What makes women suffer especially in India?

06 Aug
Name Confidential

We often come across these articles on social media platforms like Facebook WhatsApp etc. which tell us how the men are treated badly by their wives and how difficult it is to understand women but in reality it is mostly the opposite. Women today are in no way less than the men but still a woman has to compromise and the men sit back to watch her suffer. Domestic violence, rapes, molestations, acid attacks, workplace harrasment and what not a woman suffers and has been suffering from ages but still the situation is getting worse. Is it not the fault of the woman who allows that man to beat her, rape her or torcher her in any way possible? I agree that women are not as strong as men but are we not capable enough to protect our selves? Please share your views about why women choose to silently suffer than do something about it.

Responses 6

• Anjali Deshmukh
    Anjali Deshmukh   Aug 15, 2017 07:03 PM

Hey hi.

Good to see that you came up with this topic. We all are woman. We all have our rights but do we really have it? I don't think so. As soon as a talk about women comes up a debate breaks out. Always women are considered as a topic to be talked about. Whether it is the social media or the ministers. For politicians we are a tool to get the vote bank. And for the media we become a news. 

And it is not like woman have never tried to come out of their cocoon. It's practically very difficult. Even educated women have to undergo  lot of abuse starting from her school, college, office and sometimes even home. Women are not domicile. Nor do they get suppressed. They are the strongest of all. But all women especially Indian women have learnt to bear the pain silently. This is not something new. This is done through ages. Women are taught to abide by their parents, consider their husband as god and themselves as slaves. These age old tradition of a women being ready to sacrifice anything for her family has brought this plight.

A women is made to live in a set of rules and regulations. She isn't granted any freedom. All throughtout her life she is dependent first on her father and then her husband. No one ever asks her what she wants. What is her desire, her wish, her need. Being a woman practically everyday I go through this inequality in gender either in a big or small way. People advising me not to talk to boys, stay away from them, do your work, get back home in time and so on. These advises are unending and somehow I feel as if I am weak and incapable. But at that moment I get this fire in me that NO I can do things by myself because I am a woman not a robot to listen to people. 

Things cannot be changed in a day. But we can definitely take an initiative to change the perspective of atleast the people around us. A small chnage will lead to a bigger revolution someday. This will pave the path towards an India which has equality in gender.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 09, 2017 04:58 PM

Hello there! 

It's actually disheartening when one comes to know that few women choose to stay silent in the face of injustice and prejudices. 

Its mostly the women who belong from the lower background who are not aware of their rights and have been told that they don't deserve equal respect. They have manifested this mentality into their own thought patterns as well. It's because of this they never bother to raise their voice. 

Even if few women do raise their voice, their voices are suppressed by their family members. This is because the image of a women is a symbol of honour of the family. If she raises a question on her family, then the family reputation declines. She is threatened and harmed if she dares to speak against family. 

She is trapped due to her role as a mother. So many women continue facing domestic violence just because the father is the only person earning and they are dependent of him for living. Mothers don't do anything because the child will suffer. 

Empowerement of women and awareness about their rights can have a tremendous effect on the status of women in the society. The change must come from within, no matter how challenging it is to achieve it. Things get easier. 

• Anushree Nandi
    Anushree Nandi   Aug 08, 2017 01:33 PM

There are many reasons why this takes place in India.

First is society's shocking silence against such crimes against women, especially on those that take place in some remote corner of India and are not covered by the 'mainstream' media.

Second, vote bank-conscious politicians are afraid (and this is despite several court rulings) to ban these kangaroo courts because they control large chunks of votes and are useful during elections.

Third, the failure of the legal machinery to provide an easy, inexpensive judicial route to the people so that they don't end up in these courts that only believe in mob justice.

Fourth, the police's failure to redress complaints quickly and effectively. 

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 07, 2017 04:28 PM

Hello. As I saw in a previous answer, the root cause is the patriarchal notions in the society. It has been going on since a long time that women are not better than men are. Nowadays women are trying to reach at the level where men already are, I think there is some amount of jealousy in them. Also the fact that Indian families teach the women of their household to behave properly and obey to whatever the male members or the elderly members expect of her. So she needs to accept whatever is thrown on her whether it is love or abuse and if she has faced abuse, she should avoid talking about it, otherwise the society will look down upon her. This also answers as to why women choose to remain silent instead of raising their voices against the perpetrator. Despite the fact that they are mostly people who have known the victim.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 06, 2017 11:06 PM

Hey there!

Hope you are doing well.

I appreciate your concern over such a sensitive topic.

Being borna nd brought up in India and typicaly Indian context,I can very well relate to the problem faced by women. It is not restricted to women but the moment you are born as a female,you have to face a lot of hardships and trauma. That comes with our gender. Specially in middle and lower classes,scenario is even worse.

We all witness cases of discrimination,rapes,trauma and the like against the women but little do we hear anything that is being done by the people or the authorities. What matters is the solution and not the cribbing which is so much missing.

It is not anybody's fault at all,that such cases occur.It is the problem in the tabooed mindset of Indians in general.A woman cannot work for late because of safety issues neither can she go out. It is important to teach the boys how to respect instead of teaching the girl how to dress,then only things can change.

Mere cribbing shall not lead to anywhere,what matters is the solution and it's implementation. There are so many laws that are implemented by the government but strict execution is missing which spoils everything.

APOORVA PANDEY   Aug 06, 2017 12:20 PM

The situation is deeply rooted in the patriarchal notions of the society and a simplistic and a crisp answer to it is really not possible. What you say, 'should' be the ideal way out, a utopic thought that sounds great. Utopic, because considering the kind of society we are living in , it really isn't possible for women to act that ways. EVen if women resist from their side, considering the kind of people they are living around with, they will be shunned in the worst way possible. We are living in a country where marital rape is not considered an offence. Where each and every day , the 'ideal' standards of beauty are constantly being fed into our minds and where thousands of women are withering themselves away both physically and mentally to meet such standards. The place we live in has different set of norms for one gender and another set of norms for another gender. Where the character of a woman is judged by the length of her skirt and her morality by the way she sits- legs wide apart or close together. Wyouher no matter how economically independent you become, you still are expected to come back and cook for your family - all alone without any help. Where not only child birth but also child rearing has become a task 'natural' for a women to perform. Indeed, in all such cases , there is nothing to do with the biologies of men and women. Biology was and mus never become anyone's ultimate destiny.

Such issues have a root in the sociological factors around us. Women never allow themselves to be tortured. Infact they have never been given enough liberty to 'permit' or 'allow'. It is forced upon them.

Book an appointment