How to stop body shaming?

Responses 8

• Anjali Deshmukh
    Anjali Deshmukh   Aug 13, 2017 10:35 AM

Hi dear,

It's great that you raised this question about how to stop body shaming in the forum. But first we need to know what exactly does body shaming mean. Critizing or mocking at someone's body shape and size is body shaming. And this happens only with women. Why only women? Because in our supposedly great society womens are considered as tools to attract men. 

Whether it is a magazine or a tv ad commercial or a movie, a perfect womrn is the one who looks hot, has great curves, has fair skin and has perfect body proportion. It is almost like objectifying a women. And sadly we all are forced to have a PERFECT BODY. Almost everyday we get taunts from our family members and neighbours. Stuffs like " OH SHE HAS PUT ON WEIGHT. TELL HER TO REDUCE OR SHE WON'T GET A GOOD GUY" or something like " BABE DON'T BE SO PLUMPY, NO GUY WILL ACCEPT A PUNCHBAG AS A GIRLFRIEND". GOSH!!! I can go on and on about this. When its not the body then it is the shaving of body hairs. Why are mean considered as HOT with body hairs and women as an outcaste?? NO one can actually answer this. But we all are made to follow certain set of definitions of being a female and it is a pity.

Now this is the problem at hand, then what is the solution. The solution is simple SELF ACCEPTANCE. Accept yourself without any changes. Whether you are too fat or too lean, too fair or too wheatish whatever may be just be happy about yourself. Beauty isn't just skin deep, it is the one which shows who you are from within. Your character, intelligence are the traits which counts.

Don't body shame!!! Be youself and love yourself. Thats the first step to remove body shaming. Be proud of your body with flaws. As they say "BEAUTY IS IN THE BEHOLDERS EYES". Don't let yourself be humiliated by anyone and wait for that man who is man enough to accept you as you are.

Be the change and soon you will see the change around you. smile

• Nimisha singh
    Nimisha singh   Aug 08, 2017 08:17 PM

Hey there!

I really appriciate you to bring this very important issue. Body shaming has becaome a major issue these days. Every girl wants to to be slim and thin as it is also appretiated by the society. Our society always discourages a person who has fat. what we need to realise that beauty does not lie in the shape of our body or our race but it lies within us. Beauty is not external but internal.

To attain a slim body girls follow inappropriate directions and myth which leads them to health problems. Also in order to acheive this ideol figure girls with more weight go through various emotional problems, they face a time to accept their body. This leads them to eating disorder anorexia nervosa, in which they try to loose their weight by fasting.

We need to create awarness in the society that everyone is perfect in their own ways.

Also proper counseling should be provided to those in need. As facing this issue may affect our psychological well being.

strict actions should be taken against those who does body shaming. This is a very serious and a common problem in youth and it needs to stop.

• Anushree Nandi
    Anushree Nandi   Aug 08, 2017 10:27 AM

Body shaming has become a hot topic nowadays yet we still compare ourselves with the models.

Once we all embrace our own unique body types, the body shaming trolls out there will have no power left.
    Staying healthy shouldn’t be about how thin you are. By all means, share your workout tips, delicious healthy snack recipes, and even progress photos you’re proud of, but do it because you want to inspire other people to feel as good as you do about yourself, not to make people jealous of how thin you are.
    Not everyone can look like a Victoria’s Secret model, and that’s totally fine. Curvy women, athletic women, thin women, and everything in between, you’re all perfect in your own way.
    Worries about body imperfections have a lot to do what people think when they see you naked. Of course, guys have the right to be attracted to what they are attracted to, but they don’t have the right to make you feel bad if you don’t fit their ideal flawlessly.He’s free to move along, because you deserve better.
    There are always certain trends that look best on certain body types, but there’s no reason you can’t find a variation of the trend that works for you. Crop tops aren’t just for skinny girls, and anyone can wear horizontal stripes— you just have to own it.
    Buy the magazine that puts a plus-sized girl on the cover. Praise brands that use minimal re-touching. Get in on conversations and share your support of the body acceptance movement.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 07, 2017 11:56 PM

Hey there!

Hope you are doing well.

I totally agree that body shaming has become so common these days and it something that needs to be stopped as soon as possible.It is doing so much harm that we can not even imagine.However,only the media cannot be blamed for this.It was started from there but the people also follow fashion and pop stars so religiously that they forget the difference between virtual wants and reality.They all want to be like the screenstars without weighing the difference of lifestyles.All that glitters is not gold,even the one's that are epitome of perfect figures also suggest that things should not go this wrong and health should be a priority.

At personal level,we can do little,but drop by drop,is an ocean made.So we can stop looking down on someone with an unappealing body image and instead focus on how beautiful the heart of that person would be.We must protest whenever possible against body shaming.There has to develop a spark inside others against the sensitivity of the topic.The most important thing according to me is to make sure that we love ourselves,no matter how we look.We have to be the change we wwish to see.We have to feel comfortable in that tiny dress or where a loose t-shirt to a party if I want to.

Hope this helps!

• Heena Sheth
    Heena Sheth   Aug 07, 2017 08:11 PM

Women have been expected to have an ideal body type to be considered "attractive" and "sexy" otherwise they're not worthy of any attention. This has been the belief and is still is in many parts of our society. Body shaming has been a major issue in our society that has not only made women feel bad about themselves but also impacted men for a very long time.

