not matter are common in everybody's everyday life. However, these should not be overlooked if they interfere with our normal fuctioning. These sort of habits are the root causes of various psychological disorders.We never know what turns up into what.

We worry about outcomes,about how it will affect our life,life of others.We always have a hindsight of 20/20 so nothing can be certain in life.The greater the risk,greater the success but better said than done.

Man is a social animal. Often, we double check our decisions with ourselves or others but still it is important to realize that future does not guarantee success. We tend to seek social approval in a lot of situations but that can make us doubtful or sure but there is no surity.

Few things that should help are- To relax and not rush through decisions. To understand that nothing can be guaranteed.

Yes it does not always stem from the roots. If it is superficial it can be overcome by some simple hacks but if it is deep rooted,it should be dealt with seriousness and should not be ignored at all because it might,or already has led to other problems like that of adjustemnt or trust.

Hope this helps.

• Priya Ratti
    Priya Ratti   Jul 08, 2017 01:12 PM

Hi!

We all worry, and as you said, it leads to anxiety. The reason for the same is not only the fear of facing reality, but also the tendency of our mind to conjure up bad results or alternatives for every situation we are in. At every step of our life we are required to make decisions, and as we make decisions, our brains work all sorts of ways to weigh our decisons as good or bad. This inevitably leads to overthinking.

People overthink, overanalyze; hence they worry. The future is so uncertain, and it is not surprising to think that some people only see negative things happening to them. Even those people who are considered optimistic, worry at least once as an instinct. So it is our instinct to immediately imagine the worst case scenario, and that gives us a lot of anxiety.

However, what differs us here is what we decide to do AFTER our brain has shown us the worst case scenario as a result of our worry. Do we dwell on it, and keep overthinking, or do we throw the negative thoughts in a trash and focus our energies onto more positive things? The choice is ours, and it is what differentiates us. 

Instead of worrying, it is better to be calm. Live in the moment, the 'right now'. Think of the future not as something that is 'coming for you' but something that is the result of what you make it with your thoughts. So be positive and think positive. 

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Jul 08, 2017 10:38 AM

We worry because we want to control things and prevent bad things from happening. Our fear about the future is the major factor that drives us to worry. Our awareness of the amount of uncertainty in the world instills a fear within us of losing everything that we have, and so we constantly worry about it. Some amount of worry can be beneficial because it helps us to avoid danger, however excessive worrying can interfere with our lives.

Worrying leads us to believe that we are in control of the situation in some capacity. Some people even believe that worrying is part of the problem-solving process. This happens because when we worry about something bad happening but everything turns out well, we associate worrying with solving the problem. It’s a fundamental flaw in our belief system.

I doubt the possibility of completely ending worry or anxiety because it is a part of human nature. Everyone has their own tiny problems and situations that make them worry. However, it is possible to cope with it better. According to existential philosophers, we should indulge in our anxiety and accept that it is inevitable. This way we will be able to figure out the root cause of our anxiety and realize what exactly we are afraid off. 

Book an appointment