How to focus when you are sleepy?

01 Aug
Name Confidential

I sleep for 6 hours a day. That's appropriate hours of sleep, right? Yet I feel sleepy during classes. Not that I don't love subject but I still feel sleepy. It's so tough to keep my eyes open. I can't afford to be sleepy. I have 7 hours classes everyday. I can't focus on any if I am sleepy. What can I do to eliminate this sleepiness? 

Responses 11

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 09, 2017 05:14 PM

Hey there! Hope you are doing well.

Sleep is such an important factor in our life and plays a major role in our well-being. It is so important to sleep sufficiently and during proper timings so that we are active the entire day and do not fall asleep during work or feel lazy or restlessness during classes. Your time table is already so hectic that you need sleep of more than 6 hours.The 6 hour thing is just a myth,if we check in the busy schedule of modern times.Life is so hectice for a student or a working man, that we need more rest.

Following are the ways through which you can seek help and improve on your well-being.

1.You must sleep for at least 8 hours.

2.Sleep during appropriate night hours and do not stay awake till midnight.Although it is beneficial to wake up early.

3.Try involving yourself in workout or something of that sort.You can practice yoga and meditation that shall help you keep calm.

4.Avoid getting too much stressed,that also affects our well-being.

5.Avoid wasting time on electronice devices and take a power nap instead.

Hope this helps!

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 02, 2017 11:37 PM

Hello. Considering that you feel sleepy even if you feel you have got enough, maybe there is a need for more number of hours of sleep so try and sleep early or it can be the case that it is mere tiredness out of doing work and if you cannot doze off in that current moment, you can have some water as intake of water is effective towards reducing tiredness, wash your face or do something which wards off your need to sleep at the moment. Hope this helps.

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Aug 02, 2017 12:57 PM

Hii, hope you are doing well.

Even though most people recommend 8 hours of sleep to lead an active day and healthier life, I disagree. As a fellow college student and from a realistic perspective we cannot afford to sleep for more than 6 hours or our mind is plagued with guilt of time wasted. However, what is important is for you to sleep soundly for the 6 hours you do sleep for.You can take a couple of steps to ensure you sleep well and not in class:

• Put away your gadgets when you are about to go to sleep, read a book or a magazine to occupy yourself.
    • You can practice multiple muscle relaxation or breathing techniques for which you can find easy guidance on youtube.
    • Eat healthily and try and stay fit with morning walks or yoga if not the gym.
    • Keep yourself hydrated through out the day but more specifically during your classes.

Hope this is helpful :)

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 02, 2017 06:42 AM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your plight situation. People always feel drowsy and tired when they feel decreased response in external stimuli . Also sleeping during class hours is like a habit that happens in every student’s life. I can hereby suggest you something to eliminate your sleepiness.

1. Do some stretches:

While sitting in a chair and you feel sleepy just stretch your body and tap your fingers on the bench. Also use some pens, pencils to twirl around your hands. And drink some water which can refresh you.

1. Stay active:

Always stay active in class. Ask some questions and answers in class to your teacher. As your teacher teaches you note some formulas or notes in your note book. Don’t be afraid to raise your questions in class, some teachers may put you on the spot for a while because of any noticeable inattentiveness.

1. Stay fresh:

To stay fresh do some yoga and meditations during early morning.  Get a good sleep at night. Don’t skip your sleeping hours in night.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

• Sargam Chhabra
    Sargam Chhabra   Aug 02, 2017 01:04 AM

It has become very common where young adults don't sleep until late night, sometimes even at around 3 a.m. They get around 4-5 or maybe less hours to sleep which is not healthy for the body as the natural clock gets disrupted, and the next day they feel tiresome, distracted, sleepy, irritated etc. Lack of sleep could be due to a lot of reasons, but your main reason is prolonged stress and break-less classes. A mind can take only so much, hence a proper break between classes is really necessary. You have to get proper sleep and with your schedule, 6 hour sleep is not enough.  It should be at least for 8 hours. 

