Why isn't verbal aggression recognized?

08 Jul
Aishwarya K

Hi guys! So, recently I read an aritcle about emotional abuse and it made me wonder why is it okay to hurt someone emotionally but not okay to hurt someone physically? As in, I know it's not okay to hurt someone either way, but physical violence is considered more severe than emotional/psychological abuse. Verbal aggression is often unrecognized. Physical violence is looked down upon but verbal aggression is usually accepted. if someone emotionally abuses another, it's not considered dangerous, but if someone slaps another person, it is considered dangerous. Isn't it EQUALLY bad? What are your views? 

Responses 3

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Jul 16, 2017 01:15 AM

Hey, hope you are doing well :)

Evidence is an important part of every crime. There have been several surveys that show that emotional abuse is on the rise which also conclude that it is highly likely in even teenage relationships. However, what this form of abuse lacks is the victim's ability to prove it. Particularly, in India, we have a strong family network where everyone takes a keen interest in everyone's life. In such a situation, the victim of abuse even has to convince family and friends that they are being abused or that their partner treats them in such a way that causes them emotional pain. People here would trivialise it and call it marriage problems. Hence, there is a need for a law to recognise emotional abuse and define indicators such as fear of partner as guiding principals to enforce it.

UK also has a law in place where partners are going to be punished in the same way if they were violent under certain circumstances including controlling their partner by restricting their personal or financial freedom.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jul 08, 2017 03:38 PM

Hey there! 

Hope you are doing well.

I appreciate your concern towards such an overlooked topic.

We all have experienced or observed Both emotional and physical aggression. However, specially in thrid world countries phsycial aggression is more prevalent. Physical aggression leaves phsycial scares and emotional leaves psychological scars. Physical scars can still be healed in a shorter time period as compared to emotional scars which take a lifetime and still leave so much behind to heal. People think that vocalizing aggression is okay since you have vent your feelings out and the story ends. Sadly,the story begins there. How that one comment can change someone's view for a lifetime is something very few people think about. 

Another strong point is that physical aggression is evident and leaves overt proof but verbal,it hurts deep down,at places which cannot be detected ever,perhhaps. 

Abusing is not okay in any way,ever. One should not stay quiet about it. I believe verbal aggression reveals the truth of the man,his real self and what he really thinks about you.That is his real perception of you. I think verbal is overlooked because it is not evident,in the sense that it cannot be detected.Slapping someone leaves redness but calling someone ugly makes her feel worse about herself making her loose confidence and what not. 

I think verbal aggression is worse than physical and it should never be forgotten. None of them should be replied to,although but we should remember what we were called or how we were treated for future referencing.

• Priya Ratti
    Priya Ratti   Jul 08, 2017 12:41 PM

Hey,

Emotional abuse is such a thing which is easily overlooked. So its great that you brought this topic up. Its high time we talk about it. People consider it normal in aggressive situations. But, a lot of people who are emotionally abusing someone are oblivious of the damage they may be causing the person on the recieving end.

To me, physical and emotional abuse are both equally detrimental to the person. Rather, emotional abuse hurts more because while scars may heal over time, we never really forget the words that hurt us. If the pen is mightier than the sword, then words too, must be more powerful than violence. 

Yes, just as you said, physical violence can be detected, but emotional abuse often goes unrecognized. Unless the person experiencing it decides to open up and talk about it, no one ever really gets to know what they are going through. Another loophole here, I believe is the fact that not everyone is able to draw the line between casual rebukes and emotional abuse, per se. You need to be able to recognize when a friend, or a parent or a loved one is descending into abusing you emotionally (manipulating, bullying, threatening, intimidating, offending verbally are all signs.) 

I'm attaching an article that addresses the symptoms of emotional abuse in a relationship. It would be best to seek professional help in the circumstance that these symptoms are occuring. Other than that, I would just like to assert that indeed, I believe the emotional abuse is much worse than physical abuse. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/traversing-the-inner-terrain/201609/when-is-it-emotional-abuse