How can I improve myself?

09 Aug
Name Confidential

Hello everyone! There are many times in class, it happens with me that the professor is discussing some topic in class and then she turns to us for certain answers. Sometimes I give accurate answers and at times I do not come up with any ideas and my classmates come up with quite good answers. It makes me feel at times that why didn't this idea come in my head? I begin to feel something is wrong with me. It makes me feel I hardly know anything and my classmates are so good. I want to be like them. Is it normal to think like that? What should I do to overcome this?

Responses 6

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 13, 2017 08:14 PM

Hope you are doing good. Firstly you should remember that comparing yourself is not good for you as it will only gives you anxiety and you will end up feeling bad about you. You just have to be your best versiona nd you can achieve this by improving yourself on daily basis. Learn something new each day and don't feel ashamed if you don't come up with good ideas as others because you should accept that everyone is different and everyone thinks differently. But always remember life is all about learning and you should be willing to learn each and everyday from everyone and don't feel bad about it. When you learn everyday and take this positively, soon you will better than your past self and you should have only this goal. Just to better than your past self.

Yes it is normal to think like that and so many people think like that but this problem can be solved. Just do the right thing and learn each day and don't compare yourself. And one day you will be the best version of yourself.

Hope this will help.

• Rasi M Sethia
    Rasi M Sethia   Aug 13, 2017 12:08 AM

Most of the students go through the same thing you went through. This happens to me even. When I am not able to answer a question and my classmates are, I feel miserable as if I don't know anything and everyone is superior to me. You need not worry about this feeling. At times our mind is occupied with certain things that we are not be able to think of any idea or any creative answer to the question asked. Since nothing comes to our mind, we think that the question asked is a difficult and tricky one and not everyone will be able to answer that. By thinking this way we unconsciously console ourselves of failing to answer. But when someone does answers, we feel ashamed and guilty of not thinking much and why didn't this come to my mind! It is normal to feel this way. You may not be aware that these feelings at times serve as a motivation to work and study harder. Whenever we are not able to answer something and someone esle does, it hurts us and we thus desire to become better than our classmates. This way these emotions acts as a driving force to perform better and prove ourselves and match our ideal self. 

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 10, 2017 09:01 PM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. And I truly agree with your statement. As I come across those kind of situation. I really feel down in those situation which makes me to think like, I am a dumb I don’t know anything, I am going to fail in my life. Later, when I came back home I just realize my strength and weakness and start to work on my strength. Like, If my strength is Mathematics, I will study mathematics and try to get centum  and good marks in Mathematics, which makes me to be unique at least in one subject.

Also surround yourself with optimistic people which can really enhance your talent. Nowadays world is full of criticizer who always down as when we try to step forward in life. So surround yourself with the people who can motivates you even the small things you achieve or try. If you have a good and caring friend, she corrects you when you were wrong also clarifies your doubt of questions that were asked by your professor. Try to be attentive in class to understand about the concepts taught in class.

Hope, it helps you!!

Take Care  :)

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 10, 2017 01:34 PM

Hello there! 

Its okay to think like that. We all want to be the best and when we see others who are better, we automatically feel intimidated and want to be more like them. It's okay to feel like this till you are inspired to be better. However, continuous comparison might have a negative impact on your self esteem and you will gradually lose confidence in yourself. 

Every individual is different. If your other classmates come up with better answer, it doesn't mean you are any less. It just means that they have better presence of mind or that they are more creative or maybe they have an aptitude for this subject. If you want to be the one who comes up with brilliant answers, try studying the course that the teacher is going to teach a day before. This way you will be ready for questions. 

Sometimes we focus too much on answering the questions that we compromise with the quality. Just to answer more number of questions, we don't give quality answers. So think carefully before answering. Don't answer a question in the pressure that this answer has to be best. Answer it because you think it's right and let's not forget that we are all subjective, it's all about different views. 

• Anushree Nandi
    Anushree Nandi   Aug 10, 2017 10:04 AM

It is normal to comapre yourself with others in class. But there are ways to enhace your performance. Hope these help.

Speaking up at the very beginning of that day’s class helps because then you might not compare
    yourself to the comments of other students.

Make a connection with your teacher outside class. This way you can feel like someone knows
    you and is on your side as you speak.

Try sitting in the front of the class and focusing your attention on someone who feels safe, such
    as your instructor or a friend.

Ask the instructor if there are other ways you might participate besides speaking in class, such as
    sending a comment or question via email before class.

Choose the class in which you most want to try to participate rather than thinking you have to
    make these changes in every class and all-at-once; for example, this can be a class you feel more
    comfortable speaking in or a class in which you want to begin to speak.

Prepare a question or comment before class, and/or practice out loud to yourself or with a

Have some strategies ready to calm yourself down before you prepare to speak: breathe deeply;
    try giving yourself a pep talk such as, “I can do this” or “what’s the worst that can happen” or
    “I’ll survive, even if I feel embarrassed” and “I have something to offer to the class.”

Remind yourself of your own reasons for choosing to speak up. For example, “I want to learn
    more” or “I’ll feel good about myself if I speak up.”

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 09, 2017 06:04 PM

Hey there,

I understand your insecurities and I'm here to assure you that yes,it is perfectly normal to not get certain answers whenever it is demanded.

Now,it happens with all of us,during certain circumstances where quick thinking and presence of mine is required,you turn blank and nothing but a whisper escapes your lips. This kind of nervousness or dim presence of mine is quite normal. 

You need to focus more on your grasping power,if you're either unclear about what the teacher is teaching or not sure if your answers and relevant to what the teacher has asked. You can take tips from your friends as to how they answer questions in a jiffy. This creates a good bond of friendship.

Trust me, nothing is wrong with you. You're absolutely normal in all senses and I'm glad you're one of those who atleast, not everytime like Hermione Granger,but try to answer a question which is being asked,and not remain quiet and ignorant about it. 

Like I mentioned before, you can try improving your sentence structure so you give precise and crisp answers. Try consulting your friends as to how do they think smartly and also, believe in yourself.

Wishing you all the best for future.

Book an appointment