To get a good sleep, you could use following easy tips:

1. You should first set a fixed time to sleep and wake up. This would help you to have a mind-set and you would be prepared to sleep and wake up accordingly. Plus if you do this regularly, your body will get used to that time, and you will get accustomed to it.

2. Have light meals in the evening and 45 minutes before going to bed. Also avoid using any electronic device while going to sleep. 

3. You can try using various calming activities like reading a book, listening to music, take a warm bath to ease your tensions, do some stretching exercises to make your body feel more relaxed, keep the lights dim or completely turn them off to help sleep come easily, and make sure your bed is cozy and comfortable.

For any further suggestions, please click on the following link.

17 tips to help you sleep better

To manage stress in your institution, take power naps, i.e., short naps for about 20-30 minutes once during your classes to help you concentrate more. You can do some recreational activity like playing your favorite sport or hanging out ith your friends to calm your mind. Having a postive attitude also helps with the stress management.

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Aug 01, 2017 08:46 PM

Hey there,

Honestly, I think it would really help if you got more than 6 hours of sleep a day. The ideal number of hours of sleep recommended is 8, and I think it would make a world of difference if you added the extra two hours. 

Additionally, you can try to figure out what else is tiring you out throughout the day. Do you enjoy your college? What about your subjects? What else do you do during the day? 

Try and organise your daily routine and incorporate regular, constant and healthy sleep timings into your schedule and you should notice an improvement. 

Another tip, that someone has already mentioned in part below, is watch your diet. Cut down on the sugary drinks, the caffeine, the junk and opt for some fresh and healthy vegetables. Maybe snack on an apple when you're hungry, rather than a bag of chips. What you eat impacts your energy levels a lot. 

If you continue to feel lethargic, this could be a sign of something else. If this goes on for a while, you should consult a doctor who may be able to help you out more. Don't worry. 

Take care and good luck. 

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 01, 2017 07:46 PM

Hope you are having a great day. Sleep of 7-9 hours a day is a must for every teenager or adult or else this will affect your health and poor cognitive functioning. Firstly you should identify that why you are not getting enough sleep? If is this because of your study schedule, then you should fix this. Try to complete all your work during day or evening time. You can do the following things which will help you to remove sleepiness:

1) Drink as much water as you can.

2) Have a healthy diet with more fruits and green vegetables.

3) Just cut down your caffine intake.

4) Keep distractions away from bed-time.

5) Set a consistent wake up time. Dont delay your sleep time maximum ny 1 hour. For example if you go to bed by 11:00 pm then keep this only and if you wake by 6:00 am then continue this only. Dont disturb your cycle and if any reason you are unable to go to bed by 11:00 pm, then dont stretch it too long instead a ap of 1 hour is maximum.

5) If you are feeling sleepy in class then stretch a little. 

6) Get some sunlight as sunlight re arranges body sleep pattern. So a exposure to sunlight for around 15-20 minutes will help you.

Hope this will help.

• Rasi M Sethia
    Rasi M Sethia   Aug 01, 2017 07:31 PM

Hey, Sleep is important to stay emotianally, physically and mentally healthy. According to research findings humans needs maximum of 8-9 hours of sleep but this varies from individual to individual. Someindividual feels refreshed in 5 hours of sleep and some not even in 8 hours of sleep. 

It can be that your body requires 8-9 hours of sleep and that's why you feel sleepy even after sleeping for 6 hours. Try sleeping for more 2 hours. Take a hot water bath before you go to bed. It reduces stress and makes the body light helping you sleep peacefully. Avoiding doing any activities which strains your eyes like reading on tablets, watching tv, using laptop and mobile phones atleast half an hour before you go to bed. Sleep in the correct posture in a relaxed state. 

When you wake up in the morning, get up with a positive thought and in your mind make note of things you have to do on that day. This will boost your energy and ethusiasm and you will not feel lazy and sleepy the entire day. Even exercising in the morning or doing yoga removes drowsiness and wakes one up fully. Whenever you feel sleepy, shake your head, drink water and wash your face with water. Sitting in the chair in a lousy way also leads to drowsiness. Try to sit straight when in class and shift back your attention to the teacher whenever you distract. 

