helping a child

08 Aug
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

I have this little boy in my neighbourhood who is hardly 9 years of age.He is very smart and talks much more than his age.He has been going to school and has been doing well but recently his mother told me that his maths is degrading day by day.When at home,he practices and solves every equation but back in school he fails to even attempt it and his marks suffer.When I interacted,he was very vocal about his problem and said that the teacher is not good.I tried convincing his parents but they fail to understand.They think that when everybody is studying,then why is he only creating trouble an dthink that their child is wrong.What can I do to help?

Responses 3

• Anjali Deshmukh
    Anjali Deshmukh   Aug 15, 2017 06:03 PM

Hey Hi.

Mathematics is one very interesting yet complicated subject. And everyone have this typical thing that if a person cannot solve maths then his/her IQ is low. But maths is a subject which should be solved with interest. This boy has the interest and urge to solve but doesn't have proper guidance.

Parents shouldnot blame the children for everything related to academics. It's not the fault of child always. Sometimes external factors can also result in the degradation of a child's marks. Parents should try to understand the situation of children. An open talk is necessary at this point. The teacher might not be too clear with her concept or may be she lacks interaction with this particular child. So it becomes necessary for the child to go and talk with the teacher and lay down his difficulties. Every problem can be resolved with an open talk instead of presuming things. Things can be more simpler but the parents should not pressurize the child or he may undergo depression and lack of interest in the subject. Children of younger age are way too sensitive and hence they should be handled with utmost care. And their mentality should be understood.

Hope this will be of help. 

• Nimisha singh
    Nimisha singh   Aug 08, 2017 07:19 PM

Hey there!

I really like your concern. Maths is a subject that has been purely associated with intelligence. No matter how good the child is performing in other subjects and different co-curricular area if he/she is not doing well in maths then he/she is labelled as a person with a low IQ level. Thats the main reason why most of our parents encourage us to take engineering as a courier.

If we look in this situation, maybe the boy is not interested in the particular subject or maybe he is right. It can be that the teacher is strict and the boy being shy cannot make attempts to clear he doubts and other children may find no problem in interacting with the teacher. That can be the reason why the parents think that the problem is within their child. The best solution can be that you can explain this situation to the parents and ask them to talk to the teacher and request her/him to be a little polite or to bring a change in the teaching pattern to make it interesting and apealing. 

You can also ask the teacher to start the class with some energizers or a talk sesssion to make the children feel fresh and easy.

I hope this helps

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 08, 2017 01:14 PM

Hey there! 

Notions related to academics and education have been severely impaired. It's very easy for parents to blame their own child before looking at other factors that might have been affecting his academics. In this case, it's the teacher who is not able to teach him properly. 

Infact it could be a possibility that the teacher is actually pretty good at teaching but she is not able to interact with this one child. The teacher has to handle a lot of students, these situation arise often. 

A parent teacher meeting will help in this situation. The parents can tell the teacher what all the child is saying about the lessons and where they think he lacks skills and needs more attention, the teacher can provide her view about what all criterias and plans she follows for better learning. The child can also express where he is facing difficulty and through what all ways he can be helped. 

Its important that people have an open mind about this. It's okay to have a flaw, it just requires regular practice and open communication. 

Book an appointment