What are some shows/documentaries about psychology?

11 Jul
Minaish Dhabhar

Hi guys,
Just wanted to know, doesn anyone know of any good shows, documentaries or film that are about psychology?

Sometimes the best way to learn is through these and there are a lot based on law, medicine, etc. but does anyone know a good series that gives psychological information and is informative while being entertaining.

I know some will be the more factual, informative documentary-type of shows, while others will be for entertainment purposes (BUT still end up teaching the viewer a lot about psychology).

I understand that this is a bit of a different question for this forum, but I think it'll really help spread some knowledge.

Responses 5

• Rimi Sharma
    Rimi Sharma   Jul 25, 2017 12:38 AM

These are the very popular thriller shows and movies which are available on Netflix and some are shown on TV : Hannibal, Dexter, Lie To Me, Lost etc. You will find them if you search on Google.com.

My personal favorite is A Beautiful Mind. It is a movie based on the life of Mathematician, John Nash, who suffers from Schizophrenia.

The other movies I have watched are Silver Linings Playbook, Black Swan (pretty dark), Shutter Island (it has Leonardo!!), Fight Club, Memento (concept is the same as that of Ghajni movie of Aamir Khan), The Silence of the Lambs, Requiem for a Dream, The Perks of Being a Wallflower (another favourite of mine).

You will find many others like these on Google and IMDB. So, do visit the website. I know these are not many names, and probably are the most common ones, but these are the only movies I have watched which had mentions of mental illnesses.

There is another extremely popular movie, Dear Zindagi. But, let us not just give all the credits to DZ for showing one side of Psychology. Remember Bhool Bhulaiya? It was a long time ago, but it did show us a side of psychology.

I hope this helps!

• Mukul Arora
    Mukul Arora   Jul 23, 2017 01:40 AM

Hey!

I am surprised that no one mentioned the show "In treatment" which is actually deals with psychotherapy and also "House MD". These bothare great and very popular shows porviding great insights to human behavior . I am not claiming that these shows are accurate in understanding human behavior but it is for viewers to judge although these both shows have been positively reviewed by some people for helping them in psychology. Hers is a small jist of both shows.

House MD :- A show about a drug addict doctor who has suffered a lot in past and treats patiens by unerstanding their behaviour and lot of philosophy. Along with soving some extraordinary medical cases he tries to figure out his life while dealing with his patients and their life experiences. 

In Treatment :- It's a show about a psychotherapist. He treats patiens just like any other counsellor. So 4 days he will treat his patiens on the 5th day he goes to his own psychotherapist . (This show in particular will help to develop listening skills and to understand what questions are must to ask by psychotherapist and things we need to keep in focus and how ironic it can be that psychotherapist might need help for themselves as well )

I would recommend watching both these shows. You will not regret it. 

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jul 21, 2017 12:49 PM

Hey there! 

Hope you doing well.

I do not specifically know about the shows that have a central theme of human behaviour or mental health. However, based on my observation,almost every second web series or movie has some deeper insiht to human behviour and we learn about people a nd personalities with every new movie or series we watch. Be it,Dear Zindagi that teaches how life is unpredictable and how one psychologist can change our life perspective to shows like Game of Thrones that includes everything a show can ever have from drama to comedy to tragedy.

However, following is a list of movies and series that provide an insight to psychology and human behaviour in general and I believe they teach a lot about life,as well.

1. ORPHAN

2. THIRTEEN REASONS WHY

3.FRIENDS

4.MAMMA

5.DEAR ZINDAGI

6.HANNIBAL

7.SHUTTER ISLAND

hope these help!

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Jul 13, 2017 06:54 PM

Hey, hope you are doing well!

The Mentalist : The protagonist, Patrick James assissts homecide detectives but he was previously know as a psychic.

Monk: This is a very old show. The protagonist is an exellent detective who suffers from obssessive cumpulsive disorder. The show follows the challenges he faces and overcomes while on duty.

Perception: This series follows a neuropsychiatrist, who uses his ways to help with criminal investigations.

Blindsided: This movie follows the journey of a black kid who is adopted into a white family and goes to a primrarily white school and plays football there. It shows the familys struggle with stereotypes, social influence and the kind of family relations that exist. This movie is based on the real life story.

Karthik Calling Karthik :Farhan Akhtar; an under-confident man; goes by the name Karthik. The movie show how his life goes upside down when he starts getting calls from a man also named Karthik.

Dear Zindagi: This follows the story of Aaliya Bhat, who has a troubled past and consequentially let's her present relationships with both family and friends be affected by it. It has Sharukhan starring as a therpist who helps her work through her issues and finally accept herself and her loved one's.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 12, 2017 08:56 PM

Hey,

I am not aware of many documentaries but a few good movies, i may suggest . They are interesting and at the same time help you learn quite a bit about psychology. If you surf the net you will be able to find many, though some of these are really liked are:

• A beautiful mind
    • Shutter island
    • Inception
    • Orphan
    • Sixth sense
    • A dangerous method
    • Silver lining playbook

Also, there is a show called Criminal minds. The theme and show is really great. I believe its seasons are not being aired currently but you can always go online and download the previous seasons.

HAPPY WATCHING!

Book an appointment