Why is psychology still not acceptable?

Responses 3

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Jul 30, 2017 09:11 AM

Hello. I think it is not wrong that people go to temples instead of psychologists, as it is a way of gaining mental peace and even psychologists focus on that. The reason because of which psychology in India is not gaining the status which it deserves, is maybe because of the fact that people are not aware of this field or maybe it is because that people are not very much focused on mental well being in this age of cut-throat competition. Bringing that awareness is important if that is the case. People are lacking empathy these days, even this can be attributed to the lack of interest in the field and in turn, the lack of development of Psychology, after all interest in human behaviour is important for progress in the field. And if you want the end results to be good, you will consider to approach God not psychologist, won't you?

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Jul 11, 2017 11:33 AM

Hey, hope you are doing well :)

I do not think psychology and diety worship are two things we can draw parallels about. Psychology treats the mentally ill, what we want is recognition that psychological disorders are as harmful and real as physical disorders and patients of mental disorders need to be treated equally with the same amount of empathy atleast. Whereas diety worship is about having faith. Faith that there is something beyind humans who has power of us or faith in an external being. My grandmother visited the temple for my grandfather's wellbeing even when he had a brain tumor. So, however much society progresses, faith in god, is not about lack of faith in scientific advancement or psychologists but faith that 'god' will do us justice and he/she would give the patient the strength to deal with the treatment etc.

Hope this helps!

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Jul 08, 2017 07:45 PM

I think it’s okay that some people prefer temples instead of psychologists for their mental peace. Everyone has their own way of dealing with problems and if some people turn to spirituality to achieve peace then there is nothing wrong with it. Some people even prefer to go the temple when there is a physical illness or disease because it helps them deal with crisis situations better. According to psychological research, faith is a very powerful tool and it helps build resilience. Especially for people in adulthood, having a belief system guides them through the difficult losses that they experience in old age.  

It is true that there has been a lot of debate about spirituality among early psychologists. Freud believed that religion is a form of obsessional neurosis and it grew out of feelings of helplessness. Some of us may also believe that religion can be neurotic, in fact it is. I believe that some people can go to severe extents and behave in extreme manners in the name of religion. However, other psychologists like William James, Erich Fromm, Viktor Frankl and Abraham Maslow gave a lot of importance to spirituality. So yes, even today not all psychologists have the same viewpoint on the effects of spirituality on a person. This doesn't directly answer your question but the main idea that  I focused on is that people should be able to turn to any kind of resolve if it helps them function better. 

Book an appointment