Is it ethical?

Responses 4

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 04, 2017 06:41 PM

Hi there,

There are two answers to this,and as you might've guessed,it is a yes and a no. It's all a choice as an individual,how would you combat a 

Now why I'd say yes,is because, no matter howmuchever the patient is poor or unable to pay further or any other reason by which your consultation fee is at stake,one must terminate his/her services as soon as possible,I'm not saying it's because your money is at stake,but because it is normal for any professional to not work without fee.

Whereas,on the other hand, trying to help a person in need is the best deed ever. Ignoring a person's needs and calls for help isn't generally what a professional would do. If it's in your capabilities to help the needy,then one must never hesitate to lend a helping hand. Although,if you've been duped by many such free clients then you must be cautious enough to not take in such clients and help them for free. 

So basically in the end, it's just a choice .. it simply depends on the circumstances and the situations in which the professional is in. One must always make a calculative yet a proper decision either to lend a helping hand or not waste time on free clients.

Hope this helps,thank you.

• Shruti Gupta Dehradun
    Shruti Gupta Dehradun   Jul 14, 2017 12:22 AM

Hey,

If you ask me whether I would terminate my session just because my client is unable to pay me for my services, my answer would be no as I feel it would be highly unprofessional to do so. Just like the medical profession, every other profession has its own protocol to follow and this protocol includes helping every individual who is in need of it. So if the need arises, I will not be hesitant in helping the person concerned irrespective of the fact whether I get paid or not.

As we are working as counselors to earn, it would not be convenient for us always to not get paid for the services we offer. Therefore, it is always better to inform the person about the payment structure you have and whether he will be able to pay you or not. You can always, reduce the amount as per the requirement in every case according to your client's financial status. Also, there can be other ways as well to help the person apart from the professional help. If you feel that the person really needs help, you can always help him on a personal level. 

This may, however, differ from person to person. Please note, that I am not saying that you should always help without expecting anything in return. There is nothing wrong in being a strict professional and if you want to offer your services and receive the appreciation you deserve, you are not wrong. 

Best wishes.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Jul 13, 2017 08:23 PM

Hey,

If you ask if it is really 'ethical' to terminate the counseling if someone is unable to pay, I may say NO. No matter what condition a person may be suffering, beginning the counseling, terminating it midway while leaving many of the patient's answers unquestioned and their queries unexplored can be very unsettling for the patient. This is in no way ethical.

On the flip side, if you consider if this is 'right for the counselor, well as a person counselor is also a person who needs to earn. Each and every time, we cannot afford to provide free sessions to individuals who are unable to pay. That wouldn't be good for us either. If you feel that it is possible for you to provide free sessions, well then, go ahead-nothing better than this. Otherwise, may be not.

To support others, it is necessary that at first we are settled and stable.

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Jul 13, 2017 07:06 PM

There could be different scenarios when this occurs.

1. Is the patient in the middle of therapy?
    2. Is the patient's financial condition related to his problem?
    3. Does the pateint have family or friends that could support him?
    4. Will severing communication make the patient's condition worse?
    5. Do you have the resources to help the patient?   
    6. Can you find an instituition that could support the patient or find support from governmental instituitions?
    7. Have you done everything to the best of your abilities to help the patient?

There could be several other questions surrounding the case. Hence, there cannot be a direct answer or yes/no answer if it is ethical to end councelling. Like councelling itself, it would be dependent on several factors that one would need to evaluate incase such a situation arises.