How to know which field of psychology is the one for us?

08 Jul
Shruti Gupta Dehradun

There are so many fields of psychology that we can seek career opportunities in. I am currently in the third year of my graduation in psychology and I am really confused which field I should choose for my masters. I have three fields of Psychology that I have an interest in and they Human Resource Management, Clinical Psychology, and Counseling Psychology. I am really confused when it comes to deciding which one of these is the best for me. I am really skeptical about how successful I would be in the field I choose. Please, suggest ways so that I take the right decision for myself.

Responses 4

• Heena Sheth
    Heena Sheth   Jul 22, 2017 12:34 AM

Hi Shruti!

One often remains undecided about which field to choose until their final year, you are no exception so firstly doesn’t be worried. Okay? The next thing you need to do is BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Don't engage in any negative thoughts about your future, try to refrain from indulging into them because they might demotivate you and might have negative consequences.

Since you have already shortlisted 3 areas where you would like to pursue your masters in, the next thing would be to explore all that there is about these fields. Along with the course work and syllabus of the field you also have to see whether or not you would thoroughly like the work set-up of the field you will eventually pursue your masters in, i.e. whether you like working in the specific set up. You could speak to professionals from the different fields, interact with them and find out how things actually work in their respective fields. See if you would be interested in working in the same ways the professionals in that field work. If you want to be sure then volunteer or intern at the different places and get an approximate idea of the situation.

Along with this, contemplate about which area has a deeper impact on you. Give it a thought or two regularly and I'm sure you will make a good decision.

And don't be skeptical, you're a well-read and hardworking individual, you will succeed in any field you go to.

Take Care :)

• Anjali Khurana
    Anjali Khurana   Jul 20, 2017 11:32 PM

you're at a crucial moment in your life where what you decide could essentially determine your future. hence, it is absolutely imperative to find out which area suits you the most.

here are some suggestions that could help you:

1) research - you may have already studied about these fields or may be studying about them currently, but it is important to remember that theory and practical life are two very separate entities. find out about post graduation choices offered to you by each field that match your preferences, find out about future job opportunities most suitable for you, speak to your seniors or others who are currently studying or working in these fields and ask them about their experiences etc. this will help you gain a better understanding of the workings of each field.

2) introspection - try to analyze your strengths, weaknesses, and capabilities - and match them with the demands of the work profiles of each field. which do you think suits you the most? you can also enlist the help of your fellow peers and family members and find out what, in their opinion, you are most suited for. talking to your teachers is also an absolute must: they are the ones who can help you decide which field is most suitable for you. 

3) work experience - try to do internships in all three fields and take the experience of their work firsthand : this will provide you with clear insight and enable you to decide not only where it is you would be interested in working, but also which is the best possible work environment for you to want to be in.

hope this is of help!

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jul 14, 2017 03:42 PM

Hey Shruti!

I know final year is a tough one. Even I have experienced excess anxiety and chaos regarding my masters. It is a life changing choice,after all. It is nice to know that you have narrowed down to three fields,each being equally respectable and highly demanded.

I would like to discuss each field one by one.

Human resource, is highly demanding yet not many universities in India have the course. This field requires a specialized degree which is available to Amity,Christ and the like. The course is yet to achieve it's status in India and is not as good if viewed in terms of placements.  The job profile is exactly like that of an HR manager.

Clinical offers a wide range of clinic and outpatient work. It basically deals with abnormality and cases beyond the reach of counsellors. It is highly in demanding. But a master's isn'y enough, an M.Phil. is  a must.

Counselling, has a wide range from school to hospital to old age homes. It requires a Masters,at least or a diploma with specialization. You have a wide range to choose from. This course is much in demand these days. A lot of top universities offer this course.

If you want to go abroad,then Psychology has other requirements as well which vary from country to country.

Hope this helps!

• Manaswini Venkateswaran
    Manaswini Venkateswaran   Jul 10, 2017 03:39 PM

Hi,

I completely understand! I too am in my final year of under graduation and confused about what to pursue as a master's. However, both my options are in more or less the same field - both deal with abnormality and helping those with psychological disorders. 

I guess you just have to choose the one that means the most to you. I am interested in helping those with depression and anxiety as I have experienced both of those things and no one was there for me or tried to understand my situation. The reason I want to go into it is that I don't want more people to feel as isolated as I did. 

However, I also take an interest in child psychology and helping those with developmental disorders, autism, and ADHD because I myself was never the best at performing in school. I was quite distracted and could never reach the potential that my parents and teachers thought I could. I feel like I would be able to relate to these children and be more sympathetic towards their issues. 

Don't worry, you will find your true calling eventually. Even if it's not now, it doesn't matter. Perhaps you will find something even better in the future. 

Good luck!

Book an appointment