overcoming smocking

06 Aug
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

I have a friend who is very much into smocking. He asked my best friedn out in school but she refused because of this smoking problem only. He wants to leave it but sayd that it is impossible now. He started smoking when he was in ninth grade,which is too early an exposure for anything of the like. I myself really like him but smoking is something that always portrays him as negative and all his good qualities go down the drain. I want to help. His girlfriend smokes too and so do all his friends,so it is hard.He has tried quitting it by the chewing gums and medicines but nothing helps. How can I help?

Responses 5

• Anushree Nandi
    Anushree Nandi   Aug 08, 2017 01:46 PM
    There is a tried way to stop smoking which might help him.
    Choose a date for when your plan will start. Committing to a start date adds structure to your plan. 
     Pick a date within the next 2 weeks. This gives you time to prepare and start on a day that isn't stressful, important, would otherwise lead you to smoke.
    Pick a method. Decide which method you would want to use, like quitting cold turkey, or slowing/reducing your use. Quitting cold turkey means that you completely stop smoking without looking back. Reducing your use means smoking less and less until you've stopped. If you pick reducing your means, be specific about when and by how much you will reduce your use. 
     You'll have a better chance of success if you combine counseling and medication with stopping, regardless of which method you choose.
    Prepare for cravings. Have a plan in advance for when cravings strike. You might try hand-to-mouth. This describes the action of moving your hand to your mouth for smoking. Have a replacement to fulfill this need. Try snacking on low-calorie snacks, like raisins, popcorn, or pretzels, when this urge comes up.
     You might try exercising to combat cravings. Go for a walk, clean the kitchen, or do some yoga. You might also try to control your impulses by squeezing a stress ball or chewing gum when cravings hit.
  • Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 08, 2017 06:39 AM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. Nowadays student are mostly affected by this problem. It’s really major in India which makes us really shame and sad. We and everyone should try their best. We, everyone should try their best by first retrieving their friend’s, family members from this addiction. So, I can hereby suggest you something to help your friend.

1. Make him busy:

Try to make your friend always busy which can just distract him from the addiction. Also, making him busy in his passion can really help him better. And quitting from the smoke totally in a day is impossible also it affects his physical and mental health.

1. Yoga and meditations:

Ask your friend to attend some yoga and meditations classes which can really heplp him better to resolve his addiction towards smoking.

1. Counselors and thereapists:

You can also suggest your friend a good counselors and psychiatrists as he was addicted to smoke from ninth grade they can really help him to rid over from this addiction. Nowadays counselors are also available through online. Recently, I came to know about one of the best online counselors is eWellness Expert, who can resolve all kind of depression, stress, anxiety, addiction and mental disorders.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

• Reshma Venugopal
    Reshma Venugopal   Aug 07, 2017 06:48 PM

Smoking has become such a trend lately, that it astounds me that half of them who do it are educated, people. The worst part is, that they are all young. I did not know that people can be so easy to persuade and convince when it comes to doing these things. They call it a choice, but I would believe that if it was years ago. Nowadays, I don't see any other reason for smoking, except to show off. Youngsters do it only because they think it is cool to smoke. There is literally no other reason because I am sure if you went through school, then this was basic knowledge you gain when you enter middle and high school. 

No doubt, some people do it as a choice, but the damaging effects of smoking are something only one should understand and be aware of it. To be honest, there is not much you can do, but tell him once that you don't like it. But that is about it. You can't do anything more or less. Smoking, just like many other addictions can't be helped unless the person is willing to help themselves. All of my friends smoke, so does a very important person to me. But I have tried everything, including threatening to end the friendship, but that only agitates them more. They go on doing it because they can't stop it. They don't see anything wrong with it, and the worst thing is that they are all young. They don't see how badly it is affecting their relationships, or how badly it is ruining so many relationships for the future. When a person smokes, it is more damaging for the people around him or her, their families and friends. But they won't see it because they are so blinded with the concept of "Fitting in" which eventually lead to this addiction. 

But unless and until they don't see the effect of it on their health, and reach their body's peak, they are not going to stop. Medicines and chewing gums are only a small way that could help. The majority of the help only lies within the individual's mind, that is the only way they can help it. They are not going to stop otherwise, and the only thing that you can do is to stay out of it and let them eventually come to terms with the fact that they have a problem. 

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 07, 2017 03:06 PM

Hello there! 

There are various models in Psychology for promoting better health and prevention. One such model is change belief model where the person is motivated to change the detrimental habit because his close ones don't support it and because he is encouraged to do so. If he knows that people don't accept this habit of his, he might put more strength into stopping this habit. It's very important that he know he can change it. If he thinks that it is impossible for him to achieve this goal, he probably won't be able to do so. 

He can join certain groups which help in quiting smoking. This way he will have peers who are on the same level as his and he will have more support. One friend can always stop the other friend when he is too weak to control impulses. 

There is a learning behaviour of rewards and punishment. The person can be rewarded if he successfully manages one week without smoking. Reward could be in the form of things he likes. Punishment could be boycotting him. 

• Taarika Ratnam
    Taarika Ratnam   Aug 07, 2017 01:36 PM

It is really nice to see that you are concrned for your friend. There are multiple things that can be done, however all strategies to help individuals overcome smoking do take sometime and are not going to happen overnight.  Firstly, he should meet a proffesional. This is important because when individuals stop smoking their body starts to feel deprived and as a result he could become very irritable or cranky.You can also ask him or help him observe if there is a particular pattern to his smoking. By this i mean are there any particular situtions that make him want to smoke more? If one notices a pattern then he can sit down with a counseler and work on changing this pattern. For example if he notices that he starts smoking when he is stressed then he and the counseller can work on it. The counseller can help him come up with different stratagies to deal with the stress effectively so that he does not resort to smoking. As a friend you should encourage him when he doesn't smoke however you shouldn't put too much pressure on him as that might make him irritated. Also if his group of friends is constantly smoking  then he may be smoking becauseof peer pressure which will make it hard for him to suddenly to stop.  On the whole the main aim should be to reduce the amount he smokes over a period of time.

Your role as a friend apart from getting him proffessional help could include:

1) Like I mentioned before encourage him

2) Keep checking in on him every now and then

3) Maybe you could sit down with him and help him make a plan to stop smoking.

4) Keep him busy

5) Show him that you are there for him and will not judge him and he can tell you anything.

6) Keep triggers such as lighters and ciggerates away from him

7) Finally, you can kep showing him how much he has improved.

Book an appointment