Control over eating

05 Aug
Minaish Dhabhar

Hi guys,

So this is actually something I haven't seen being asked on the forum before. So I am someone who, very honestly, isn't a healthy person. With my eating, I barely ever eat "sabji" and I usually don't get my daily dose of nutrients in. That being said, I haven't suffered any health problems and am of normal weight. Basically, the apetite of a teenager, I know. However, when it comes to junk, I sometimes have no control. For example, I've already had my dinner BUT was mildly craving some fries so I ordered two portions.

I don't have it to such a large extent as others do, however, a lot of people suffer from eating disorders and medical problems due to little control over their eating. So how does one go about learning how to eat to live rather than live to eat?

Responses 3

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 09, 2017 09:36 PM

Hello. I liked your question as to how people should learn how to live to eat rather than living for eating. It is good that you are trying to find an effective solution to end your cravings for junk food. In such cases, our parents say that at a young age, you can easily eat and digest whatever you want but the real problem occurs in old age. I think you are surrounded by an environment from where you have easy access to such food. First, what you should do is that you should stay away from the places which induces such cravings. Also, you should have self-control. Even when I reach to my college canteen even I feel like having things like noodles, samosa, chips, patties. You should make up your mind to stay away from such things. I see that you have a sense of realisation added to it you need to realise the ill-effects which you might suffer because of consumption of such things. You acn also consult a dietician over this so that you know the right diet plan or even some counsellor over how you can control these cravings. Believe in yourself that you can break your cravings. Hope this helps. 

• Anushree Nandi
    Anushree Nandi   Aug 08, 2017 09:44 AM

In recent years, food addiction has become a popular idea among some scientists. Those researchers say that certain foods high in fat, sugar, and salt are addictive, causing changes in the brain similar to those made by drugs. Studies in animals have shown that rats that binge on sugar, for example, can develop signs of dependency.
    But the idea of food addiction is controversial. For one thing, the standard treatment for addiction is abstinence, and that’s not possible with food. Also, “dieting is a very strong component of the binge eating cycle,” May says. “From that standpoint, it’s counterproductive to label certain foods as negative.”
    Seek help. It can be hard to stop overeating on your own, particularly if there are deep-rooted emotional problems involved, says Robin B. Kanarek, PhD, professor of psychology at Tufts University. Working with a counselor can help you uncover the psychological triggers -- like a negative body image -- that may be driving your behavior.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 06, 2017 11:42 PM

Hey there!

Hope you are doing well.

I appreciate that you came up with the issue,so boldly.You are not only seeking solution for yourself but also those who suffer from the same issues but are afraid to speak up.True that healthy eating has not been a topic of active discussion earlier,but better late than never.

As a youngster myself,I can relate very well to the irregular eating habits and the junk food cravings forever.I am living away from home,so no real check which makes me more prone to such issues.However,the best part of the forum is that you have a normal weight since that expresses a lot about our health and body functioning.

You can do a lot to control such habits.Being a psychology sudent,you know the various eating disorders and it's harmful effects.

Following are some suggestions that can be implemented for a healthier lifestyle-

1.You can note down the list of all the food items you eat.Making a list will give you a guilt and an urge to improve.

2.Stop taking money or cash or coupons when you know that you are going to a place that has food stalls.Take only the money required otherwise.

3.Try eating properly and with stomach full so that you do not get midnight cravings or evening munching urge.

Hope this helps!

Book an appointment