This society that we live in has set certain norms of beauty-  you need to have the fairest skin, the most beautiful eyes, a thin body, beautiful long hair and every day we hear new things being added to this list. Even though we've grown up hearing the saying of  "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder", while growing up we have heard other women tell us things like "don't play in the sun, your skin will darken" and many other statements that try to dictate to us how we should "appear" as a "women" or a "girl".  It is sad that even in the 21st century, we are "expected" to follow a "conventional beauty standards".

Every step, every initiative taken by every person against body shaming is like a drop that makes the ocean. To overcome the problem of body shaming in society, I think each and every one of us needs to first and foremost learn to accept ourselves the way we are and learn to respect other people's choices. If a person doesn't wish to be skinny, respect that decision. If a person wants to be skinny respect it too. At the same time, we must educate ourselves about  HEALTHY LIVING AND HEALTHY LIFESTYLE. Being fat or thin doesn't matter when you have a healthy body. Remember, HEALTH IS WEALTH.

With the growing influence of media, social media models and well-known celebrities need to spread this concept to the masses, because it is actually these celebrities whom the common people look forward to for trends.  Just yesterday, Hilary Duff, posted a picture on her social media with a beautiful caption.  It read as follows :

"I am posting this on behalf of young girls, women, and mothers of all ages. I'm enjoying a vacation with my son after a long season of shooting and being away from him for weeks at a time over those months. Since websites and magazines love to share 'celeb flaws' - well I have them! My body has given me the greatest gift of my life: Luca, 5 years ago. I'm turning 30 in September and my body is healthy and gets me where I need to go. Ladies, let's be proud of what we've got and stop wasting precious time in the day wishing we were different, better, and unflawed. You guys (you know who you are!) already know how to ruin a good time, and now you are body shamers as well"

Here's hoping that one day we live in a world where the beauty is seen in a person's soul and not just their physical features.

APOORVA PANDEY   Aug 07, 2017 07:48 PM

You switch on the Tv and you are bombarded with numerous advertisements showing various fashion models. One thing runs common to all- they are all thin, fair and tall. You open up a fashion magazine and the same pattern is repeated. Repeatedly showing such images have made the image of the so called perfect beauty so deeply seated in our minds. If we are overweight , it’s a problem. Underweight- then again its a problem.We want the ‘just right’ body. But we really don’t know what it is. Researches have shown that women have much more distorted versions of their bodies than men do.

I was recently watching a TED x talk by Professor Kanika Ahuja. There she has beautifully dealt with the issue of body image and this tendency among women. I suggest you go and watch that- really bears answers to many of your questions.

The basic way to tackle such negative perceptions of one's body is to cultivate a high level of self-confidence and self-esteem. Be confident in your own right. The way you are you are the best. You are bestowed with other talents that far surpass any other standards of physical beauty laid down by the society.

• Reshma Venugopal
    Reshma Venugopal   Aug 07, 2017 06:02 PM

Hey there!

A very relevant question for us today. You are right, women are constantly expected to look a certain way. It doesn't just end there, women are expected to behave and do things in a certain way, even after the so called improvements have been made in this area, thanks to the importance given to feminists. But really, do we really stay in a world where these things don't affect us? The same magazines, shows and other media that supposedly preach women to "be themselves" and "be comfortable" in their own skin, will show the skinniest or "hottest" girls as the cover of that article or story.

The problem does not end there. As women, we tend to be people pleasers. We get carried away and affected by words so easily, that we just listen to whatever is told to us. This happens at home, when your own mother taunts you for being a certain way, or when your boy friend or friends comment on your body. Instead of being confident and comfortable in our own skin, a few words make us feel like the most pathetic humans on earth. We feel worthless and that leads to less confidence. 

It is the same thing with body shaming or having a body hair. I think it should all be a choice. Just like how men have the choice to have man buns or beards. We should have the freedom and choice to do and look the way we want to. But for that, you as a woman should be sure about what that choice you make will be. You need to be clear in your own head what you want. People are always going to talk regardless of what you wear or how many pounds you reduced. You have to be clear in your head. Be adamant about who you want to be. This way what people say won't affect you in any way. Be healthy and be happy. Keep a positive attitude towards life, and I think this is a training women should give to one another. Mothers, sisters, aunts, girl friends, we need to all encourage one another to be positive about who we are. This will then set a trend, which social media will have to follow. The trend has already started with plus-sized models, but if you see them too they have also started setting a standard to look a certain way, however, this is still better than nothing. 

Confidence is something we need to set for ourselves, and not let anyone else set it for us. I would further reccommend listening to Model Ashley Graham's speech about body image and self-confidence. She is a true hero in this field. 

Hope this helps. 

• Taarika Ratnam
    Taarika Ratnam   Aug 07, 2017 05:21 PM

Multiple things can be done to stop body shaming.  For one if people are more exposed to a celebrities  life behind the screens people can become aware of how much pressure is put on them to look a certain way. On the whole peoples mindset has to be changed to give beauty a new definition. I think if you talk to anybody they will all have atleast one thing that they dont like about thier body( me included).  So, one of the first steps, however hard it may be is to accept your own body. After this one may have may more courage to deal with other peoples comments about them. 

On a bigger note we should start asking for the media to show women and men of different  shapes and sizes and that they shoud not  be potrayed in a negative way. One could start an online petition or join a campaighn to help fight body shaming.

Also the way in which people talk about size between theselves has to change. If you go to a changing room in a mall you constantly hear people saying " does this make me look fat?" or "my arms look too big".  People have to start being more confident. 

Lastly if you know someone who is not happy with her or his body and is unable to function and do daily tasks, one should help refer them to a professional.

On a happier note there some things are changing. Myntra for example has started using different sized models. 

Book an appointment