How many learning disabilities are there and how can we cope with them?

06 Aug
Name Confidential

How many learning disabilities are there and how can we recognise them. A child of one my acquaintances has a learning disability as he is not able to remember what he was taught just an hour ago. He claims that he tries his best to learn and remember what he learnt but he is somehow incapable of doing so. I have myself seen him studying hard but there is no retention at all. I feel what he needs at the moment is identification of his learning disability if he has any. How should I convince his parents to atleast consider taking professional help so that he does not lag behind his peers?

Responses 3

• Anushree Nandi
    Anushree Nandi   Aug 08, 2017 11:25 AM

Being told that your child has a disability can be as traumatizing as learning of a family member's sudden death. Many parents are stunned by such news. Receiving such a message can produce overwhelming emotions of shock, disbelief, anxiety, fear, and despair. Within that moment, research has shown that some parents cannot distinguish between the unconscious wish for an idealized normal child from an unthinkable, sudden reality of one who is not.

• Relay a diagnosis with compassion and an appropriate degree of hope for the child and parents. Research findings show that the manner in which a diagnosis is explained to parents can have a profound and prolonged effect on the parent's attitudes toward their child and professionals.
    • Ask parents how much and what types of communication they find helpful and build rapport with honesty and caring.
    • Encourage parents to ask questions and express their emotions.
    • Know the resources available to assist the child and parents.
    • Try to determine each time you communicate with the parents their level of adjustment and assess what they have been able to internalize and understand regarding what you have discussed.
    • Reinforce the practice of parent participation in helping their child learn and develop.
    • Readily admit to unknowns and seek answers to parents' inquiries.
    • Understand and accept parental ascendance through the stages of adjustment as being a normal process and support them. However, adjustment can speed the process of achieving acceptance. It can, in turn, provide educators and related personnel with a majority of knowledgeable and supportive parents to assist them in the demanding tasks of reasonably meeting all children's needs.Hope this helps.
  • Taarika Ratnam
    Taarika Ratnam   Aug 07, 2017 06:04 PM

There are multiple kinds of learning difficulties that are recognised by the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. Parents normally  do not like to think that there is something "wrong" with their child for multiple reasons. If their child needs help and their extended family finds out about and are not open to the idea of mental health then it will become very hard for the parents of the child. Normally parents discover that their child has a learning issue because the childs teacher would have noticed certain characteristics in the child which other children do not show. So it may help if the teacher talks to the parents and convinces them to go to a child psychologist. The earlier these things are diagnosed the faster one can start working with it.

When you are talking to the parents you can talk about the fact that a certain disorder doesnt  mean that a child can't function normally. But rather that they are weaker in some areas and therefore need help to catch up. For example a child who is not neccesarily good at Math can be very good at English. This could show them that the child needs help in certain areas. You can also help them see that having a particluar disorder isn't a bad thing even though it is made out to be so.  Unfortunatley you can only tell them and you cannot force them or convince them because in the end it is up to them. 

Learning disabilities  could include: ADHD, AUTISM, Dyslexia, Disgraphia and so on. It is best if they are diagnosed by a professional.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 06, 2017 09:16 PM

Hey there!

Hope you are doing well.

I appreciate your effort to help someone who needs psychological help.

Learning disabilities are of various types.

1. Dyscalculia is one where the child fears numbers and calculations.

2. Dyslexia is developed when a difficulty in reading is faced. The child is not able to read fluently or normally. 

3.Dysgraphia is developed when the child does not have clear,legible handwriting and facea difficulty in writing consistently.

4.There are also Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in which the person is unable to concentrate or focus on a particular task and is extremely responsive in various situations.

I believe that the parents should be convinced to visit a special educator or psychologist. 

The forum itself has so many experts who specialize in such problems and can helo the child in timely recovery so that the damage caused to the child is next to null.

Not being stereotypical here at all but the child might develop worse problems if at this stage he is overlooked and his problem might develop further.

The parents need to be counseled that the child might require special attention and also thay there is no harm in it.

Hope this helps!

Book an appointment