Stay happy :)

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 01, 2017 06:31 PM

Evening there,

No! 6 hours isn't enough for you. You need atleast 8 hours,and a times,even that's not enough.

I know so because I used to go through a terribly hectic schedule for almost nine months and I can feel you.

Seven hours of classes, I probably assume you're doing C.A or medical, although I wouldn't believe anything right now.

Now, given your hectic schedule, please give enough time to your health and sleep just as much you give classes.

Mobile needs to be kept away if you need proper sleep. I know, it's terribly painful to keep your mobile away from your bedside,given this generation,but trust me, staying up late and then regretting is is something we've all been through and it does no good.

Following a good balanced schedule and time management will help you in saving time to spend it with your loved ones,also it will give you time to study your syllabus and complete on time.

Ensure never to skip any lecturezeven if you feel sleepy,sleep but never miss the lecture.

I know, atleast if you go,you'll learn something,but if you don't you'll learn nothing.

Make a planned schedule and follow it religiously if you can. Hope this helps 

• Anushree Nandi
    Anushree Nandi   Aug 01, 2017 04:43 PM

If you sleep soundly for 6 hours then it is a good thing. But if the sleep is not sound, then even 6 hours is not enough.Mostly, the reason behind this can be when the thoughts occupy your mind before going to sleep.

To be able to control one's mind and control thoughts for a better sleep is an art. One method that can help in this is Meditation.

You could follow these steps before sleeping:

1) Close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing.

2) Dont pay attention to the thoughts that come to your mind

3) Count your breath and pay attention to your heartbeat along with it. Feel its rhythm decreasing slowly with your breaths.

Another factor which might be disturbing your sleep are your gadgets. Their bluelight has an effect on our sleep cycle. Hence keep your gadgets away at least an hour before going to sleep.

For a student at least 8 hours of sleep is necessary. You should hit the sack by 10 a.m. before each class. This is really important for efficient studies and it will also increase your concentration power which help you pay more attentiom to your classes as well along with not feeling drowsy in them.

• Reshma Venugopal
    Reshma Venugopal   Aug 01, 2017 01:28 PM

Hey there!

Your problem is a very common one. Almost all of us teenagers and younger people have the sleepy sickness especially during work or study hours. Surprisingly it all goes away when we party or do anything but study or work. 

Anyway, here are some tips to improve this problem, but you need to be committed to using these techniques, and planning for your daily schedules. 

1) You need more sleep. I'm sorry, while there are a very few blessed people in this world who can survive on just 6 hours of sleep, you clearly are not one of those people. The ideal amount of sleep an adult needs is about 7 to 9 hours of sleep. Teenagers need about 8-9 hours of sleep. So, 6 hours is really not doing it for you, so try and sleep earlier and for longer. And I'll also tell you a cool trick; when you sleep 7-8 hours, you tend to tell yourself that you've had enough sleep and that it is healthy to sleep this much. This will keep your mind awake because you will feel like you have had enough. 

2) Before bed, keep all of your gadgets and distractions away. Sleeping 7-8 hours means you need to be precise. If you are used to staying on your phone before bed, then do so, but give yourself a break of 15 mins before you completely sleep. Another fact is that if you use your phone in the dark, the chances of your mind being tricked is high. The light of the phone will get your mind to think that it is day time. 

3) Slow down on the caffeine. If you are used to having huge cups of coffee and RedBull through out the day, then there is bad news for you. They only keep you on a high for a few hours and then suddenly your energy levels will come crashing down. And that will just make you feel more tired. So maybe stop taking it after a certain time in the day and limit your intake. 

4) Try to be consistent with your wake up time. Follow a normal routine for waking up and continue it even on weekends if it permits you. And then gradually better your going to bed time. 

There are many more tips, but i feel like anyone with a hectic work schedule it won't be that practical. But you could definitely try to follow these. If you want to check out the rest, i am adding a link below. Feel free to check it out.

Book an appointment