Phobias and Fear?

09 Jul
Minaish Dhabhar

Hi everyone,

So I know all of us have our own fears and phobias, which is completely normal. However, in a lot of cases, these actually stop us from doing a lot of things that we generally shouldn't have a problem doing. 

So in these cases, how do you deal with fears and phobias? How do you stop being scared of something? And how do you know if your fear is rational?

I know the obvious answer is probably "face your fears" but it's a lot easier said than done, so do you have any tips and tricks for someone who does actually want to try facing their fears?

Thank you. 

Responses 3

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Jul 30, 2017 05:26 PM

Whether a relationship survives or not depends on countless factors. Firstly, it depends on how strong the bond is between the couple. What forms the base of their relationship? I believe the relationship must be built on trust, loyalty, mutual respect and openness rather than physical attraction and chemistry. Apart from that, it depends on where each person is living, their environment, whether it is a positive environment or whether they have personal problems to deal with. It also depends on how much time one can give their partner and he/she might have other work. In relationships one really has to make an effort and take out time to talk and have meaningful conversations.

Every relationship has its own problems and concerns but simply ending the relationship is not the only solution! Maybe things can get better between the couple. People always make mistakes that they regret later and I think all of us should at least try to make these people realize their mistakes so that they can become better people. I believe unless and until there is abuse, disrespect, complete disregard, or if there is no love, the first response should not be to end the relationship.

• Manaswini Venkateswaran
    Manaswini Venkateswaran   Jul 10, 2017 03:30 PM

Severe phobias come under the class of anxiety disorders and usually require a combined treatment comprising medication and therapy. The medication targets the symptoms of anxiety (which can be very severe in some, for e.g physical symptoms like sweating, trembling, palpitations, nausea) and the therapy targets the faulty thinking patterns associated with the fear object.

For e.g. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy aims at replacing undesirable thoughts related to the fear object with more desirable ones. If someone has a phobia of spiders, the therapist will train them to think of spiders as harmless and not be having the intention to harm. 

Systematic Desensitization slowly exposes the person to the object of their fear. The situations get more threatening as the sessions pass. For e.g. in the first session, a person who is afraid of dogs will be shown a picture of a dog and be taught to stay calm, while in the later sessions he/she may actually interact with a dog. 

Deep breathing exercises and meditation have been shown to work with mild to moderate anxiety and fear but for severe forms, intervention by a professional is recommended. They would be in a better position to advise you on how to deal with your condition. 

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jul 10, 2017 01:43 PM

Hello there!

Hope you doing well.

I totally agree that we all have some kind of phobias and fears.However,it is mutually difficult to face them,as better said than done. I had an intense fear of public speaking and socializing which stemmed from being looked down in school because of certain irrelevant issues being looks,social circle with boys and the like. It really out me down and I was so scared of socializing that I trembled badly. However,with time and the help of psychology,I decided it has to be done with.I would like to share some measures which have personally benefitted me.

There are a lot of techniques ranging from behavioral to cognitive to psychanalytical that help us overcome phobias and fears.

1. Freud way-

According to the King of psychoanalysis,any kind of phobia stems from repressed sexual urges which can be treated by free association,dream analysis.

2. Behavioral techniques-

It involves a lot of techniques through which the behaviour of the individual is modified and conditioned eventually. It includes exposure to the feared stimuli,flooding,counter conditioning,systematic desensitization.

3.CBT-

It is way through which the cognition and behaviour are altogether treated and conditioned towards a fearless behaviour. It includes journaling,cognitive restructuring,exposure.

4. Often things get so much out of control that medical help is to be seeked which is again very helpful but should be used as last resorts because of it's side effects.

Hope this helps.