When will the stereotype end

06 Aug
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

We all come across cases where women are tortured or tormented just because they were expressing their right to freedom of speech or other. It is disappointing to see how movies after movies,series after series, news after news is published but nothing is done about it. People talk,it becomes the headlines for days and then the news fades away with the ink. What surprises me is the psychological state being undergone by these women and how much stress their life gives besides the everyday work. What matters is just how the men are getting satisfied and how their means are receiving ends. When will women be allowed soace so that their psychology is understand and empathized?

Responses 3

• Anjali Deshmukh
    Anjali Deshmukh   Aug 15, 2017 06:37 PM

These kind of questions stir up or should I say provokes the woman in me. Why are we always treated like a slave ??? This bothers me a lot. We aren't some play toy which can be used and thrown in whichever way wanted. Whenever a woman raises her voice against this hypocrissy, she is silenced. Either by her whole family or the society. Our country is just contradicting its statements for years now. They say empower women and next they say that women are going out of hands. Being feminist is something which is unacceptable in this society. This double minded nature is getting on our nerves.

But we are still considered as the weaker gender. No matter what achievement a woman does, she is still not better than a man. They say that world is changing, even the cinema has changed. But do you know that cinema changes only for two and half hours of the movie. Movie ends, change ends. Our film industry has brought many women centric movies such as "Kahani", " Mardani", "Queen", "NH-10","DOR", "English vinglish", "Maatra","Piku","Pink" and so on. Every movie has revealed the strength, the thought of today's women. Her feelings, her freedom is being showcased in a beautiful way but everyone watches it just as a movie, but not as truth. Revolution hasn't come yet.

We are still striving for our rights to speak, to live the way we want. We all are feminist at heart, but how many of us will admit it? Being a feminist is to be proud. There is nothing wrong in being a feminist. We have our own life and our own choices. It's high time that we show our worth to the society. We are not going to be suppressed by male dominant society anymore. So women of all ages.. Please say hiii to yourself and bye to criticism!!!! :)

• Anushree Nandi
    Anushree Nandi   Aug 08, 2017 10:41 AM

Hey

I have a few suggestions that might help in a proffessional scenario cause i think baby steps can help so one scenario at a time.

Here are few ways you can ensure that you’re being heard in meetings, instead of glossed over and ignore.

First things first: ensure that you’re in attendance to the important meetings that involve you, your department, and your job — just being there is half of the battle. If you’re being excluded from said meetings, then take it up with the organizers or whoever is in charge and make your voice heard. Be clear with your requests, but always do it in a professional manner. 

As with many things in life, preparation is key. Knowing who will be in attendance, what will be discussed, and what is the expected outcome for each meeting will help you start on the right foot. If you have time before a meeting, consider having a pre-meeting to go over some of your talking points with a couple of trusted colleagues — like a mock meeting, if you will. It’s also a good idea to jot down your questions, concerns, talking points, etc. before heading into the meeting so that you don’t forget them once the meeting and opinions have commenced.

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Just because you’re at a meeting and speaking, doesn’t necessarily mean you’re being heard. If you feel as though you’re being overlooked or not heard, then don’t be afraid to voice your opinion a second or third time. It helps to have someone at the meeting who is willing to support you and acknowledge and validate your input.

• Heena Sheth
    Heena Sheth   Aug 07, 2017 08:47 PM

Hey Ayushi,

I cannot begin to express how these questions have also bothered me for a long time. I really wish that one day we live in the world where our opinions are heard, respected and discussed not because we belong to this "weaker sex", or because men are obligated to hear our views as well, but because women are crucial to the survival of the human race.

Movies, tv shows, news, songs and all of these aspects of media do bring out the importance of a women's voice and her opinion. But sadly, they are unable to create a lasting impact with the masses. But again we can't only rely on them to bring about the huge change that we want. You see, all of these last for a few hours on screen time, and most people watch them because they are "women-centric". Once the movie is over or the series comes to an end, we remember it for a few days and then again out of sight becomes out of mind. The major problem is that all these are looked up as a "novelty item" in the monotony of male dominated movies. series etc.

Women who achieve tremendous feats need to be congratulated, felicitated and appreciated at a larger scale because they inspire thousands of other women to dream and excel.

This is why we need feminism, to inspire and motivate other women, to have aims and aspirations in life and not just live their life at how the men tell them to.

Book an appointment