ICD or DSM?

08 Jul
Name Confidential

The question of which is better- ICD or DSM can be traced from long back in time. Although the former is an international tool whereas the other is American still we prioritize the latter. Even in Indian institutes,there is an emphasis on DSM criteria. What can be the exact reasons?

Responses 1

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Sep 17, 2017 09:55 PM

hey there I hope you're doing well. I appreciate on how you have reached the very essential and a very psychological topic that requires a lot of attention and that is a lot of discussions are that have been prevailing in this field and the question still remain unsolved. So first of all it is very essential for you to understand what is ICD and what is a DSM criteria basically ICD is an international criteria and DSM is a criteria for mental disorders and abnormal behaviour that is followed by the American psychiatric Association which is legal and restricted legally to America however it is so reliable and valid that people use it throughout the world. ICD is something that has more economic value. So another major difference is that DSM is a more defined criteria and has a separate division for a specified type of disorder ICD has a less defined and divided disorders. Also the most important thing is that DSM gets revived more frequently than ICD there have been like frequent revisions in the DSM criteria and currently we are indulged in the DSM 5 criteria where is ICD 10 is the most prevalent lately. I hope this helps.

Book an appointment