How do I positively vent out my frustration?

08 Aug
Sanjna Verma

Hello everyone!

I have noticed this thing in myself quite often that when my plans are not fulfilled easily according to my wish, I get easily frustrated. For instance, yesterday I got frustrated due to the fact that I had to write an article and my brother was working on the laptop. I was getting frustrated that I have to submit the article today itself and I was not getting the laptop. On the other side my father was constantly questioning me about an incident wherein me and my brother had indulged in an ugly fight. I did not want to talk about it plus I was worried about the article. And such things have happened many a times. What should I do to channel my frustration out in a positive manner?

Responses 6

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Aug 21, 2017 01:26 AM

It’s okay to feel frustrated. We usually feel frustrated when things don’t go the way wanted it to. There can be severe reactions to frustration like anger, stress and loss of self-confidence. We want to try to avoid overreacting to the frustration. Like I said before it is okay to be frustrated, and it would unrealistic to believe that you can completely stop feeling frustrated. Nevertheless, you can find ways that will help you lessen the frustration and help you deal with it in a positive way.

I would suggest that first you should take a couple deep breaths when you start feeling frustrated. It should calm you down a little bit. If your frustration is making you really angry, then you should deal with that anger in the most positive way possible. For example, you can start working out, go to the gym, or do some push-ups at home. You can also play a sport which will allow you to let out your anger and frustration. 

You may also try self-talk to understand why you are frustrated. Understanding the reasons behind our emotions often helps us deal with it in a better way. So you can try to understand that by self-talk. Think about the things that just happened which eventually lead you to feel this way and try to evaluate whether your thoughts are rational or irrational.

• Anushree Nandi
    Anushree Nandi   Aug 10, 2017 10:27 AM

Sometimes the best way to clear your thoughts is to get away. Unfortunately, we can't always afford or have the time to go on vacation. So pick up a book. Reading allows you to escape from your life for a few hours and also is likely to give you a new perspective on things. Plus, it is easy to find reading that is relevant to whatever pickle you may have found yourself in and is likely to give you sound advice.

If you're pissed then you may need to sweat it out. It can be difficult to motivate yourself to go to the gym, but when you can, use your anger and frustration to your benefit. Get your heart rate up and get the blood flowing. The chemicals that your body releases during such bouts of fitness training will do wonders towards calming your body and soul.

It sounds silly, but screaming can literally reduce your pain. Screaming has been adapted by all sorts of animals as a way of letting others know that something is wrong. Sometimes you need to scream as a way of acknowledging that you have a problem. Plus, it feels really good. Try it.

Two heads are better than one when it comes to figuring out solutions to problems. Two heads are also better than one when it comes to dealing with stress. If you are having a difficult time or on the verge of a possible mental breakdown, then go and talk to someone. Often at times knowing that there's someone there for you, that you have support, is enough to help you get through the most difficult of times.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 09, 2017 09:35 PM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. The only way is to stay calm  when you feel frustrated. It’s really hard to start over but it really helps you better. As you have mentioned in your post, of getting frustrated due to your brother’s actions. You can stay calm and wait for your brother’s laptop. As you were waiting your brother also feels  concerned about you, and can help you. But being frustrated, and getting your mood down will increase your depression.

You can do some yoga and meditations regularly to stay calm and to reduce your depression level.  People will never know about value of the things until they lose it. So, you should stay calm to avoid those plight situation in your life. Also can consult some counselors or psychiatrist to resolve your depression.  Nowadays counselors are also available through online and I strongly recommend eWellness Expert, who were the best counselors to resolve all kind of depression, stress, anxiety and relationship issues.

Hope, it helps you!!

Take Care  :)

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 09, 2017 08:34 AM

Hey there! 

Sometimes small things frustrate us. We get so frustrated that we lose control and end up ruining other people's mood as well. Therefore, it's very important to control your emotions and better manage them. 

One way of solving this problem is by writing it down. Sometimes we don't want to talk to anyone about anything when we are stressed. It's when you should try writing things down. Whatever you are feeling, just pen it down. After you have finished, you will feel lighter. 

You can even talk to your friend, not talk, just speak and ask for advices regarding things. I know you wouldn't want to talk but it actually helps. 

Different people do things differently to cope up with frustration. Few practice meditation, few go out for walks because greenery soothes mind, few listen to music while few others sleep to relax their mind from exhaustion. Choose what activity you would want to indulge in to get over your frustrtaion. You can even choose a hobby that you like to do. You can practice quick breathing exercises as well. 

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Aug 08, 2017 10:54 PM

Hi there,

I know what it feels like to have a phase where everything frustrates you. It can be...well, frustrating! 
    I think it would really help you to introspect and figure out what is causing this frustration deep down, though. Internally, even if you don't realise it, something may be stressing you out.

For me, personally, I had some college decisions to make and while I thought I was very chilled out about it, it was causing me to lash out at family members (and I only realised that this was the reason, later) which is something I still regret.

To prevent all this, I really consider trying to figure out if there's something maybe bothering you. If there doesn't seem t obe a reason, maybe speak to a therapist about it, I'm sure they'd be able to help you.

As for managing the frustration, I urge you to try yoga or meditation - there are so many benefits, you'll genuinely be a much happier person and I cannot empphasise the importance of that enough. 

Apart from that, indulge your energy into something you love - for me, I get frustrated if I don't get time to listen to my music at least once a day or once in two days. For you, this may be dance, music, spports, art, anything. Indulge!

Good luck, and don't worry.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 08, 2017 08:29 PM

Hey there!

Hope you are doing well.

It is quite normal to feel this way,sometimes. We often react abruptly to things that deserve normal reactions.It is very much humane to think or act instantly without reconsidering things otherwise.However,the maturity comes into play when we realize the difference between right and wrong and that is where we learn.

It is important for you to know that it was the situation that led you to react in that manner and not your trait. It was perhaps the deadline of the article that scared you off and you did not want to suffer any repurcussions so you felt tensed and therefore reacted.Secondly,about your fight with your sibling,please know that two people cannot live in harmony without fighting.The bond develops through differences,always.Regarding your father,you both are his children so it is natural for him to worry about you and make sure that nothing goes out of hand between you two.Since for him,you both are his small dear children and he wants you to be safe and happy.

If you still feel anxious you can start some physical workout so that you can vent your feelings and some fat out.Also,try meditating since that helps in keeping calm.

Hope this helps!

Book an appointment