Missing my sister

11 Jul
Name Confidential

I miss my sister alot.She got married and settled in banglore before a month,which is long distance from me.I miss her so much,I didn't realize her value still she stays with me.I havn'e shared my personal with her.But now I miss her to share all my feelings.Those were the days I was hurting her alot but now I can realize her greatness of being calm whenever I make her angry,hurted etc.She was really great even I make her angry she stays calm ana apologize me even the thing goes worse because of me.What can I do now???

Responses 7

• Deepti Trika
    Deepti Trika   Jul 26, 2017 11:30 PM

Hi

Having an elder sister or a brother is an amazing blessing. They guide you, they fight with you but they still love you the most. They care like parents kiss. They give you an exposure to the world even before you face the world, they understand you like a friend and explain things to you like a parent. 

I understand what you feel.  I also did not realize value of my sister until she moved to another city for higher studies. You need NOT feel guilty because you were innocent and immature. It's okay because we often fail to realize the value of what we have right now. But it's okay. Your sister is still your sister. You realized her value that is the most important thing. Your relation will start improving now.

This is obviously not possible for you two to stay together all the time as earlier times, BUT.... distance cannot separate people. This is the best part.

To start your relationship from a new beginning, firstly, drop your guilt. Start calling her everyday. Make sure you talk everyday, even if it is for 5 minutes. Ask more about what is going in her life. Ask everything about her new phase of life. By the end of your conversation she will naturally ask about what is going on in your life.This will give you a sense of being in touch. About sharing your stuff, that will come out naturally when you start talking everyday. Make her feel missed. Make her feel special and important in your life.

• Rimi Sharma
    Rimi Sharma   Jul 25, 2017 01:04 AM

My sister has been living abroad since the past 5 years. We used to fight a lot when she was here. But, as we both are growing up, we realized that the bond of sisters is something that can only flourish with time. No matter the distance, there will always be love and understanding between two sisters, no matter the number of fights, arguments, disagreements.

Having an elder sister is a blessing. She takes all the chances and guides us through the same phases. And let us not forget the clothes which she lends us (and later, we end up stealing). There are many good things to remember about your sister. So, why sit alone and be sad? You can think of all the good things you sister did for you, and I am sure you will find plenty of memories from the past when you made your sister happy.

It is a good thing that you are telling your sister that you miss her. She should know. I always support my friends when they tell me they miss someone, and suggest them to tell this that to the person who they are missing. It makes the person feel wanted and also makes the bond stronger.

Apart from this, whenever your sister comes home, try to make things easier for her. Visit her often, if that makes it easier for you. You sister is only away from you because you both live in different places. But, you still have her beside you, in your heart and mind. I am sure that the things you have learnt from your sister are great gifts to carry forward in your life. Just be happy for the fact that you got the chance to be the younger sibling of such a wonderful person!

I hope this reduces your pain a little. Take care! :)

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Jul 21, 2017 12:37 PM

Hey there!

I hope you are doing well. Please know that people come and go and that is how life continues,nobody stays near us forever. we have to experience goodbyes as much as entries. 

Congratulations to your sister and good luck for her new life.

It is human nature to realize the importance of something once it is gone. Actually,it is not that we do not realize,it is that we thought the person is permanent and shall never leave us.

Your sister has just shifted a few miles away and let us thank the advancement in technology due to which we can always stay connected with people at far-off places.

It is nice to know that you have realized the importance of your sister's being in your life and that life feels incomplete without her. It is always better late than never,isn't it? 

The best you can do of now is support your parents,develop stronger bods with people around you and value their being in your lfie. Also,you can acknowledge to your sister,how much she means to you so that she also feels good about her,pamper her whenever possible and you cana lwasy stay in touch with social media and smartphones.

It shall take time but you will be able to adjust your lfie and you can always plan a visit to her place in sometime soon.

Hope this helps.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 12, 2017 09:08 PM

Hey

I can really very well relate to your situation right now. An year ago , my brother really meant nothing to me. It took only one day of my stay at the hostel to realise the importance of his presence in my life. The fact that the person who used to be with you 24X7 and the realisation that this is no longer possible, is really very unsettling. You need to understand that now the situations are such that you cannot be with your sister all day long. However, you cannot even keep on mulling over this all the time and remain sad. You need to figure out ways to keep yourself happy and at the same time maintain contacts with your sister:

• Who said that you cannot share feelings with your sister now? What is technology for? Install any video chat app , talk for hours to your sister. Share your feelings , days' events with her. Do let her know how much you love her and miss her. She will also feel really very great about this.
    • You may chat with  your sister, but you must also realise that this cannot go through all the day. She being married, she also has a new set of roles and responsiblities on her. Expecting her to speak to you ll day long is a bit illogical. For such times, when you feel alone, try looking for some hoibbies. They will keep you engaged. Go out with friends.Have fun with others as well.
    • Whenever you meet her next, enjoy to the fullest. Fight with her. After all, what else are siblings made for? Be sure though, not to hurt her in anyway. Have a great time with her.

GOOD LUCK!!

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Jul 12, 2017 05:27 PM

Hi there! 

We value something only when it's lost. Human nature, what can you do. 

It's great that you have finally realised your sister's importance in your life. Better later than never. 

With advancement in technology, communication has become easy. You can still stay in touch. You can call her up for chit chat or with the invention of video calls, you can Skype her. You can even indulge into text messages. 

You always have another chance to make up for what you did wrong. The next time you see her, give her a tight hug and embrace the intimacy that you are longing. I am sure she must have been missing you too. 

You can try to be the person she always wanted you to be. When the times comes to visit you, she can be a proud sister. Don't let distance take control of the relationship you share with her. She is the same person and you can always share your feelings with her, no matter where you are. 

• Priya Ratti
    Priya Ratti   Jul 12, 2017 12:51 PM

Hey,

I understand. When we have a sibling, although we love them very much, during the time that we live with them, there is some friction, inevitably. But of course, this friction does not impact the wonderful relation two siblings share because no matter what they love each other, at the end of the day.

When your sister was with you, you were used to her being around all the time, but now that she is gone, you can't help but realize her absence. In their own little ways, our siblings make our daily lives what they are. But when they go, their absence takes form of this vacuum you never really know what to do with. 

Your sister is married as you say, and she must feel sad being far from her family. She's the one who has left, after all; you and your parents are still together. So you should make sure you keep on commnicating with her on a daily basis. Stay in touch. If you want to share your problems with her, ask her what time she is free, and call her up. I'm sure she will understand, and definitely want to help you. 

You both love each other, so no distance can really pull you apart. Being married and going off is a part and parcel of life. She had to do it, she couldn't live with you forever. So, it is a change the you need to accept. 

• SAKSHI BAJAJ
    SAKSHI BAJAJ   Jul 11, 2017 11:27 PM

Hi,

I understand what you are going through.  My elder sister and I are very close too. She is in another city for her further studies and we used to do everything together, even shared a room. It gets really lonely sometimes. But I try to brave that, and be strong because she taught me that. She has made me the person that I am today. I will always love her more than anyone and now I don’t let the distance between us affect that anymore. Sometimes, people that we love go away in terms of distance, but they will always stay very close to our hearts. I would suggest that you work on your personality and do something that makes you happy. That will also help you keep distracted and not think about this major transition all the time. Also, it is very important to understand that while we love people with all of our heart, we have to be our own person. If you keep thinking about how she made you so happy, and life is insufferable now, you will end being miserable. Trust me, I know that. Don’t do this to yourself. I firmly believe in the saying that distance makes the heart grow fonder and I think you both should use this distance to strengthen you relationship even more. I hope you get out stronger. Take care.

Book an appointment