05 Aug
Name Confidential

Since our parents are aging and we are becoming more mature and so much involved in our chores, we tend to overlook them in some situations. My mother has been a little unwell(nothing too serious) for the past 3-4 months and since college has reopened now, I feel so worried and unattentive in my class and the tasks I perform coz I am constantly thinking about her. Earlier I used to sit all by myself in my bedroom and be engaged with my phone or laptop but now I just want to spend more and more time with my parents. Whenever I see them with full attention I happen to become sad on thinking how I'd lose them and this makes me so anxious that it keeps my mind occupied more than I know. I've been feeling really sad about all this. I don't know if its normal for me to feel this way and be worried about losing them. Please help.

Responses 5

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 08, 2017 10:11 PM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. First of all , I really appreciate about your affection and care towards your parent’s. As nowadays children are more concerned with their friend’s and mobile phones and they never think about their parent’s care.

I hereby suggest you something helpful.

1. People will never know about value of something until we lose it. But when we know about the value of thing we never let them put in our life. As your mom feels bad, you were taking care of her, so you feel sad as you know the value of your mom’s love and care.
    2. Feel free in college. As you wake up do all the things which can help your mom to stay in peace or in rest. Like you can prepare her a hygienic food, wash her clothes and make clean of home. It really helps her in a great way. So you can also stay some what free in college.
    3. Also it will be too hard to do some home works like taking care of your mom and also to maintain your academic tasks. You may feel depressed and stressed to manage your timing. So you should prepare a perfect scheduling, which can give you a relief.

Hope, it helps you!!

Take Care  :)

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 07, 2017 03:33 PM

Hey there! 

Its natural for a person to worry about their parents. I worry too. However excessive negative thoughts hamper your present. 

Dont think too much about what will happen later. Focus on now. Live and enjoy the current time that you have with them. Take care of them and do as much as you can as a daughter. 

You need to accept that death is inevitable. Sometime or the other you will have to lose them. But it doesn't mean you will keep thinking about it. When you become sad because of this, your parents also see this and in turn become sad. 

Dont let your present thoughts ruin the life you have right now. 

Spend more quality time with them. Express your love as much as your can. Enjoy their presence as long as they are there. 

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 07, 2017 12:46 PM

Hello. The generation gap is common in this age. We as youngsters are so obsessed with ourselves, our needs and aspirations that we forget what our parents might be going through or even thinking about going and talking to them about how their day was. And yeah, at this age when you realise that your parents are growing old, this insecurity arises often, so it is somewhat normal to think that way. But not concentrating on your lectures due to thinking about your mother is definitely not a good sign. Our parents desire that we remain happy and in peace always. Your mother will feel more stressed if she gets to know about your lack of concentration in your studies because of her. Don't do that.

Instead, what you can do is to spend some time with her, keeping aside all your work. This will not just make her happy but also it will make you feel secured of your mother's well being. More power to you and your mother. Hope this helps. Take care!

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 06, 2017 11:14 PM

Hey there!

Hope you are doing well.

Much strength and good wishes for your mom,hope she recovers fast.

I am a youngster myself and can relate to the generation gap that starts taking place after a particular age. This is quite normal these days but is not right.

It takes a lot of time and maturity to realize that our parents are solely responsible for a success,now or ever.Had they not believed in us and had they not given us the liberty to pursue our dreams,only God knows whwere we would have landed.

It is nice to know that you have finally realized the importance of your parents.It is always better late than never.Isn't it?

You just said that things are normal with your mom's health.Please do not worry since you have to show support and handle your elders also.

It is not about falling ill,but about the realization that nothing lasts forever that is arising the love.It does not matter what causes good things,it is that they are caused.End of it.

So,for now,you can help your mom with possible all the ways and focus on your studies because your parents want to see you succeed.So the little reward we can give to their service is the success they expect from us.

Hope this helps!

APOORVA PANDEY   Aug 06, 2017 12:41 PM

This is a completely normal tendency and feeling for you to have. As parents age, and we grow up we all most of the times are surrounded by this strange concern , unexpressed anxiety for our parents well being. The parents who once meant everything to us, now when we see them frail , old , unable to take care of themelves and dependent, it saddens us a lot. How many times we think about it and the very thought that the people around whom we built up our lives, will not stay with us forever. It is sad but inevitable. The sooner we realsie this the better for us.

However, this shouldn't stop at mere realisation. More important than this is how we spend our time with them now. Try to keep them as happy as you can. Care for them. Don't baby them or make them too dependent on you but at the same time don't estrange them as well. They need our love and care. Never show up your anxiety in front of them. Try to become their pillar of strength rather than their object of worry. THis is way better than sitting around in a corner and getting anxious.

Book an appointment