How to deal with children with low IQ?

08 Jul
Name Confidential

I know a child who is in standard seven at present and he faces a lot of issues in comprehending things easily. He is unable to read and write as a child of his age would do. He has no basic knowledge of his curriculum subjects and it is very difficult to teach him. His mother is not keeping well these days and his father is busy with his work. There is not much attention paid to the child. In such a case, what should be done to help the child? As if he does not cope right now he will lag way behind his counterparts. Does he need professional help?

Responses 3

  • Deepti Trika
    Deepti Trika   Jul 27, 2017 12:35 AM


    First of all, I would really appreciate your awarness. It is very much commendable on your part that you are paying attention to the child's needs.

    I think it is pretty much clear that he does need professional help and it is highly recommended that it is done as soon as possible. 

    His parents must be informed at the earliest. They must be shown their child's performance. You can tell his parents to discuss this issue with a professional who can test his IQ. Also, try to find out if any other issue is bothering him, may be he is facing some issues in personal life which might make him feel depressed and less able to concentrate. So, it would be better if also consult a psychologist. 

    It is crucial time for his growth and hence should not be handled carelessly. A small step at this stage might prove to be of great help :) 


  • Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jul 14, 2017 04:24 PM


    It is nice to see that you are worried about the boy,in times when the world is moving towards selfishness.

    It is beneficial to have the family background since that affects the child,a lot. Please confirm that the child's mental disability continues for some time period,usually more than 6 months and is not due to a single stimuli or a subject.Then,the child might have different issues,from teaching problem to classroom inefficiency.If the problem can be generalized to all subjects and is present for a long time period,consulting a psychologist is not at all harmful.

    The child can be counselled and it can be found out what led to this.The teachers and the parents can have an interactive session and find out the reasons. Maybe the child really lags in intellect or maybe he has not been properly explained the subjects since we know how the Indian schooling system work.

    The child should be provided with ample space and time and should be able to explain why he is not able to concentrate.The parents should be counselled as well,with the child for more effectiveness.

    Please feel free to consult an expert here,at the forum.

    Hope this helps!

  • Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Jul 10, 2017 04:45 PM

    Hey, hope you are doing well.

    I once encountered one of my domestic helps child who had similar problems including lack of adequate knowledge, inability to comprehend at a suitable pace and yet continued to climb up the ladder of school classes because she was studying at a government school that did not care enough about each child.

    I think there could be two different paths; Firstly, it is possible that the child is falling behind because he/she does not get enought attention from his parents and does not have the necessary help to do well. Secondly, it is possible that the child is dyslexic or faces with some other learning disabilities that inhibits him from progressing. 

    Thus, I do recommend professional help so that you are able to firstly determine the exact problem and then see what kind of help he needs. A special school or guidance or something else.

    Hope this helps :)

Book an appointment